Logitech g27 with ECCI pedals

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wsimonds04, Aug 9, 2021.

1. wsimonds04

wsimonds04 Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Wondering if anyone is using a Logitech G27 wheel with a set of ECCI 6000 pedals. I was just given the pedals, and although they have the same 9pin connector that the Logitech pedals have, when I plug the ECCI into the port on the wheel where the original pedals connect, they are not recognized in the Logitech profile calibration program.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I use a set of ECCI pedals originally plugged in to my Logitech Dfgt. After I changed to the Fanatec CSL wheel, I ordered a USB adapter from Leo Bodnar and now the ECCI pedals plugged directly to the USB ports. Bodnar's USB adapter converts the analog signals from the ECCI pedals into USB. Highly recommended it.

This is the one I got and the Ecci-6000 works much better as it has 8 bits resolution (255 counts) and now Bodnar adapter converts it into 10 bits (1024 counts):. http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=97&products_id=187

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  3. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Looking at bodnar's link, it looks like the pedals should work even plugging directly to your wheel, as the adapter is for all g25, g27, Dfgt pedals and that implies that they are all the same. My ECCI-6000 worked directly with my Logitech DFGT's 9-pin port before I replaced with the Fanatec and then I needed the adapter..

4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried diview? If not download it and see if your getting any inputs from the pedals registering ,
    It can be downloaded from the bodnar pages , its free
    There are many youtube vids on how to use it

Andi

5. wsimonds04

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to all for the help. I'll try the diview first when I get home from work.
    Cheers

6. wsimonds04

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Im at a bit of a lose. I downloaded DIview, and I also bought a 9pin-to-USB adaptor
    In DIview, my G27 pedals work fine when they are plugged into the 9pin port on the G27 wheel.
    When I plug the ECCI pedals or the G27 pedals into the USB adaptor, DIview does not seem to recognize them
    Also when I go to the logitech controller to try and calibrate, it doesn't recognize either pedals if they are plugged into the USB adaptor.
    The adaptor I bought was this.
    USB to RS232 Adapter with PL2303 Chipset, CableCreation USB 2.0 Male to RS232 Female Gold Plated DB9 Serial Converter for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2000, Linux and Mac OS X 10.6 and Above,Black : Amazon.ca: Industrial & Scientific
    Cheers

7. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It's not a simple USB to rs232. Your adapter didn't work. It's not rs232 coming out of the pedals. It's analog signals from the potentiometers. Bodnar's adapter that I gave in my link has a ADC (analog to digital converter) that converts the signals into digital then to USB for it to work. Only the Bodnar adapter will work with it. Or you can build one with a Arduino but the cost will be similar. Bodnar's is the way to go

8. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It looks like a 9-pin rs232 but the assignment of pins coming out of the ECCI pedals are not rs232.
    By the way, never assume all 9-pin are the same. They are not. Unless it's a specific standard like rs-232. The reason 9-pin connectors are widely used in the industry for all kinds of purposes is because it's cheap and widely available when one needs to run a connection from one end to another. Otherwise you will have to custom made your own connectors and cables. The assignments are up to the designers. I can wire pin 1,2,3 for my throttle and wheel, while John Smith from another company can decide to use pin 5,6,7 for his throttle and wheel. Of course my throttle won't work with his wheel and vice versa and we don't care because I'm not making throttle for John Smith. See?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  9. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    You said your g27 plugged in to your wheel, it worked but the ECCI plugged in to the wheel, it didn't work. Is the cable from ECCI a cable that looks like a phone cable, with a RJ 45 connector that plugs in to the pedal base, and the other end is the 9_pin male connector?

10. wsimonds04

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Michael. I did not know there was a difference. I 'assumed' a 9pin to USB were all the same. I'll look into getting the correct one you suggested.
    The cable from the EECI is as shown in the attached pictures. The first photo is the 9pin connector. The other end is wired to the 'pots' as shown in the 2nd picture. The 3rd photo shows the Male 9pin on the G27 wheel, and the female receptacle on the underneath of the wheel.
    I can plug the ECCI pedal 9pin into that connection, but its not recognized in either DIview or windows controller.

Thanks again for your help.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

11. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Wait a minute, the other end is hardwired to the pots? Mine is a RJ-45 plug. See attached pic. Do you know if yours is supposed to work with a Logitech wheel? Now I'm not sure if your ecci was modified to work with some other wheel? The adapter from Bodnar only works with the ECCI that was originally connected to a Logitech. Of course yours can be rewired if it doesn't work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  12. wsimonds04

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Michael.
    I dont know the make of the wheel it was used with, but it definitely wasn't a logitech (I only know it wasn't cheap). I'll see if I can find out.
    I'll also ask if he modified it, though I dont think he did.

13. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    ECCI gears were absolutely top of the line. I remember paying my ECCI pedals back in the early 2000 for US$500. That was 20 years ago when minimum wage was $6/hours!

14. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Today I learned there was a top-end wheel... without force feedback.

I'm pretty confused. Could someone do a small history lesson for me, on why something like this was not only considered okay, but good enough to be a top-end equipment? Pedals, yeah, I understand that and they look pretty fine (although I'm not an expert), but the wheel?