Newbie intro and questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daeburon, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Daeburon

Daeburon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello dudes and dudettes,

I stumbled on this sim a couple days ago, and im having a blast. ive played a bunch of arcade racers over the years, and had some fun with codemasters "sim/cade" F1 series, though F1 can pretty tough...but ultimately got frustrated with the F1 games due to a bunch of bugs codemasters never addresses like bad AI, bugs with AI qualifying times in the rain, all kinds of quirks with tire wear and selection when not doing full length races. some of their efforts in immersion are just over the top. i dont need/want unskippable cutscenes in a racing sim (or any game).

RRE has none of those same issues, and Formula Junior is an absolute blast. i got a spot on the novice leaderboards for one of the free tracks and then jumped up to amateur. maybe i dont completely suck, or more likely, that class and difficulty just isnt very competitive. i might have to stay in amateur for a while because im using a DS4 gamepad for now. I might get a G29 just for this game, but the prices on them are crazy right now, so it might have to wait. i already bought the US tracks pack to support the game and have some more room to play. most of these tracks are run in the SCCA Formula Vee class, which is very similar to Formula Junior. I will probably buy some Tatuus F4 and Formula Raceroom 2 and 3 cars, as well as some other favorites when i need a break from FJ. again F1 is great, but it can be intense. maybe im getting too old. i dont want to feel like i need adderall to enjoy a gaming session.

so a few questions:

in FJ, my front outside tire is always red after a few laps. setting the PSI can help make the temps smooth from inside to outside, but they are still just very high. after some more laps, sometimes the inside front tire gets red as well, and the rears are barely green.

- what is the consequence of running tires in red temps (and beyond)?

- is this just a trait of the class, or something I can/should seek to rectify with setup?

- the FJ cars have massive understeer. (which is half the fun) but can/should i seek to improve this with setup, or just go with default setups and live with it?

- i can overcome the understeer somewhat by flicking the car a bit in some corners, backing it in, or doing small drifts. is this a good or bad habit? does the game model flat spots on tires? im guessing this comes at a cost of adding heat to the tires, which seems to be already too high after just a handful of laps. also, idk if this is the fastest way through corners, but the understeer is so bad idk what else to do. (especially being limited with a gamepad) its fun regardless!

last question:

- where to submit a bug report?

in case a dev reads the thread here it is, but ill post elsewhere if needed:

when you select "display speed as MPH" in options, the game converts most other measurements in the game to SAE from metric, however if you go into the car setup, tyre info shows Kpa instead of PSI, and also on the "Driveline" page, the top speeds of each gear are still displayed as KMH instead of MPH.

thats it from me. Happy racing, dont forget to hug your turns like your favorite grandma. cheers!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi and welcome.

Running tyres past their optimal operating range will first of all reduce their grip level. They will also wear out quicker, so massive overheating should be avoided.

The Formula Raceroom Junior car is pretty unique, mostly in that it offers almost no downforce from aerodynamic parts, simply because there aren't any. ;) With that comes a natural tendency to oversteer, especially when it's being overdriven.

Trying to eliminate this oversteer by initiating small slides is not recommended, and it might be the root of your tyre heat problem. Same goes for setups. Of course it's always a matter of personal taste and if you don't like the default setup one bit then by all means edit the heck out of it until it suits you, but in general the default setups are already pretty well balanced, with a tendency for safety, i.e. understeering rather than oversteering.
    That being said, you can try to reduce understeer by softening the suspension in the front, or stiffening it in the rear (but that could make it prone to oversteering and you might end up overdriving the tyres again).

You can submit bugs here on the forum, in the community support section or in our Discord server's help section.

If you're not familiar with gamepad setup in isi engine based games, this guide explaining the most important settings for gamepad users I made some time ago could be useful: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/a-beginners-guide-to-gamepads.9250/

Hope this helped a bit.