Released Nordschleife

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by KW Studios, May 31, 2015.

1. R.C. Collins

R.C. Collins Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    FWIW, I too would like to see dynamic tracks where heat, rubbered in line and marbles affect everything. Dynamic tires would be great (Proper tire wear, flat spotting and punctures). They already have chassis noise so why not take it one step further and have chassis component wear, damage and failures. As well, more realistic vehicle body damage that affects aero.

Right now, every 'simulator' is guilty of catering to the lowest common denominator. I get it since you have to make money however, why not put those things in for those who want a real 'hardcore' experience. Most have never been on a track let alone driven any kind of competition vehicle. When you've done that, managed your car and its components, managed your brakes, your tires, driven consistent lap times and finished or even more so placed, THEN there really is an amazing feeling of accomplishment. Down to the 1/1000th of a second you know who was best that session.

Currently it's mostly a bunch of ADHDs driving like banshees in sprint races that become little more than wreckfests.

i.e. I won't say which Sim but I was in a session last night where I was inside one second from the fastest drivers. The difference, I drove 29 laps like that whereas most of the others couldn't put together more than 2-4 laps BUT everyone is chasing that silly fast time for 'Bragging Rights'. These are the same people that will wreck everyone time after time because muscle memory dictates that you reproduce what you practice. Practice 2 fast laps and that's exactly what you'll do.

Point is, Quality over Quantity.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    No offence to Tarik and other m8s who comment like that above but it it appears to me like this :

Q: " I want a real nice pie no matter which kind but it should be tasty, the real thing, ya know ?"
    A: "Here lad, I made a real nice pie for you, with finest ingredients"
    Q: "Where are the fruits, I want strawberry !"
    A:"What? Goda....uhm... you didn't mention you wanna strawberries - just a fine pie ..the real thing you've said...."
    (Walks back to the kitchen to make another one comes back after a while with a nice strawberry pie)
    A: "Here pal- Good appetite !"
    Q: "Nah, without whipped cream thats no real Strawberry Pie. Where's the cream ?"
    A: "BUT..well.....okay !" (Rushing back to get whipped cream, comes back) "Here my friend : whipped cream"
    Q: "No offence, but your neighbor has made a real nice Strawberry Cake, lost my appetite on yours unfortunately - guess I go over there - but thanks for your effort - I come back when you've got the reaL thing - cya ;) "

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. R.C. Collins

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I think you've missed the point slightly. Nobody said that what was here was not good. I personally like this game/sim... whatever you want to call it.

I think what most are driving at (no pun intended) is perhaps forget the new tracks and cars for a while and put more into the back end framework of what it is we are driving around and the tracks we are driving on.

i.e. On the simplest level, we cannot even save a setup but there are 2 new tracks announced and 2 new full series of cars at $12 - $20 or so. Now, I think someone has said the setup saving is coming but you see what I'm talking about? There isn't any real tire wear or overheating (dynamics) to speak of that I'm aware of but we're getting new stuff to blow money on. I own almost all the content! Give me the icing on that cake!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tobias Schröder

Tobias Schröder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    Mee too.
    That would be awesome, I love the Roadbooks of my favourite games, R3E should also have one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Gah, you just described my day job. :confused::mad::(

The common response to that argument is that the people working on content do not work on features and functions, meaning the guy who models the tracks doesn't work on things like pit stops or flags or netcode stability, etc. Furthermore, the guy who models tracks and cars probably doesn't know diddly squat about how to code blue flag behavior for the AI or how to implement pit stops. It's like telling me (a graphic designer) to stop doing design work so I can go downstairs to run the press............just because I work for the same company doesn't mean I know jack about how to operate a printing press (and, I don't know jack about it). So by forgetting the design work we have in no way increased press production, just like forgetting the new tracks and cars would in no way increase the rate of work on the back end framework. Hiring more people would solve this problem, but in order to do this they need more money, which they generate by selling more/new content, so they need the content creators to keep creating in order to fund the other improvements to the game.

Of course, as a greedy and impatient gamer, this explanation doesn't satisfy my desires, but it is the realistic state of things.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Take it with humor :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    It's well-known that Sector3 is a very small team and short of much-needed programmers to help the core game develop at a faster pace. They lost staff when Simbin closed and despite the upheaval of moving studio, I think what they have achieved in the past 12-18 months is highly commendable.

Obviously content creation will always be the focus as it drives the business model. Sector3 (literally) cannot afford to stand still on that one. They can't hire the much needed staff without a reliable revenue stream because, let's not forget, we don't actually pay for this game with an upfront lump sum as per most of the competition.

But I do agree with the general points in @R.C. Collins' last couple of posts. It's time for R3E to kick-on. We've got a solid platform and a plethora of great cars and tracks, but.........R3E is still a rudimentary sim, a hollow shell. It desperately needs flesh on the bones to be considered a true 'next-gen' race sim contender rather than a slightly prettier, better-sounding version of RACE 07 with less features. We need those features that have been a basic part of racing sims for many years (e.g. weather, flags, safety cars, pit windows, more race setup options, etc...) as well as those dynamic features that will take the genre to the next level. The things that reward smart driving rather than the flat-out hot-lap pace that we see now, lap after lap, rinse and repeat. As previously mentioned, dynamic track evolution and weather as well as advanced tyre and brake models that require proper management.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    We gonna crack this chestnut again, I thought it was made perfectly clear by people in the know that each part of the game has it's devs that concentrate on their thing, so in theory all aspects move along, maybe not at the same pace but all heading in one direction, so content will continue, physics will improve, licenses will be acquired, multiplayer will expand, flags shall be waved but alas patience will shorten!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Two words: Raceroom Entertainment.
    They call the shots, they determine what has to be down and when. If they promise to create a DTM game till the end of the season then that's what S3S has to deliver.
    If they had total freedom, I guess things would have turned out quite differently...

EDIT: Not trying to slag them though, they've been putting quite a sum in this project up till now....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  10. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Yeah you're all right. I know that raceroom tell s3 what they have to do but thats not a excuse. When they have a redline during the production process then i can't understand why they have not a public roadbook or something else (codemasters=dirty ralley show how it works).
    We (the community) ask nothing special or some freaking stuff, we ask just about standard features in a sim.
    Im not saying that s3 doing a bad Job, r3e is great with the features they are still implemented and they have set a high standard (maybe the highest) of ffb,Sound,physics and when ure on a track and fight against others i have that feeling "damn im in a real race, thats fnkg awesome". Ac its not feel like a real race, its feel wired for me, cars look like bobby cars.
    Rf2 is overhyped and far behind s3e, i know rf2 drivers tell a different Story but theyre wrong, sorry guys.

Thats all what im not talking about.

New content is good but not all.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, sure, everybody can ask for whatever he likes. But you will understand that there are many requests. For you dynamic surface is crucial, others say its weather or night races or longer races or more setup options etc. etc. And while I'm sure the devs would like to cater all those, they have to prioritize and the main priority will always have to be to make the man with the money happy. (Do I sound like a pimp right now? ;) )
    Of course everyone is a stakeholder of sorts, having "invested" some money in this project, but people seem to forget that that is a fraction of what it costs to run this whole thing. So saying "I'm a paying customer so I feel I'm entitled to this or that" is all fair and square, but the biggest "customer" of S3S is Raceroom.

A roadmap, well, maybe it's just a precaution to not put something like this out here, cause it would stir expectations and when expectations aren't met, people tend to go apeshit. And just maybe even S3S sometimes don't know what's gonna be thrown at them next.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  12. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Of course many requests but most of them are in the same range.
    I miss a official Statement from devs, they can tell us whats coming next or whats not in development. I dont want cry like a Baby and I have no reason to do that, im.just hopefull.

13. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    A company that does not announce much in advance, is less likely to later dissappoint its customers.
    Its wise not to promise too much ahead. If then you cannot meet a timeline, you are spared from the choire of wolves howling.

They have told us, however, what is comiong next in tracks and cars, haven't they. And then hinted at some more features and details. Us players must not know about just every single detail in their work and decision processes. We must play the game as it is there right now.

A confirmation by the company that they take note of bug reports, complaints, suggestions and wishes, would be welcomed, however.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. w.velgersdijk

w.velgersdijk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I can not say it better!

15. R.C. Collins

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Everyone makes good points and arguments though I don't see this as an 'argument' as much as discussion which is always positive.

Not to be misunderstood, if one were to look at several of my past posts, not necessarily on this thread/topic, you will understand that I believe what S3 has going here has the potential to be at the forefront so I want to see it improve and succeed and perhaps in ways other sims are failing or have failed.

It would be great if anything that is done now and moving forward is done well/correctly since it seems once programming in a particular direction is underway, it's hard to turn back or alter that course.

IMO, as much as things like AC and rF2 are okay to drive, they are quickly becoming antiquated in that while AC looks good, it's missing MMO and the driving seems 'stale' to me. rF2 is, again IMO, overrated. The graphics are horribly outdated, 3 years in, it's still Beta at best no matter how they spin it, the fan base is in denial and it too is missing MMO. Only one Sim, though not perfect, offers a balance of everything with RRE a strong contender if played out correctly.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  16. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    As far off topic as this thread is now (I mean, it is a thread about the Nordschleife after all...), I will say that, even though it may not always seem like it... the devs take into account many of the bugs that are listed here in an attempt to squash them and get rid of them in a future release.

As with anything in software development and a limited team, decisions need to be made after giving a quick assessment to a bug and how difficult (time consuming) it will be to fix. Many small bugs that generally go unseen have been taken care of by the devs and many more bigger issues, are being looked into. Im sure they could say this better than me, but these things just take time with limited personnel.

From my experience reporting bugs and seeing them take care of the bugs I report, but also many other people, they are quite efficient and it is almost a wonder to me just how much Sector3 has accomplished this past year.

As for a roadmap of what is to come next... Im pretty sure that information was shared recently... On August 21st, on the last dev stream with special guest Kelvin van der Linde. GT3 updates pretty much across the board. With DTM to come sometime soon as well. Oh, and of course SPA! Beyond that, Im not really sure, but the game is being continually worked on! :)

Oh, lastly, what kind of person would I be if I didnt join in on the wishlists... Well, actually not much of a wishlist, just some enthusiasm... Come on Nordschleife! :cool:

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I returned to the Nordschleife in AC yesterday and tried different types of Formula 1 cars on it (first time ever I did that). What a hellride. I am eager to try some of the more exotic cars in R3E on R3E's Nordschleife. Honestly said, imagining that by past experiences now with comparing visual style of environments recreated in AC and R3E - I expect it to look better in R3E.

Go-go-go, S3! I thought one lasered Nordschleife would be enough. I was wrong. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @Jay Ekkel for giving me and my buddy a chance to driving the nordschleife @Simracingexpo

Big big thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, where's the smartphone vid? :p

20. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Upload take few minutes