Moving away from the adaptive AI for a while

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GregoryLeo, Jun 29, 2016.

1. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    For the last year or so I have played R3e exclusively, and been using only the adaptive AI. Then I little while ago some friends who are into AC. Asked me to join them in some online racing. So to practice for that. I would go into AC single player mode and do races with the AI. And after a while I came to realize that I could dial the AI in pretty quickly and have some good races.
    During this time I realized that the adaptive AI are great for short races, starting from the middle. And with a lot of work you can even get a 1/2hr race with them, if you start at the back of the pack. But they always seem just a bit slower than me. Even if I spend 2 or 3 short races with only 1 other car on track to dial them in. So in a one hour race I find them quite inadequate. Even with the pit stop I finish the race 2 to 5 seconds or more ahead of them. I'm sure that part of it is that I'm making a lot fewer mistakes. And even when I do, that are rarely serious.
    And so I've started using the set strength for single races. Because I can spend 10 minutes practicing. Figure out my lap times. Then set the AI a bit faster and have better more challenging races. I don't win very often like this. But I have a much more immursive experience, battling for positions in an hour long race.
    Now I still prefer the adaptive AI for the championship series. But I've kinda moved away from that as well because I spend all my time dialing in one car. And usually get bored after the fifth race or so. In single races am playing with more of my content. And loving the variety. This is still IMO the best sim on the market with the best AI. And am glad for the ability to change things up to keep it fun. Maybe I'll try the adaptive AI again in a few months, see if they are any faster.