My thoughts on a (not very happy) milestone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adam Jonas, May 9, 2016.

1. w4nn13

w4nn13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Well I am using a i5 2500k from years ago with 8GB Ram and a 750Ti 2GB, the game is in best shape its ever been, I have no problems what so ever, yeah we all have our compliments and we post some here for developers to see, their is two things that make a game for me and one is the game play and the other is the community, which this game has and the reason I play it above all other racing sims, but most important the developers do listen and implement what the community wants with in reason and time constants, best thing you can do is support your game and its developer and help them work towards the game you want!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Adam Jonas

Adam Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Buddy, what the heck are you talking about? 7 year old system? What year do you write today? 2019?

The AMD A10-5800K released in October, 2012. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A10-Series A10-5800K.html

3. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    I see you don't get my point. My problem is, the game uses some kind of technology which mainly fits for Intel CPUs, as I see. We talked about earlier that this game is CPU heavy. Ok, I agree and accept that fact. But, all of you who attacks me, usually have 2nd/3rd gen Intel CPUs. The 2nd gen Intel CPU is 1 year older than my AMD (ok, right: 2nd Intel CPUs are much more faster than my AMD).

So, back to topic: I don't complain about the older engine, because if it would perform great, I didn't write down all this stuff. But, as you can see, something is clearly not okay, because I don't have any problem with other games, only with this. The old engine runs on my system like my PC would be 2 or 3 years older than the engine - and that's my problem.

In 2013, when I first tried out the game, I didn't complain about that fact it doesn't run smoothly - in that time, as I wrote, I had a Phenom II and HD 5850, which were both old.

Do you understand now what's my point?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree what happened to the rating system?

As far as the rest, I can't agree. The physics feel awesome, and the game runs perfect for me. I have had some serious issues I have had to sort out, but when it's sorted the game is great. I have 2 systems. My old system built in 2009 plays this just fine @40 to 70 fps, and my new one just kills it.
    Old specs and still being used.
    QX9650 4 core 12mb l2 cache, set on a Gigabyte EP45T-UD3P, 16GB Kingston 1600 DDR3, HD7950 GPU, Intel SSD 480GB 330 series
    New System: E-5-2650 10 core 25mb L3 cache, Gigabyte X99-SLI, 16GB G Skill DDR4 2100, R9 380X, Intel SSD 480GB DC3500

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  5. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Hello @Adam Jonas
    I run fairly similar hardware to you and did in the past too, when I started R3E it was using an AMD Athlon II X4 630 CPU, ATi Radeon HD4670 1GB (GDDR3 :eek:), and 4GB DDR2 RAM, I was able to play the game at playable FPS on low graphic settings, a forced change when my motherboard died saw an upgrade to 8GB DDR3 RAM and then later I was given a XFX Radeon HD5970 which is essentially 2 HD5850s built on to 1 card, however, because R3E doesn't support multi-GPUs, it only ever used 1 processor, the game ran fine for the most part on medium/high settings.
    Moving to this year I was able to find a cheap upgrade, £90 for a Phenom II X6 1090T and ASUS R9 270, plus another £46 for another 8GB of RAM, there have been problems, I won't lie and I do have an extra 2(lol) cores.
    Game performance sometimes had issues with background stutter despite good frame rates, to get around this initially, I had to make some changes in the BIOS (not recommended if you don't know what you're doing), essentially, I disabled cores 1,3 and 5 (Core numbers are structured 0,1,2,3,4,5 in my case), this got rid of the background stutter for me but, that may not be your issue.
    Have you over-clocked your CPU by any chance? Since I made the changes to my system, I have removed the manual disable of the cores and enabled AMDs turbo mode which essentially does the job for me automatically when single thread processing gets high, no problems since.
    Single thread processing is where AMD CPUs fall down, this is mostly due to the way it's designed, it's not a true quad, hex or Octo core processor, 2 cores placed in 1 module, makes for a very nice bottleneck in single thread applications (I swear to god, I'm trying to keep it simple).

As for R3Es physics... the changes made in car setup, so locked diffs, restricted gearing and DSP was introduced to reflect real world application.
    The diff lock shouldn't really be that big of a deal anyway so you should be able to adapt and drive around it with practice.

A lot of work has gone into the general car physics too, I know @Karsten Borchers and @Marko Hartikainen have worked hard to bring more advancements, most recently in suspension and tires and for me that's reflected in what for me and many others, are the best physics we've seen so far in R3E.

Maybe you could tell us exactly what problems your seeing performance wise, I highly doubt it'll be on the graphic side if your now running a GTX 960 and you have more than enough RAM.
    What size grids are you trying to run?
    Have you tried turning "opponents cockpit" off?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Hey @Ronin_GTDave , thanks for your post! :)

I've never overclocked my CPU.

Last time, when I had problem, it was online on Nordschleife, with 24 cars...I had a not so decent 24 FPS with medium setting, AA/FXAA off. And yeah, I turned off the opponent's cockpit setting as well.

Interesting part: yesterday I tried Spa in the competition, with one car, on the way to Eau Rouge, I had a solid 60 FPS with medium settings...only 60. Other part of the track I had 80-100. But usually, this FPS value drops down very easily when I have some opponents on the track (10+).

7. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    about CPU usage, many games don't scale easily with more cores. It's a motivation factor of dx12/vulkan design as well, to allow that for rendering apis.
    So despite multi-core, the single-thread performance still matters for a lot of games and applications.
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

As for the game getting "slower" over the time, that's unfortunate but we also saw upgrades to physics, AI... probably not all of this is free. Imo it's fair for titles that are basically "infinitely" in development to go with time a bit. Ideally an incremental change and not a sharp drop-off.

Hopefully your situation is more of a unfortunate bug/coincidence.
    I agree however with the others that it seems the sum of things ticked you off and it's not just one topic alone, as what you wrote in the first post seemed a bit hard to follow what exactly the issue is and you keep jumping topics. Which to me sounds more like it's a feeling you are "saturated" and want new "boosts" for the game to get excited again.

Hw problems can always be bugs, so helping developers help you is always good. Now granted if you did that and it doesn't get solved and ticks you off, fair enough.
    As for progress on the game (rating system...) again I don't know how much you tried playing with some club racing folks, that typically improves multiplayer. It's not like a builtin system, but a workaround. Same goes for better chat...
    Comparing simbin titles, with r3e is not "fair" as the amount of people and type of developers (content, code...) was vastly different. And let's not ignore they went bankrupt... R3E clearly suffers from slow progress when it comes to code, but that's a reality hardly changing all of a sudden.

For me the important aspect is that the developer is "stable" in terms of not going bankrupt again ;) through whatever other duties they have. The overall direction is positive, and the game took great jumps compared to the early days.

The rest is essentially patience. If it involves taking a break from the game, that's totally cool and normal I would think. I am not sure one needs to add the drama and bring personal heat to oneself by announcing such a leave on the community boards ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the section of the track running from the Bus Stop (final chicane) through La Source (T1) up to Eau Rouge is particularly GPU heavy, most people see a drop in FPS there, it's down to the pit area and detail that goes into it not to mention surrounding track details and shadows etc, I'd be pretty happy with a solid 60fps around there to be honest, most of the time I'm down 40 or less.

24fps @ Nords is a little alarming though, that's generally considered one of the better, if not the most well optimized circuit within R3E.
    Is there any chance you had any background processes running? Game capture/streaming software or a windows update maybe?

9. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    None of it runs in the background. The interesting part is 2 weeks ago I was curious enough to check the CPU load, and it was running only at 60-70%.

10. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Well, because of R3E, I bought a new GFX card last summer, because first time I thought it will be a GPU issue. But since I changed from GTX 660 to 960, the situation was a little bit better, but not so much.

I wanted to target this post for the developers, because I think right now they standing in the same place since last autumn. I know that money is coming from the different DLCs, but IMO right now it's more important to improve the whole base of the game than releasing ADAC GT Masters 2016, FR Jr and so on. Maybe you won't agree with me in this topic, but that's my opinion.

But as I see, I stepped in the middle of hearts for some people with this post, I'm sorry.

11. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    The thing is that it's not the middle of hearts, it's more that the topic comes up every so often. And the answers are the same. They don't have as much core technology programmers, have a hard time hiring in that direction, they have other duties and priorities by the publisher. It's not all bad and being total powerless, but it's just not like other developer teams can operate.

That's why some people say, hey we know it isn't all great and we share some of the furstration, but we also know it's not someone's "fault", it's just a situation we all have to deal with, it doesn't kill it for us, as the path has been steadily well so far.
    It maybe take another 1-2 years until we get safety car and whatnot, who knows. My life expectancy is high enough to not bother about that ;) Just jump between games, chances are there is always something that is a tad annoying in all of them, then jump to next, or come back to an old one. Luckily most of them are not crazy expensive.

12. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I mistook your old specs from the op for your current ones, hence me calling your system ancient.
    Your problems might indeed be related to your AMD cpu though. As much as I love AMD, their cpus have not been competitive for a very long time now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ClayytonBR

ClayytonBR New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Then I´m running a totally different game. The AI in "my" R3E is totally sluggish, fails to catch me on straights, even at 120. They corner terribly, are always skidding like they´re using wet tires. I don´t understand how can someone say this game is improving if the best part of any sim that is the challenge is fading update after update. Don´t get me wrong, but I wasn´t meant to be an a** kisser. The game may seem better visually, but way worse when talking about challenge.

14. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I'm not an a**kisser either, just stating my personal experiences with the game. Yes, there are differences between classes and even tracks, what certainly should not be. E.g. AI is too stupid to take the chicane at Salzburg resulting in a pile up. Same for Moscow. But on other tracks like Hockenheim, Norisring or Spa I had very enjoyable races against AI. As I said there is room for improvement, but compared to AC and pCars, this AI is clearly the best of these three games/sims. Nothing more, nothing less.

No offense intended, but could it be that your adaptive AI is still on a very basic level?

• Like Like x 1
  15. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I'm an A**kisser, this game is perfectly perfect in every way! :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. mrSweSin

mrSweSin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    my liking's and disliking s are First reduced setup why? Dont see any different in hows in the top anyway. i believe it wold be moor aprobriet to have a real car and test some off the extreem setup many uses and see if it is possible or what rely happens to the car and how it damage tires springs and mekaniks. if some one win a competition take that persons setup and investigate the probability that that setup is a bug or if it works irl. Because it says get real isent it so

17. mrSweSin

mrSweSin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    i try my set up in Accetto corsa and in project cars and in rF2. it is not working at all to have similar setup. maby its me that missing some info about how its diled in or if they all uses different fysiks and why its looked some off the settings in r3e, then in AC there its no problem to chengs setings but its not possible to have tex toe in front at -1.0 and back -1.0. in ac you can do only whats works irl. they dont have the scale in the renges that it wold not be realistic or if that makes tires to take to much beating.

18. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    @mrSweSin as was already mentioned the setup locks reflect the real world racing series. Some cars are locked due to real-world balance of power.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    My best guess is, that they use different scales - most obvious example are the damper settings, where pCars uses Newtonmeters, while R3E uses clicks. Physics are different as well and of course every game claims to have the best one.

• Like Like x 1
  20. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I'd guess the physics between sims are all different, different developer teams coding everything in a different way... definitely wouldn't suggest comparing setups across multiple sims, far too many variables.

• Agree Agree x 4