Resolved MP Dedicated on a vServer

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by k.C goran, Jun 22, 2017.

1. k.C goran

k.C goran Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

3 Days ago,on the 19th of Juni 2017,i leased and Set up an vServer with Windows 10 at Hetzner.de to run MP Dedicated Server's on it.Because i am a Member of the Balkan Raceroom League,we wanted to run our own Server's at a Server Provider and not at home by private People on a local PC System anymore.We were discussing months ago how we can manage that out.A Root Server is simply too expensive and the mighty resources ain't fitting for our usage.So the idea of renting a vServer came around.A vServer (v = virtual) is much cheaper and from the Tech Side you can choose between different Hardware Setup's,so that it fit's for the recommendation from @Sector3.[[[WIN 7 Dual Core 2GB RAM]]]A Member of us was contacting a Developer from Sector3 to check if a vServer could do the job for us.Answer was "might NOT work".
    So we took the risk and leased a vServer for 30 days.

We took this one-> https://www.hetzner.de/de/hosting/produkte_vserver/cx30 (you can switch in other Languages on the Site)

Because the MP Dedicated Server from @Sector3 ain't ported for a Linux/Unix System you will need to have Windows running on the vServer.It was not clear HOWTO Setup everything nor if there is a possibility to run a Windows Desktop on such a Server.
    I found this in the WIKI of Hetzner.de.

https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/VServer_Windows/en

The cheapest Solution was a Windows 10 Professional at this point.I had luck and bought an official License for 4.99€.Well,the installation of Windows wasn't that easy,mostly because of the Input lag during the Windows Setup.(Keyboard and Mouse)
    So,everything runs fine till now.We have 3 MP Server's running,load of CPU and Ram are smooth,but we didn't reached the max possible Driver's to be sure that the System resources can handle it.
    I'll keep reporting about that.

Here a Screenshot from the MP Lobby.Green highlighted are the Balkan Raceroom League Server's.
    [​IMG]

Here a early Screenshot from the vServer Windows Desktop.
    [​IMG]

Now it looks like this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think,if everything runs stable,it is a really good Solution for a small Group of Driver's to have their own MP Server's hosted.Pricing is ok and you can even run a League with this Server.Hopefully @Sector3 will code the MP Dedi's for Linux/Unix,then it will be much easier to have Server's running.

So if anybody out there is thinking about own MP Server's,this MIGHT work for you.
    (BTW this is no commercial for any Company,make your own choice)

Have Phun and gl k.C

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  2. k.C goran

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    The vServer runs now over 3 Months and I really can say that everything works fine.No crashes,no disconnects even with Full Grid of 34 Driver's.If I remember correctly,We didn't even reboot the Server over 6 Weeks o_O:).Ping of other Driver's was good and stable,depending from where the People was connected.We also got a small Championship running on it,League vs League,4 Race's and everything went good.Only thing you have to do is keep all important Software Up to Date.The vServer was really a good choice,and We are going to stick with it.
    k:C

• Like Like x 1
  3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    that sounds pretty good... Would be interessting to know now, were the Grid-Limit would be. 34 is already a very good number.

4. k.C goran

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know,it depends on the Grid of each Track,but I am not 100% sure.An Admin of us was more into that Player/Grid organisation.I always wondered because of the Limitation,as I remember seeing Youtube Vids with over 50 Driver's.(Maybe was against AI).I'll take a look later on the Server.

5. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    More are definitely possible, but as you said it depends on the track. Some tracks doesn't have so many pit-slots and others (as you've seen that Monza-Server) allow more. But than it very much depend on the server.
    I remember a MP-Dedicated-Server-Test where the limit was tried to find. I guess it was somewhere in the same range as your Server is set ATM. When there were more players connected, it startet to lag and players started to blink.

6. k.C goran

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Yes,that's correct.The difference is per Track/Slots.The Server that was set ATM is just for testing and as you said,in the end it makes no sense because of the lack of performance from the driver side.

BTW @m.bohlken Since We are friends,I always had Great Race's with you,close fights and absolutely fair,like the one today at Monza :)

keep racing
    Best Regards k.C

7. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    thank you, too :) always great to fight with you on track - really remarkable races. Especially that one in Monza was very intense today - need to push alot to stay close to your rear...