Newbie question about AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LMB_123_space, Nov 1, 2018.

1. LMB_123_space

LMB_123_space New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,

I just recently started with sim racing and I really enjoy it. There is one thing that keeps frustrating me though, and that is when racing against AI sometimes.
    I always try to be careful since I find that this game shows which simulator Sebastian Vettel trains with :) because a slight bump from the AI/other car and you spin. And while that is annoying when it's my own fault, I have to learn the cars/tracks/handling etc. so that doesn't frustrate me. What does is when in a duel for position with the AI on the straight (any car or track really), and I'm on the racing line, the AI which is beside me and slightly behind just moves on to that line and hits my car, (this is before/during corners). aaand off you go while the AI happily moves on. I get when the AI does that when it is in front of me, but when his bonnet barely is beside my rear tires and it still does that, which results in me spinning right away, I find that really frustrating.
    Perhaps it's just that I have to learn but the example I just gave happened quite a few times, and as I said, I don't mind(kind of) when that happens because of my own mistakes, but it seems at times the AI has no situational awareness, and the reaction time of a 90 year old.
    The AI sits at 90/95 % right now, with 90 being slightly to weak in terms of pace, and 95 I really have to put an effort in on track I'm not familiar with.
    Does it get better at higher AI settings? or does that not make any difference?
    I'm curious to hear if some experienced sim racers have had the same problem and if there is something to do about it or that it's something I just have to deal with.
    I'm enjoying the game (most of the time obviously) and would like to be able to set the AI a bit higher but I don't really want to do that as of now because I just wont enjoy it when stuck in the middle of the pack due to how fast/slow I am, I know it probably gets better with experience, but right now I just don't trust the AI when I'm racing it.

Well, that's kind of a 'Newbie story with some kind of question within' instead of just a question, but I think you'll get the point ;)

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day.

PS. English isn't my native language, so please forgive some inevitable grammatical '404' ;).

2. Aspius

Aspius Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    First of all, welcome to the world of sim racing and more specifically Raceroom. It's a great place to be at.

There are people more qualified then me for answering this but I can still ask some questions.

Is it possible that you could provide some replays of the incidents as it will be much easier to tell with them.

You mention it happens before and during the corner. This could possibly be you moving in the braking zone and changing your racing line but it's impossible for us to tell without seeing exactly what happens.

What cars and tracks have you been using when this happens?

As a newbie you should keep asking questions, learn from those with more experience. All of us were newbies at one point asking the same questions. Some people forget that from time to time though.

3. LMB_123_space

LMB_123_space New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey, thanks for the reply.
    I'll try to find those replays, though it's kind of a long list of replays now :) many failed attempts etc. ;)
    It's with all kind of cars tbh, though in my experience I'm having this 'problem' mostly with the P1 and P2 cars. perhaps those are more sensitive because I get 'hit' by the AI or 'hit' the AI myself in the DTM as well, and didn't really have that much issues to keep the car on track with those, though it still happens from time to time. I'll try to be more specific and will try to get some replay from it when it happens again.

4. Barracuda318

Barracuda318 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    AI are not that smart, they are just digital robots, so you need to give them plenty of room,
    they are also rather predictable, so it helps to learn what they will do in any given corner,
    then plan your race line to take advantage of that, and avoid contact
    AI are useful. but they can not replace real human drivers,
    and you should not expect them to react like a real human driver

5. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if you already use the Crew chief app. If not, more info here.

6. LMB_123_space

LMB_123_space New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Had it downloaded, yet didn't use it, used it just now in a FR3 race on Spielberg. It's an awesome tool, makes it so much easier to keep track on what is happening during the race, and with the car. Not to mention that spotter :)

PS. couldn't post with the link in the quote, so I removed that bit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LMB_123_space

LMB_123_space New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tip, I took note of it, and took a more careful approach during the race. Seems to be working better now, together with the Crew Chief app and taking more time with overtakes. Got from P26 to P1 in a 30 lap race because of that (FR3 on Spielberg). Though it wasn't a good race (made a ton of mistakes) but I'm happy I can finally beat the AI on 97 now, and it was fun, had some sort of 'concentrated-determent-slightly scared-reasonably content-grin' on my face for most of the time, think that's the most important part ;)

Thanks for all the advise, i'm just starting and most certainly have plenty to learn. But all the advise given here already made a difference, so thank you all for that :)

Have a nice day :)

• Like Like x 1