New Player Content Purchase Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RoadRunner, Jun 21, 2015.

1. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone!

I downloaded R3E last night and I will have my first game time after work today. My main interest is multiplayer racing.

What are your suggestions for initial content purchases for multiplayer? Which cars/series/tracks are the most popular? I am interested in the content that is popular so that it will be easy to join races.

The second question is which cars/series are good for beginners to learn (easy to drive/handle), and get comfortable with the game?

I have been an active member of iRacing for several months, and I think R3E looks like it could be very suited to me, so I am going to try it out. I use a Fanatec GT3 Porsche wheel and Fanatec pedals, with a single monitor.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

2. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Test Drive em all RoadRunner see what you like at game.raceroom.com. As for what's most popular and easy to drive, here ya go. Keep in mind as well that through tomorrow, I think the following packs are 1/2 off when purchased as part of the Steam Sale. With each of these packs (short of DTM 92) you'll get tracks as well.
    DTM 2013, DTM 2014, DTM 92 ADAC 2014.

DTM cars are super easy to drive and hard to stop driving (very addictive).
    WTCC cars are easy to drive and a hell of a lot of fun to race
    DTM92 are easy to drive and seem to be popular

I'd have to say that I came to R3E for the DTM but my favorite cars are the WTCC cars. They just have so much zip and they feel really good to drive. Keep in mind if you on'y want to race online, you only need to buy tracks and one car from each of the series to participate. You can do this for each of the series short of DTM14 (it has to be purchased as a pack). If you have other questions, post em in this thread or feel free to PM me. I had all these same questions at one point and the fine folks here helped me out and answered any questions I had. Hope this info helps.

• Like Like x 3
  3. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I'd advise getting a cheap 'experience' pack which includes cars and tracks. Of the adac 2014 and DTM 2014 packs are still on sale on steam, get one of them, or get DTM 2013 if the steam sale's finished.

Then get a single car from some of the other series you like (DTM 92 is popular, so is wtcc 2014).

That should be enough to get going, then maybe add some tracks.

Look out for special offers and remember that you get discounts on packs if you already own some of the content

Oh, and I came over from iracing too, r3e is a lot more exciting :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave. R3E has so many cool cars, I feel like a kid in a candy store. I admit that I like the vintage retro racers like the DTM 92 cars. :)

Is the Steam sale price cheaper than the R3E store using VRP's?

• Like Like x 1
  5. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Hurry and pick up DTM 2013 on the steam sale!! Only €7.99!!
    With that you also get 9 tracks.

ADAC GTME 2014 and DTM 2014 and 92 is aslo good value on the steam sale!

If you want to make good deals in the R3E store, bulk vRP's here: http://www.raceroomstore.com/shop_en/vrp

You will also get discounts on the European track pack if you first buy DTM 2013 or 14 / ADAC GTME 2014 from steam sale.

About cars I would say Touring classics, DTM 92 and WTCC 13 or 14 are good beginner cars, WTCC and DTM92 is the easiest to find on servers I think.
    GT3 and ADAC 2013 and 14 is also often played.
    G5 are beasts, but awesome as well!!

And you don't have to buy full packs as said, you can pick one favorite car in each class if you like!

Ps: was also playing iRacing before, stopped subscribing when I found R3E. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks mr belowski. Do you guys think the track pack is an economical purchase?

7. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks heppsan. It's nice to hear from guys who have iRacing experience that they prefer R3E.

8. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    The track packs are good value, but don't forget.
    If you pick up an experience on the steam sale first, you will get the pack price discounted in R3E store for owned content.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I like the way the discounts work. It feels like you just get more for your dollar compared to iRacing.

Oh, and the sound of the cars in R3E (and this is just from watching YouTube videos) is really fantastic. I have JBL LSR 305 studio monitors and I am looking forward to cranking it up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Roadrunner if you buy during the Steam Sale just buy one of DTM13, DTM14, or ADAC14. The reason is that you'll get a better discount on the game.raceroom.com store than via the Steam Sale (it takes into account content you've already purchased for discount purposes). If I were starting out, I'd get the DTM13 and DTM92 cars off Steam and then go forward from that on game.raceroom.com. That way you get a good bunch of tracks and two sets of cars. If you're into GT cars, I'd look into the ADAC13 set on game.raceroom simply because it has the Nissan GTR and the Ford GTR as well (two of my favorites) and they're not in ADAC14.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the good advice. That seems to be the way to go, get some on Steam sale, and then some in the store to get the discounts. Good timing with the Steam sale. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    @heppsan 's advice about picking up the DTM Experience 2013 pack via Steam really is the best starting point you can make. Those 9 tracks are the core of much of the online racing in R3E. It's really the best way to dip your toe in the water and unlock linked discounts.

Then pick up a single car from the WTCC14, GTR3 and DTM '92 classes and you're well covered.

By all means splash out on the packs - you won't be disappointed - but make sure you bulk buy vRP beforehand to get further savings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks James. If you guys are as good on track as you are on this thread, I am going to have to change my name from RoadRunner to SlowPoke, lol.

But seriously, thank you very much everyone. I feel like I can really maximize any purchases now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Let us know what you pick up and what you think of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I got the DTM 13 pack on Steam, that is a good deal. Where in the store do I purchase VRP's? I can't seem to find it.

16. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Ok Thanks. This shows prices in Euros, but I am in America. It will change when I make the account?

18. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the UK and it shows Euros for me as well. The cost will be converted when you pay of course.

19. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Oh, ok. That had me wondering.... Thanks James.

20. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It is not accepting my payment. I may just do the rest through the in-game store because it's a little frustrating. It's Father's Day and some guests have arrived. I will let you know how it goes.