Laptop crash - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and can't reboot..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heppsan, Sep 13, 2016.

1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    My PC crashed today.. . :screamcat::sob:
    Got a sad smiley ":(" on a blue screen telling me my computer had a problem and needs to restart, collecting error info for you and then restart.
    If you like to know more search for CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error later.
    So far so good.
    But the laptop didn't restart, it booted up in bios, so I thought this doesn't feels right and called Asus support.
    They told me to reinstall and set the PC back to factory settings.
    The problem is that after 2 hours and 23% in to the process, I got another error, saying the computer had a problem and can't be reinstalled.. .
    Was going to try to do the reinstallation again, but now I can't get out of the bios, the safe start when pressing F9 don't work anymore!..
    All I get is a red error message on a black screen saying
    "Secure boot violation
    Invalid signature detected.
    Check secure boot policy in setup"
    When pressing OK I get right back to bios..??.

The guy on Asus told me to send it in for repair, but before I do that I just thought I check with you guys to see if some PC handy can have an idea.

Had this with an old laptop in the house the other day, so thought it might be a windows 10 update fail of some sort, but that one was restarting as normal and working fine after the restart.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    The laptop is sent to Asus for diagnosis / repair, but don't know the verdict yet.
    However, now I'm strongly considering upgrading to a VR ready laptop.
    Have been looking at these two:

ASUS ROG G752VS-GC018T 17,3":
    Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz, Turboboost 3.5 GHz
    16GB RAM DDR4 SDRAM 2133 MHz / PC4-17000
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GDDR5 SDRAM
    256GB PCIe SSD, 1TB HDD / 7200 rpm - SATA 6 Gb/s.

And:

ASUS ROG GL502VM-FY022T 15.6"
    Intel Core i7 6700HQ / 2.6 GHz, Boost up to 3.5 GHz
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM 2133 MHz / PC4-17000
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 6 GB GDDR5 SDRAM
    128 GB SSD, M.2 SATA 6 Gb/s, 1 TB HDD / 7200 rpm - SATA 3 Gb/s

The bigger screen of the first is a waste do to VR, and I guess that more than 8GB of Ram is overkill when it comes to gaming?
    But don't know how much better the GTX 1070 8GB are compared to GTX 1060 6GB?
    Or if it's worth spending another $1180 for the first one with 8GB extra Ram, 128GB more SSD space (will only be used for OS) and the GTX 1070 with 8GB over the GTX 1060 with 6GB?..