Nordschleife long straight - weird uphill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ElNino, Nov 5, 2015.

1. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    This question could be asked anywhere, but since this forum has the best people on it :cool:, i figured i'd asked here....

So in every game i've driven the nordschleife, the long flatout section in the middle that kinda divides the course in two always seems to treat the car as if it is going uphill, as in the car struggles to reach top speed, but the driver's view seems more like it's actually going downhill.

So what's the story with this section? Is it just an illusion due to the rest of the course, and really an uphill section? Why do the cars struggle so much to reach speed on much of it? Will it be the same in the R3E version.

By the way, this came up because i finally bought project cars - was pretty disappointed at first, but it's growing on me after alot of fiddling with settings (graphical mainly) and trying some different cars - have to say I expected a better car selection. The eye candy is very nice, but often the cars seem like they are floating around rather than wheels turning on pavement, if that makes sense. It's got potential, but goes to show how hard it is to make a great sim like AC or R3E, both of which nail the driving experience pretty well. They also both seem to have a better look of realism overall, if not as impressive graphically as pcars. the single player mode is nice so far in pcars. I'd recommend it on sale - heck if you are a sim fan, the more the merrier.

2. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    The long flatout section in the middle is a very long uphill, so yes the car will strugle there if the downforce are great and the car is not powerfull enough. Same goes for the last long straight it's more or less flat but litle upward then at the end even more up before the easy left turn then steep downhil before last corners uphill toward finish. So yes it is a illusion that it is almost flat. ;)

I agree that the eye candy in project cars is more than the handling it feels as you so well put it floating cars,but not all of the cars some are fairly good... But one thing I miss in other sims is the weather, rain, foggy, night races. But I stick with RRRE and hope they too get night racing would be cool with litle rain now and then. :D

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That section, starting at "Breitscheid" and stretching up to the "Hohe Acht", is the main incline of the track and one massive climb without much alteration in slope. That's why it doesn't look/feel like a climb, once you're on it the pitch barely changes and there aren't many visual reference points, except for a load of trees.
    [​IMG]
    The height profile shows just how steep it really is, Breitscheid is the lowest point of the track at 320 m above sea level and the Hohe Acht is one of the highest spots at 610 m, making this a 290 m climb over just 3.5 km's, with max inclinations of up to 16 %.
    [​IMG]
    There are actual reasons this thing is called Green Hell and this is one of them. ;)

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  4. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Nice post thanks, I didn't realise exactly how the gradients worked and I've been to the 24h four times.......

5. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info fellas, good stuff!

• Like Like x 1