Problem My friend disconnects when i'm near him - Help please!

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Flavourlicious, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Ok so a friend of mine and I found out that we just can't play together. We have joined multiple dedicated servers and we both can join and play fine. But when I am in a server and my friend joins, the moment I come into his screen he disconnects. So when I am in my pitbox and my friend drives on straight finish he disconnects. If I overtake him he disconnects.

It's weird because we both have 0 lag. Ever other driver looks smooth and we don't even see each other lagging. It's just that when I am near him he disconnects. Should we changes something up? Forward any ports?

2. Flavourlicious

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    OK so we found a quick solution to the problem. At first we tried to disable as many 'links' we had too each other. So we were in a Skype call and disconnected that. We unfriended on Steam. We closed steam chat. We did stuff like that to eliminate as many links that might affect our connection ingame.

None of those things seemed to mather so we moved on. Then just now we decided to create a stronger link between our pc's trough Hamachi (Hamachi is a tool which directly connects multiple pc's to each other so you can do online stuff easier (minecraft)). Then we had to fight trough some Error 502's and 13's. :p

Then when we met again in a server it worked! Hamachi connecting our pc's enabled us to play Raceroom online together on other people's servers (so we weren't hosting).

I don't know what caused the problem in the first place and I don't know why a tool like Hamachi fixes it but we were so happy that we could see each other without disconnects the first thing we did is crash into each other in the middle of 15 other guys racing DTM's to see if it was real. We quickly moved on to do some serious laps tho, don't wanna earn the Aline Senna badge. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  3. Sonat Ozturk

Sonat Ozturk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,012 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    This is quite interesting. Were you both located under the same network?

When players are close to each other the game switches to p2p (peer to peer) connection. You see the ping to the player directly rather than the ping to the server you see otherwise. If you can provide more info about how you and your friend's network were set up and whether the machines are on the same network it would help us a lot.

4. Flavourlicious

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply! A switch to p2p is very interesting but smart when you think about it!

Anyways, our pc's are not setup on the same network. We live about 45 kilometers apart so that couldn't be it. We have been racing on consoles together for about three years (Forza 4/5). Apart from the connection issues those games provided (weird lag for the whole lobby) we never encountered anything quite like I described in my first post there. So that tells us that our networks can work together just fine on there.

As I described we both can join and race with others absolutely fine (people from all over the world move around very smooth which shows how good the netcode really is). I myself have also raced on a couple of other PC sims, although never together with him, without weird disconnects like these. It might be an idea to try another PC game together to look if we experience the same there. If so then it's really a connection issue between us but if we don't have these problems elsewhere it would move more to a combination with Raceroom and something it doesn't like about our connections.

Also, I don't know how Hamachi works and what it does and why it helps us play together. Maybe if we can find out what that tool actually does we can maybe find out how it affects our connection within Raceroom. Maybe it's just as simple as opening a certain port. One other interesting thing is that it's always my friend who disconnects. So when he drives past me, he disconnects and when he is in his pitbox and I drive by, he disconnects. When he joins while I am in my pitbox, and he spawns there too ofcourse, he can't even come into the server.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  5. Flavourlicious

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Ok so here's a fun update: Yesterday we invited two other friends to come along and play some Raceroom. So it was me (Ruben), Jeffrey (who is the one who disconnects), Levi (was playing for pretty much the first time) and Remco.

I hosted a server with 92' DTM's on Norisring and Remco and I drove around, no problemo. Then Jeffrey joined and we were still driving around with no problems. Jeffrey and I where still using Hamachi in order to play together, but Remco wasn't on Hamachi. That means that it isn't because you are steam friends or on teamspeak or skype or whatever because Jeffrey and Remco where playing just fine.

After that I hosted a Silhouette server because Levi only had the free content. Jeffrey, Remco and I joined and everything was fine. Jeffrey and I where still in Hamachi, Remco was not, all good. Then Levi joined and as soon as he came close to Jeffrey, Jeffrey disconnected. We added him to our Hamachi thing and it worked right again.

From what we've seen we learn two things:
    1: When we don't us Hamachi and we get close to each other it's always Jeffrey who gets disconnected.
    2: Jeffrey gets disconnected when someone (who is within 10 meters from him ingame) lives within 50 km from him in real life. Jeffrey and Levi live in the same town I believe and I'm about 40-45 km out. Remco lives further away.

So why is it so that Jeffrey gets disconnected when Levi or I am near him but not when Remco is near him? Does the distance from our PC's have something to do with it? Do we have a wrong port? If there is anything you guys need (pics from router settings or whatever) please ask. :)

6. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I have to say in all my years of working in tech support this is one that makes me scratch my head. I'm curious to see the answer. I had a friend back when I had XBOX Live that we couldn't play with each other due to NAT settings. Once we resolved that, we could, but we couldn't even join the same rooms, he showed offline to me, and I showed offline to him.

7. Flavourlicious

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Update time!

When I create a dedicated server I know I have to open up ports (edit >>) 60000, 60001 and 60002. They are open now still but before I started messing with servers those ports where not open. I was able to play the multiplayer before and after the update just fine. Jeffrey also never opened those ports (and he just started playing after last weeks update). We had a solution with Hamachi but when the same happened (the disconnecting thing) when another friend joined we realized that it was just a workaround and not something we could use as a fix forever. I mean you can't just add every gamer to Hamachi so eventually you'd need a better solution.

So as a final attempt at playing without Hamachi, Jeffrey opened some ports (all of them actually) just too see if it would work. It did so he shut all the ports again. Then Jeffrey asked on facebook (quick answer!) what ports he should open (not all of them) and it turns out that if you are playing (and not hosting) you also should open up ports 60000, 60001 and 60002 for a better experience! I can't remember the exact answer (I think it was Jay who answered cause the guy spoke Dutch) but every port does something else.

So yeah that solves it for us. Didn't know that those ports also work when you're just playing and not hosting but we know now. Let WTCC14 come! :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  8. Sonat Ozturk

Sonat Ozturk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,012 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

It's odd that your problem was resolved by clients opening the ports. That should make no difference.

You mentioned that you opened ports 60001, 60002, 60003 which is wrong. It should be as the following. Please also pay attention to the protocol (UDP and TCP). You will see the ports assigned to the dedi on top part in the dedicated front end.

- Dedicated app uses an offset +2 system to assign the ports upon starting a server. This work as explained below.

Upon launching the first server the following ports will be assigned.

UDP: 60000 (Used for server connection)

TCP: 60001 (Used for game traffic, content data)

UDP: 60002 (Used for ping and time synchronization)

When launching the second server, the following ports will be assigned.

UDP: 60003 (Used for server connection)

TCP: 60004 (Used for game traffic, content data)

UDP: 60005 (Used for ping and time synchronization)

And so on. This can help hosts that are planning on hosting multiple servers open/forward ports beforehand.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it's just a typo, but the ports should be 60000, 60001 and 60002. ;)

Edit: Ninja'd by Sonat.:oops:

10. Flavourlicious

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Aah yeah my fault! I actually did open up 60000, 60001 and 60002 (with 60001 being TCP) indeed and so did Jeffrey. I just remembered it wrong when typing this post :p

But yeah that's what we where thinking too Sonat. How can opening ports help a client stay in a game? And why would one client disconnect when he is near another client on a server hosted by a random host? So for example we are playing on a server from germany, we are both from the Netherlands and Jeffrey seems to only be able to play with me when he opens those ports.

So in short. When Jeffrey's and my game switch to p2p, the game wants to connect us but gets blocked when Jeffrey's ports are not open and as a result disconnects him from the server.