Meanwhile in Zuffenhausen...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Christian G, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Because I had to go to Stuttgart I took the opportunity to visit the Porsche museum again. (If you haven't been and get the chance, I can highly recommend it. Atm there's a special exihibition about the Transaxle era.)

I was a little disappointed that my favourite Porsche wasn't on display this time. But what I always liked most is their historic workshop where you can watch them repair and rebuild classic cars and I was delighted to be able to see this beauty being worked on by what must be the happiest mechanic in the whole wide world.
    Went outside after finishing my tour to have a smoke when suddenly the luckiest mechanic took the 718 for a little test ride through the city. The only thing I could grab a hold of quick enough was my phone so the quality ain't great, but the noise was so amazing and I could actually feel the engine rumbling.

Happy days. ;)

Btw: Still hoping for the '71 917/20 a.k.a. "Das fette Schwein" (The Fat Pig) to find its way into RR.
    20161005_130326.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  2. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    For a while I've wanted to do a tour if that area and do the Porsche and Mercedes ones, thanks for the reminder!

• Like Like x 1
  3. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Have been there in september as well with my son. It's worth a journey indeed.
    Very funny how interests differ between generations.
    My focus was on the historic racecars, when my son wanted to see the current road cars like 918.
    We als could have a glimpse on a 919 hybrid in the workshop. We were hoping to see one in exhibition.:oops:
    I also tried one lap on the console Porsche simulator at Spa with a GT3. Time was far below 2 minutes:confused:, 4th place at that point, lol.
    Glad coming home and fighting the Ruf at more realistic 2:2x in r3e.:)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I urge you to. Porsche and Mercedes even have a sweet deal for their museums, if you visit one and show the ticket at the other, you get a 25 % discount on the tickets for the second.
    Yeah, had a go in the simulator as well, and was disappointed, felt very sluggish. (Admittedly it's set up arcade-ish so everyone can manage to finish a lap.)
    Sorry to say this but a 919 was on display now. Very interesting to see how tiny the interior actually is, I could never ever fit into that thing. Some shots:
    20161005_130647.jpg 20161005_130714.jpg 20161005_130726.jpg 20161005_130742.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, those modern prototypes are tiny; whenever I see one static I think it's a scaled down model.

Was the simulator the AC-based Porsche one with the Carrera S?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering about that too...Not really sure who developed the software, it didn't mention anything bout the dev. Maybe @fischhaltefolie knows.

7. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Never AC!
    Graphics, physics and driving-aids don't belong to AC. Feeling was very arcadish.
    If Kunos tried to do it that way, ... omg!
    I think that's the reason, they were looking for a different possibility to present their cars.

• Agree Agree x 1