new wheel, what to go for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M4IRC1IE, Jan 6, 2016.

1. M4IRC1IE

M4IRC1IE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Hey there.
    In a few days I want to buy a new wheel. My g27 is great but I want to go a step forward now. Looking at about 500€.
    1. Thrustmaster t300 Ferrari integral Alcantara edition with th8a shifter.

Or

2. Used Fanatec csw v1 with rim and pedals. But hard to find.

What you think is the better way. I am racing open wheelers a lot and like the fanatec f1rim very much. But for other Sims I need a full wheel. So much open questions...

2. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I'm eyeing the Alcantara edition myself, so I'd go with that. I hear Thrustmasters F1 wheel isn't bad either. Fanatec would probably be better but as you said, hard to find at decent prices and their customer service varies from great to non existent apparently.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. M4IRC1IE

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I love the gearshift display on the fanatec side and I know I would have it on the thrustmaster wheels. Thrustmaster has some quality issues but good customer service mostly. Fanatec on the other side is only used but I think good quality and looks great. And probably fanatec is hard to find. The v2 base is to expensive for just a toy for big boys at the end of the day :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if its an option but I would suggest the Fanatec Clubsport Shifter SQ over the th8a. The th8a is a good shifter but the Fanatec feels better and switching between H shifter and sequential is much faster.

The Alcantara wheel is nice. And if the T300 is better than the T500 I'm using (like a lot of people say) then you can't go wrong with that combo IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Around a year ago i decided to buy a fanatec set ( have had a Thrustmaster TX those days) but just before i ordered, they rise their prices significaly, so i said no way, and moved to a t300+t3pa+320mm customwheel... when they released the new v3 pedals this year i just couldn't resist and ordered one, and they bought me with that... i sold my thrustmaster set, and bought a v2 base a bmw rim and a f1 rim... i cannot explain why but it is just different, it just has that additional X factor which makes me smile every times i jump into my rig. Don't get me wrong i was happy with my thrustmaster set, it has great FFB feel, works easy in all titles, it is upgradeable, modular etc...but it just cannot compete with fanatec.
    So if your budget is limited, i would say don't hesitate and buy the t300 set with the 599 wheel and the t3pa pedals (it is around 500 euro), you wont regret it, but if you can afford the fanatec v2, that is the best belt driven wheel you can get these days....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I was about to buy the T300 ferrari edition with the better pedals and shifter myself.

But I have too much expenses to cover it now, because my laptop (for school and work yo) broke. :(
    The wheel feels solid a.f though, The ferrari wheel is also amazing.

7. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    I would buy the TM wheel and use it maybe 2 years and the go for a direct drive wheel... That would be the last wheel you buy in your life... Its the future...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    happy TM 300, t3pa-pro user here :) the stock pedals of TM 300 aren't that great (though no clue if you can keep using your old ones)

9. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I bought a T300 just about one year ago and had problems with it pretty much from the get-go. It's currently back at Thrustmaster for it's second (and final, as the warranty is about to expire) set of repairs. I can't say anything good about their customer service, it often takes 5-7 days for them to reply to an email and it took nearly two months of convincing before they finally took it back the second time. They aren't rude or anything, just slow to respond and make you go through the same series of tests and submit the same screenshots of your settings over and over again.

The few times it worked it was a really good wheel and felt fairly comparable to the CSW V2 that I upgraded to during the Black Friday sale. So if you're lucky and get a good one you'll be pleased with it. I also had the formula rim and it's nice, doesn't come close to comparing to the Fanatec Formula rim I got, but it's still a good bit of kit. I mounted my old iPhone to it to have an on-wheel display, worked pretty well.

Not trying to scare you away from it or anything, just a cautionary tale. If you get one that doesn't have problems you'll be very pleased with it as it's a substantial upgrade from the G27. I'd definitely recommend the T300 over a used CSW V1 as those were known to have some quality/reliability problems (which were improved on the V2).

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    What's the current state of the G920 / G29s? Anyone know if Logitech are actually sorting out the compatibility issues? That PC world / Currys offer looks mighty tempting

11. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Happy Thrustmaster TX/T500 user here. Would never ever buy a noisy, large deadzone G27/G29 again with there old XP drivers.
    At least Thrustmaster updates the drivers on regular basis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    T300 GTE user here. Had it since May and not experienced any issues. Build quality seems good and the FFB offers detail and subtlety yet plenty of strength if desired - quite impressive actually. Plenty of options for alternative/custom rims which is a cool feature at this price point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    "New" Logitec wheels are also overpriced imo...

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Thomas Cameron

Thomas Cameron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I've used Fanatec since 2011, csr,csw v1 and now csw v2 ,I have tried Logitech and thrustmaster,my friend owns g27 and t500 , they are nice but plastic vs metal ? Metals wins for me also modular with pc ,xbone,and ps4 compatibility it's fun for all the family :p.

But Fanatec has a new cheaper wheel base on the horizon,they just release the first addon rim for it,it also fits the csw,you may want to hold off .

Cheers

15. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Got the TX300, 599 rim (+F1 rim) modded G27 pedals and shifter, vast improvement over G27 in feel, quality, upgradeability, noise levels............... just about everything actually, just so tweakable with solid drivers that get updated, would definitely recommend to a friend.
    Am gonna take a peek at the Fanatec pedals though as they look almost robust enough for me to do my River Dance practice on!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    They are, my Elites weigh like 8lbs and are solid as an armored truck. They made me faster/more consistent too. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Which is basically the difference between t300 and t500.?

18. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    More info?

19. M4IRC1IE

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I think I will go for the t300. Fanatec is still to much money. V1 could have problems, v2 high price still used. Hopefully I don't get a thrustmaster Monday model ;-)

20. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    The T500 has better pedals, stronger FFB, a bigger default wheel, PS3.
    The TX/T300 has only 2 pedals (plastic), smoother FFB, PS4

• Informative Informative x 1