New FX physics.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrazyMasterBlaster, Sep 20, 2021.

1. CrazyMasterBlaster

CrazyMasterBlaster New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is it just me or am I missing something here. The car feels horrible. It's got tons of front end grip even on front wing setting 1. The gear ratios are odd. You have to take low speed turns in a higher gear or adjust the low gears really high or the rear axle locks the wheels. Diff settings don't stop the locking on the rear. Need a ridiculous amount of rear wing. Low top speeds. I'm not happy with any of the physics updates on all the formula cars to be honest. I only use this sim for formula cars but now I feel very dissatisfied with what's happened to the physics and car settings.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I have never thought that RRE single seaters were that good, they always seemed very arcadey with super direct steering and everyhing just goes so damn fast but it´s always been like that with old physics too. The F3 is maybe the best one from the bunch.

Maybe try AMS2 and compare with what they offer as they have a lot of older F1 cars with less downforce and mech grip.

If you want less front grip then try increasing the rake (more difference betwee front and rear ride height)

3. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Are you still using an old setup?

4. CrazyMasterBlaster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No I deleted all of them and started again from default

5. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Well then I can't help apart from this:

It'd be nice if you were more specific about which car you're referring to, but anyway. Yes, compared to a GT car or a Touring car single seaters' front ends are way more responsive. Reasons for this are much less weight and therefore a lower moment of inertia. They typically run a quicker steering ratio too, due to packaging reasons as there's simply not enough room for a long steering rack.

Define high gear. From both my real world experience and what I've seen of sim racers, there is a tendency to want to use all of the gears all of the time. Let the engine do the work, and if the car is unsettled by changing down, you can deduce that maybe you didn't need to change down. Just because there's a hairpin it doesn't mean you have to use first gear for it. The gear ratios of our single seaters are all based on manufacturer specs. Compare the gear/revs/speeds of some real world onboard videos and you'll see that.

No amount of differential preload will stop the rear wheels from locking together if you're doing something to cause it.

Sounds like you were very accustomed to the older versions of our single seaters. Give yourself more time to adjust.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I did notice the rather snappy front-end of the FR X-17, but to me that's much preferable to the unrealistic high-frequency pitching motion that it used to have before.

I must say that if you are now required to run higher values of the rear wing, that sounds great. In too many "simulators", the rear wing of aero cars is just a hindrance that gets set to 1 or 2 almost everywhere (not just Monza) with no practical ill effects.If the rear wing is actually providing a meaningful contribution to the aerodynamic stability, then the new physics sound promising to me.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CrazyMasterBlaster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes I was very accustomed to the old physics. I'm referring mainly to the F1 car. No I don't have the need for 1st gear apart from the start. It can't be right that I have to take turn 1 at Spa in fourth gear to avoid axle lock and 3rd gear in last chicane at Spa. Something is not right with the diff in my opinion. You can see the default gears for 2, 3 and four are pretty high already. Feels like front downforce needs reducing so rear wing can be adjusted more.
    The other post refers to AMS2 but no thanks they are crap.

8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Each to their own then but maybe you could post the setup you are using and the track for the F1. There were some decent setups for the old physics one floating around on discord and basically the diff was almost completely open on acceleration and coast and engine braking also minimum. No idea if that is still valid for the new physics but as I had posted in another thread, the main difference is the new version has no traction control and that makes a huge difference on hairpins and slow corner exit.

9. CrazyMasterBlaster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

10. CrazyMasterBlaster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's not because I can't drive the car and work around it. I've actually gone faster than my pb time at the Nordschleife 4:57.6 About a second faster than the old physics that was number one for 8 months. The car is obviously easier to drive as already there are a few times under 5 mins on the Nordschleife. I'm not enjoying the feeling I'm getting at this stage.

11. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    You must try the F3 and F4 to really appreciate the feel of the new physics... an absolute must. Now, every time I get into an older car that didn't the physics update, I feel it right away.

12. CrazyMasterBlaster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just a quick update:
    Im working around the rear end problems. Slow speed grip and wheel locks mainly but anyway today I drive the Norschliefe in 4:53.3. Thats 5 seconds faster than my PB on old physics. The last 90 seconds of the lap feels like a time trial arcade. Please Mr Hodgkinson look into this. Dont need need for speed physics in this game.
    Lap Video

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  13. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what you're talking about, honestly.

The last 90 seconds being a straight and a chicane, that doesn't give much chance for anything at all to happen.
    Can you elaborate?

14. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    What car are you using? You are too vague with your feedback... Tyre Temps? Car setup? Your opinion is based on what real life experience?

15. CrazyMasterBlaster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The last 3rd of the lap is like driving on rails almost. The carousels i should be getting airbourne LOL. The curbs dont seem to make the car unstable either. Watch the lap.
    It was a messy lap too.

16. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Downforce would disagree with you.

You came off the Karussell at 127kph. At that speed the car is generating approximately 300kg of downforce which is almost half of it's actual weight (620kg). There's around 920kg keeping that thing on the ground, even in one of the slowest corners.

Is that a complaint, really?
    You can thank the 1000s of hours spent building up the knowledge of how to set up suspension so our cars don't try to kill you at first site of a bump. To illustrate the point I tried to find a video of Lando Norris absolutely launching the Mclaren over the sausage curbs at Spa this year but can't find a clip. Suffice to say it was happening every lap though.

17. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0

Not really Lando Norris, not McLaren, not Spa, not F1 and not even this year, but still an orange formula car hitting a curb with interesting consequences :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  18. CrazyMasterBlaster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Anyway I think my point here is despite issues with the rear of the car I find the car less challenging. I think if you compare the Nordschleife times from the pre- update there were only 3 cars under 5 mins in about 1 year. Now there is half s dozen or more under 5 mins in two weeks. Once the car is up too speed it's far more easy. Yeah there is loads of downforce and cars get quicker over the years. I reckon you fixed something that was not broken though. I reckon the laptimes will go under 4:50 on the Nordschleife with this car. That's pretty extreme.

19. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Are you equating difficult with realistic?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    5:00 vs 4:50 is only 3,5% difference in pace. Considering the car was remade from scratch, I think it's neither extreme, nor unexpected, nor a sign of something going wrong.