Left foot braking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DoctorFrazierCrane, Jun 1, 2016.

1. DoctorFrazierCrane

DoctorFrazierCrane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Anyone any tips on this? I've only just come across it, and I've remapped some of my controls so now I have the clutch on a button on the steering wheel.

I'm sure a lot (most? ALL!!!??) of you guys have used this for years, but I think it could be the secret to better lap times.

Any thoughts / tips etc?

2. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Depends on the car if you find the rear is unstable on downshift you should try use heel toe. I still would keep my clutch as a pedal if i were u just for starts. personally when im driving clutchless i still right foot brake and don;t loose much time. it might take a be a few microseconds less to hit the break but i dont think it some kind of magic method that makes u a instant alien.

3. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply - any reasons why you recommend clutch as pedal and not button?

4. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    much better for starting and controlling wheel spin. after that u can just ignore it for the rest of the race(unless u come to a stop). also gives you the option to heel toe if you need to.

5. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Ok thanks! :)

I feel like I thought I was a good swimmer....then realised I am out of the area in the kids pool where you can put your foot on the bottom...not only that but the entire contents of the pool are now in the path of an oncoming tsunami!

6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Paddle shifting and left foot braking all the way for me. Has been for years.

7. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

Because if a simple button would be good, real car wouldn't not use clutch pedal ;)
    Pedal will give you analog input, witch is more accurate.
    And a button on the wheel is really not a good thing when it come to operate something like this: How would you do when you're wheel is rotate 180 ° ? Or when you trying to recover you're car from a spin and moving the wheel from on side to other?

Think about it: would you have the brake or the accelerator as a wheel button ? I don't think so.. so is for the clutch ;)

PS: and yes: Formula1 use a clutch paddle (even still not a ON/OFF button) behind the wheel, but it's a different story ;)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Because a clutch has a biting point which cannot be replicated with a digital button.

9. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Left foot braking, yes all the way, from the first time i got a peddle set and would seriously struggle now if i went to RF braking.
    On a short track with few turns it probably dosnt make a huge difference, somewhere like Nords i would imagine there is significant time to be gained.
    I cant try and explain the hows and the whys but i would say do it and keep doing it till your comfortable with it, drive your best lap now with RF braking, practice left foot braking for a while and i think you will see the benefits for yourself.
    Lots of info out there, Google is your friend ;)

When i had a two peddle system i used a button for the clutch, only used at the start, you can change the sensitivity ingame but it is kind of irrelevant when your only using it for the start, use it how your comfortable.

10. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0

I left foot brake in most cars, keep at it and you'll be comfortable with it soon enough. That said as shown above in real world racing it depends on the car and the driver. For sim racing unless you want to have the fun of heel & toe H-shifter action, just go left foot braking.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    when I drive a car with sequential gearbox I use left foot for braking.

When I use a car with H-shifter and I have to use the clutch I use the right foot for braking (and heel & toe) while the left foot operates the clutch... as soon as I don't have to shift another gear I switch with the left foot to the braking pedal and right foot on gas pedal only.
    Also in corners where I don't have to shift I use left foot for braking .. then I use the brake for small corrections while the right foot is still on throttle. This is the fastest method for me because it would take too long to switch from gas pedal to brake pedal.. and I don't get corrections precise enough when I just release the gas pedal. So better stay on gas and brake a bit.. you have to play with both pedals to get the optimum for your driving style.
    This way my cornering really improved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Angel Of Attack

Angel Of Attack New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  13. Bodaz0815

Bodaz0815 Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I must reveal myself here, i have no driving license but i do racing sims since GTR1, I ever brake with my left foot because I don't know it better :pensive: also my floor is a bit slippy and I feel much more "safe" when I have my foot "balanced" on my pedals.

14. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Pretty impossible to trail brake right foot braking and all the quick boy's tend to brake to apex, accelerate from apex. Tapping the front brake under acceleration can gain a bit of extra front grip and a must in a front wheel drive, IMO I would switch to left foot braking, persevere, you will not only become quicker but have more control in general.
    Take a tip from the Pro's, plenty of online vids, you won't find one using his right foot to brake but they are in an industry that spends millions to gain thousanths so depends entirely on how serious you want to take it!

15. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    i trail break right foot, just need a quick foot.

16. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I think you've just given me a golden nugget of advice without realising it....

...I am a slow driver. Pretty useless actually. I was somewhat encouraged last night though....

For some reason I decided to try Automobillista again just against the AI for some relaxing 'you can reset if you crash racing'.

Normally I struggle with the AI on anything over 80%. But I stuck it on 100% and left the AI in the dust. Maybe it's just iRacing helped if for no other reason than I am learning to be more careful as there's no 'reset' option.

But it was a nice surprise. If I continue to be crap against the online aliens but can race reasonably competently at 'good' AI speeds then I'll be happy.