Multiplayer Server Disconnections

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C3LT, Jul 6, 2021.

1. C3LT

C3LT New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I've been organising a racing tournament over the past year and Raceroom has been pretty stable. We've got 10-15 drivers racing weekly with two spectators, organised via JustRace.

In our current tournament we've had a lot of instability. One issue we've had a couple of times now is that the server crashes when starting race 2. See the stream of the crash here.

Issue manifests as follows:
    • One or more players and and one of the spectators gets disconnected at the end of race 1
    • They attempt to reconnect
    • Warmup 2 starts as normal
    • At the end of warmup, the server gets stuck with the message 'awaiting players reconnecting to reload'
    • Race 2 begins
    • Cars go to the grid
    • Cars disappear
    • Server crashes
    My spidey sense is telling me that the game has got spectators and players mixed up and is trying to grid a spectator. The guys at JustRace have tried to contact their dev contacts with the server crash log but they've not heard anything.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas for solutions?

I'm thinking about switching to a different game at the moment, which is a shame as I really like Raceroom!

2. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Hello @C3LT -

I've been in touch with Just Race dev about your issue.
    It seems it could be related to importing the grid from leaderboards - It might be an idea to try without that next time and see how that pans out.

Your spidey sense may very well be accurate that we're trying to find a grid spot for the user ID from the spectator, then at race 2 we try and sort the grid again and it suddenly fails.

I'm waiting to get the server settings to get a repro here, but in the meantime I would suggest to attempt to steer clear of the potential issue with leaderboard importing.

3. C3LT

C3LT New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

Thanks very much for your reply! I really appreciate you looking into it.

We had our last race of the season a few days ago and it was a single long race so we didn't have the issue again. I set the qualifying to be a normal 10 minute session instead of using the leaderboard.

We did have a different (and very strange) issue. See here. For some reason the order of the cars got messed up on the rolling start and then it inserted a 4-5 second gap between the first and second cars and the rest of the grid. This was the only time we had this happen in the championship but it really messed up the last race for us :(

4. C3LT

C3LT New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I saw the update today - should that fix the issues we were having with the server crashing?