New to the game; settings check.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,

Well, I'm not totally new to the game, but it occurs to me I keep coming back to it and so I thought I'd buy the premium package. It also helped it was on sale right now ;)

So I have been simracing for about 20 years now, played a lot of games and the last few years mainly rF2, ACC, PC2, F1 series.
    I have my trusty rig with a Logitech G27 and so; I do know how to race a bit.
    I say this, because reading "new to game" and "its no good" normally tells "you guys" there is a newbie that doesn't have a clue how to drive ;)
    Now I'm not perfect and games differ, but there are some things that stand out to me that are not (so much) present in all other games.
    So, if you don't mind, I want to state them here first:
    - understeer; way, way more than I'm used to in all other games
    - AI; they are pretty good, but they always seem to be able to outbrake you, even if you brake to late
    - same AI; when you are behind them, they brake way to early, making it impossible to avoid them
    - same AI; seem to often get very slow out of the corners
    - bouncy; take the F3 cars.....they bounce pretty weird and unrealistic

So, these things I have; are there settings I should check? Are there "known problems"?
    Can I do something about it?
    Opponent strength is stock, I believe it was 105%.
    Biggest problem is the understeer; wow!

So, any suggestions are more than welcome, thanks in advance!

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    When you say understeer, I assume you mean the ffb?

• Like Like x 1
  3. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    About understeer, default setups tend to be on safe side, especially older cars. Im pretty sure, some overdriving is partially to blame, but feel free to tinker with setup. Softer front antiroll bar and spring is most common tweak in that case. Later look at lower coast differential setting and/or higher values for power and/or preload- depends on stages where you experience problems. Sometimes too high wing may cause understeer, especially in fast corners. If you cant make some tight, slow corner (eg melco hairpin)- increase steering lock.

Gimme some info about combos you used with AI, so i can check it out. Also with AI, it can be a hit or miss- mix of some older cars that need some love, wrong difficulty etc
    Cant recall any bounciness :confused: in f3

I also recommend raceroom discord for some swift conversation

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I'm having difficulty understanding any of the issues you posted to be honest, since I don't experience them myself. But I'll try and help anyway.

Understeer - Warm up the tyres, if they're cold then you have sod all grip. Also, check your setup. R3E defaults are generally quite good to get started, but are "safe" and that always means a tendency to understeer rather than oversteer. Finally, check your own driving style. If you're the last of the late-brakers then understeer could well be down to your technique rather than a car issue.

AI - One of the best in the genre, in my opinion. They will race you, and they won't give in without a fight. They'll even make mistakes. If you're always ramming them in braking zones, see my point about technique above... it'd be a great indication that you're braking way too late. As for being slow sometimes, that is usually a track specific issue because the AI needs to be refined for that particular area. Chicanes often cause slow AI, hairpins if they're in traffic, etc. Remember they're not human... they have limitations, no matter how good they are.

Bouncy F3 - Not idea on that one... not an issue I have when driving them. Perhaps take a look at your head movement settings to reduce the perception of bumps?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply's guys!

Well, my problem is, that my memory is almost dead......I'm not joking.
    So I race, have fun in some car and the next day; I don't know what car gave me that fun.
    Also with this; I couldn't remember what car was the worst.
    But I tried some just now; the P3 Radical SR9 Judd at Mid Ohio. That one has some understeer; wow!
    The Mistral however, is way better.
    The Judd; I did a "quick fix" on the wing; set the rear from 16 to 10 (!) to get it a bit more drivable......that is a lot.

The understeer; I do mean the car itself, not the ffb btw.

The braking issue, is with almost all cars all the time.
    At Mid Ohio, the second back straight, going into the chicane, right after that there is a short straight where you get the throttle down for (lets say) 2 seconds before you have to brake to g right again.
    The car in front of me (practice session) did get his foot down, but only for half a second, making me bump into him; there was no way to anticipate on this early braking.
    However; the car right behind me, flew by and braked beyond the point where I would have been on the brakes......
    Next lap I was behind that car; now HE was the one that was so damn early on the brakes. It was so early; it got me again.

Also; I was running right next to a car that just came out of the pitlane towards the hairpin on that straight.
    I braked way later than I normally do and overshot the corner. He, on the other hand, braked later than me (about 50 to 70 meters I think) and easily made the corner.

Well, I'm not an simracing expert, but I do know how to drive a bit; no other game makes me look this silly.
    I mean; behind another car I look silly because I brake "to late" and in front of another car, I look silly because I brake way to "early".
    I can be stupid, but not both mistakes all of the time.

And the bouncy F3; well, they do bounce in real life of course, but the way and the rate of it........
    I can set head movement low, okay, but it's the springs that make them just go up and down in a weird way; like the springs are extremely light and there are no shock-absorbers.

Thanks again for your reply's; I will go to work with that!