On screen or trackside flag system.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Insaneozzy, Apr 10, 2016.

?

Do you think an on screen flag system would be a positive step for RRE?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Not sure

4. Don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    During a league event hosted by ESR, there were a few incidents where back markers & lapped drivers impeded front runners whilst being lapped for the 1st or 2nd time.

So I was wondering whether it's possible to have Blue flags added in game that pop up on screen or track side, so that the guys at the rear of the field knew they were about to be passed by the front runners. Giving them time to move over and give racing room.

There were also incidents in the 1st few laps were guys spun, but without some form of flag system it's near impossible to know that they are facing the wrong way or stranded across the track, until you come around the corner and are greeted by their car, leaving you nowhere to go and effectively spoiling your race. As was the case for me, but if there was a yellow flag popup on screen or track side, I may have avoided the spun car and not lost 5 positions, as I would of been warned by the yellow flags.

To have Blue and Yellow flags popup would add another level of realism to RRE, and provide an early warning that there is an incident ahead or alert you to the fact your about to be lapped.

I would be interested to hear S3S's take on whether this is on the cards for a future update, as I think many would agree it is needed sooner, rather than later, especially for league racing.

Cheers

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    @J-F Chardon can you shed any light on, if or when, this may be implemented in game, as it's something that is critical to enhance everyone's racing immersion, enhance the level of simulation within RRE, and is an essential part of any good league racing structure.
    Another point to consider is the safety car aspect, I have heard that it was something that was on the cards, could you shed any light on this as well.

Cheers

3. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW I only voted "not sure" because I wanted to see the results without committing to vote, but the proposal actually sounds like a very good idea. This would be easy enough to display graphically, but I guess the tricky part would be ensuring that the flags trigger correctly and not when they shouldn't - though I assume some other sims manage this?

One could also argue the case for a safety car when needed:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    A proper full flag system with safety car would be a huge step forward in racing immersion (with the current AI the marshals will have a buzy schedule!)

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. mister dog

mister dog Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I suggested this already for other racing games, it would be real nice and refreshing if the flag system would consist of actual trackside marshals waving them, instead of a message or an on screen flag, which is the general rule nowadays if a flag system is available.

Why not do it right and refreshing the first time, immersion +10 :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Even Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix on the Amiga had actual marshals waving flags!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    They had marshals in Race 07.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Yes I would love to have both blue and yellow flags. I'd prefer an audio cue...e.g. from spotter....for the realism factor.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I use the crew chief app. It always says blue flag, but a yellow flag would be nice just so you know you are approaching a wrecj

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Well, flags enough. Racing Bathurst I always get distracted by waving audience flags. Just put them in the hands of Marshals, tell them when to wave each colour and off we go;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. ДДºMortICi

ДДºMortICi Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    The waving flag animations (in the crowds) on the side of the track just need to go IMHO, they are a bit jarring. Either update them or remove them, says I.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Bobby Edge

Bobby Edge Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, I think most of have learned to ignore them.

A blue / yellow flag system needs to be obvious and displayed(possibly near the mirror/upper middle part of the screen). An audio/spotter cue would also be a tremendous step forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    +1 to implement blue & yellow flags as essential to a good race. Disagree re crowd flags as I love them & the atmosphere they bring. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Great to see so many putting forward their opinion on this issue, shame there has been "No Responce" on any official level even after requesting one.
    The fact is we need a flag system but it would seem its an issue S3S dont wish to discuss with their "paying customers/community" great PR skills guys, sorry to be so negative, but your lack of a responce to basic question is pretty unprofessional in my opinion.

15. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well to be fair to them ozzy there is few things it is hard to get answers on at times. I have asked about VR numerous times in several threads in an attempt to raise discussion and get some proper answers from the devs. J-F gave a vague answer to Darin in the broadcast interview few weeks back but otherwise nothing. Perhaps they are just hard at work and not much time to answer many things ? :rolleyes:

On the bright side I do remember one of the devs mentioning that the code for Blue flags was already working in this new patch but the UI for on screen graphics had yet to be implemented - so at least we are heading in the right direction.:D

16. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Also they often said that most features people ask for, in sake of racing experience completeness are on their wish list, too.

So we can assume this will come. I'd expect at some point in time the game will be quite complete as race07 was. There is no indication that devs would not want any of this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    J-F Chardon have voted "Yes". That is good enough. I guess this is on their to-do-list.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I vote yes.
    But that is for a flag system implemented, I don't want them on screen.
    As long as King @mr_belowski can collect that information I'm happy!! :)
    If I also get marshals waving them on the side of the track, thats a bonus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I don't really car too much how it's implemented, more important is that the flags are triggered and enforced correctly IMHO, otherwise it could be annoying. Also perhaps an option to have flags or not (I'd probably used them, but don't feel that everyone should be forced to), though for club races they should probably be enforced.

There could even, perhaps, be different options for how the flags are displayed, to cater for different tastes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Yep. I don't use Crew Chief so would rely on some kind of on screen indication if there are no trackside marshal flags.

• Agree Agree x 1