Lift-Off Oversteer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by big metal fan, Jan 4, 2016.

1. big metal fan

big metal fan Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Guys, I am having a hell of a time trying to make the 2014 WTCC class go fast. Basically, I've started in the Civic, and if I can do a whole lap without spinning the car, it's an achievement. I'm on "get real" physics. I understand what's happening with lift-off oversteer, but as much conscious attention I'm giving to my downshift RPM, and care in gently closing the throttle, the issue persists.

Are there any tips, tricks, or FWD settings that anyone may have to offer? Thanks in advance.

2. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    Don´t downshift while you turn into a corner.
    You have to go smooth into a corner so move your wheel slowly, otherwise your rear says hello.
    And touch the throttle a little bit if you car gets too much oversteer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    It may not be the fastest bit of advice, but a good method is to lift a bit early (while the car is straight) and let the weight settle onto all four corners before giving any steering inputs. Once the weight has settled it's far more accepting of directional changes, it's when all your weight is shifted toward the front that you get in trouble. So basically, lift off the throttle about 0.5-1 second before you hit the brakes/turn the wheel and just let the car settle for a moment.

4. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Wow I find the 2014 wtcc one of the easier cars to maintain...fast is a different story. I agree with downshift before the corner. If you do have to downshift mid corner (for me usually just to prepare for accelation) make sure car is already stable and foot is on gas at least some. I found especially with no clutch keeping *some* gas on even on tight corners helps a ton to keep car aimed and stable.

Maybe what I'm trying to say is don't coast. Apologies if this is all old news to you. I'm not the fastest guy either, just someone who has had similar issues, in other cars at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    By the way great user name!! \m/

6. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Downshift for a corner to a gear that will allow decent RPM to keep the car in check when you start turning in. Hold the throttle whenever you're not braking unless you're going through a fairly tight corner.
    I know it's almost never a good idea to mess with the setup before learning a car but as a last resort up the coast setting and soften the rear ARB a tiny bit. Also, mess with the default final gear ratio a bit; I've found out that it's usually off by one click on most tracks. You'll know you have it right when the engine doesn't bog down through and exiting a corner.

As a final note, don't worry if you get slight oversteer sometimes. It doesn't hurt you all that much unless you're entering a fairly long straight.