Nordschleife 24h needs a performance fix!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tonbei, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Tonbei

Tonbei Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys,

first of all I want to say thank you for all your work and efforts you put into this. This is by far the best Nordschleife to date, period. It looks outstanding and the improved physics are amazing. There is only one little hair in the soup and that is the lacking frame rate in the Nordschleife 24 h race. On the other Nordschleife tracks I get 90-100 fps res 1440P Nvidia G-sync every setting on high.
    On the 24h race my frame rate drops to 40-50 fps. I know there is a bigger crowd and some tents, but a frame rate drop of 50 fps? I hope you guys will look into this. There seems to be an overall performance issue, because I lowered my settings to medium and even to low, frame rate stays at 40-50 fps.
    I have another issue when I glance left or right there is basically no animation like in AC, PC and Rfactor 2. Is there a way to lower the glancing speed? I look very often in the race left or right if someone tries to pass me.

greetz

Tonbei

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  2. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    Agree, 24h layout is tremedous FPS hog, something that S3S should look into. It is by good margin the worst performing track in R3E at the moment. It is of course nice to have shit around the track, but not at tremendous cost. This very same thing is also a problem in many sims that have mod tracks: some of them look just beautiful, but the FPS impact is huge.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Tonbei

Tonbei Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hi mate it sedates me that I am not the only one having this issue lol. I really don't know why there is a 50% fps loss. Stopped the car at some sectors as I said a bigger crowd and some tents. I like the Techno music in some areas very cool atmosphere. I hope S3S will look into this soon. The 24 h layout is my favourite Nordschleife track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sayjimwoo

Sayjimwoo Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I agree with the performance drops on this track.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. The_Grunt

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure S3S lads will look at this. We've had tracks with performance problems before (Moscow and Shanghai), and AFAIK they have been solved or at least alleviated as much as possible.

6. DirtyriceTX

DirtyriceTX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    It's very smooth for me. My frames run from high 60s to low 90s. I only have a 60hz monitor. I have every setting in the game maxed running at higher than 1080p resolution.

i7 4790
    asus gtx 960
    16gb ram

7. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Also since this is a newer track and it seems like a lot of detail is in it, it may tax your system more.....performance fixes or not.

So lower settings....sadly, but if fps is your goal.

8. The_Grunt

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion there shouldn't be this big performance differences between tracks. I can understand it with mod tracks and cars in other sims where you may have to fiddle with your settings depending on the vehicle and track you are choosing. Which in itself is extremely infuriating.

But we are talking about dev content here and it should perform pretty much on par with everything else there. Overall performance is what it is, but it shouldn't vary tens of percents between different tracks. We've seen this before, at least with Moscow and Shanghai, and S3S has since optimised those tracks.

This is especially important when we are bying content as dlc and can't test drive tracks beforehand. I expect the performance to be on par with everything else, when I make the purchase.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Experiencing that here too. What I don't get is why the 24 Hours layout is 40-50s, but the VLN layout is a solid 60 (with vsync)—there's not much to choose between the two layouts in terms of detail. The Tourist layout is also <60 for me for whatever reason.

10. The_Grunt

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    There is that party area near the start which most likely causes the frame drop and which VLN doesn't have. There is just too much stuff there, which eats the performance. Much of that can't be even seen that well when racing, at least unless you stop your car. Most of it seems to be hidden from racing view, but I bet there is a lot polygons there to churn. So, this is mostly an optimisation issue. Or at least it seems to me like it is.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I think it's fair enough, just use the VLN one. I think the Tourist layout adds all sorts of detail to the car park and road section and obviously the 24H one has (justifiably) a lot of extras, so it seems reasonable to expect.

12. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Ah well that explains that. Thanks!

13. Tonbei

Tonbei Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    read what I wrote mate :) It doesn't matter whether you set it to high, medium or low. Frame rate keeps somehow locked between 40-50 fps. Most of the time for me 47 fps even in none crowded areas. As I mentioned this is a performance issue in general. They need to tweak the 24 h layout. The other tracks work fine ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. The_Grunt

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    By the way, I just tested Tourist with 30 AI and FPS always stayed at 60 vsynced. In that 24 h layout, FPS improves immediately, when we turn from the Ring to the schleife, so it is defintely that Stadium area and all the stuff there. I get dips below 60 on other parts of the Ring also, but not that bad as in the start and during the first couple of turns. Annoying still, as everywhere else I can throw in easily around 30 cars and have no FPS problems.

15. Tonbei

Tonbei Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    A little flaw in your thinking mate :) The frame rate always stays between 40-50. You can be on the long straight at the end of the track with no crowd, really nothing going on around you, the frame rate will not increase. They have to fix this pronto! :D Best looking layout and not very good optimized.

16. Tonbei

Tonbei Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I get sometimes even 100 -130 fps. I have an Acer G-Sync 1440P 144 HZ monitor. So no tearing for me. Runs smooth like butter ;) Only the 24h layout is messed up.

17. The_Grunt

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    In that last straight I get a small few second dip around 56 fps and then it goes lower again when coming back to the Ring start-finish line, just like in start and Ring has drops here and there as described. That last dip in the schleife occurs only with 24h layout, though.

I guess it depends how much you have resources left above that 60fps, so results will vary.

18. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I get similar results on 24 Hours: in the 40s on the start line, then around 56 fps on the last straight—and 60 if I look behind. So, you know, any sacrifice for an fps boost...

19. Tonbei

Tonbei Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Made some in depth test on the 24h layout. The crowd you see there are not polygons at all. They are simply cardboard figures. They do not have any animations. So my point is there is really no argument here for a frame rate drop! No party grilling people no Barbecue! :p

20. Tonbei

Tonbei Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    S3S this is one of your best releases! I would have called it a Masterpiece. But the frame rate issue has a sour aftertaste! Guys you really have to iron this out! The 24h track has such a cool atmosphere, after that I don't want to go back to the other Nordschleife tracks. I really hope someone of your devs show up here and give us a feedback on this matter! Many thanks for your understanding and support!