OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Can you please clarify "run it from Steam". Does that mean clicking "Play" in Steam Library on Desktop? I am not familiar with Steam VR and can't configure it properly, so never used it (during tutorial, it asks me to press some button, and I tried all of them not one is accepted).

Right now, when I start game it is very blurry no matter what multiplier I pass in command line. I am on CV1.

EDIT: Working now. Do not know what helped, maybe re-calibration of Steam VR.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. oliver.johann

oliver.johann New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The shadows on the tarmac could be improved.
    There is only one color (grey) for all shadows, be it the shadow underneath the car or the shadow form a building. So when the cars drive at e.g. Macau with lots of shadows from buildings, it looks like the cars in front of me are floating above the ground. Looks quite unrealisic. The shadow underneath the cars should be much darker (i.e. black), than the shadows from the buildings.
    This didn't bother me on my single monitor, but in VR it's a bit immersion breaking.

3. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    i think this is because the contact (or 'drop') shadows are currently disabled in VR - normally you'd see an additional darker area under the car

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. tonypdb

tonypdb New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    THANK YOU!!!! everything works now. AMAZING in VR!!!

5. oliver.johann

oliver.johann New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That explains it. Thank you

6. realstinger

realstinger New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Can i just ask if you actually had the game crash (includin dump file)once you get to the track? I have tried the reset view but my game is genuinely crashing when i arrive at the track.

7. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    What launch options do you use in properties, and also what are your graphic settings?
    My game crashed the first time I tried VR because I was too optimistic over what graphics my system would handle.

8. realstinger

realstinger New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply, i have tried many settings, lol. I am currently using -vr 0.5, and in game graphics on low! Game starts fine, menus all work etc, but no matter what car/track i choose it crashes at the point it says "press any key to continue". I am using a rift cv1, My pc is considered slightly under power (i5-2500k @4.5, 8gb ram, msi gtx 980ti), but i have no problems with other games. I have verified my cache, even done a fresh install, the game works perfectly if i turn the vr launch options off, so frustrated. lol

9. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Just played a bit, my feedback:
    * Really nice performance, didn't expect first version to be this fast and fluid (even with my supposedly outdated CPU). Great job, S3S! There's some image corruption/flashing, but I guess it is caused by ASW when multiplier is set too high to get decent FPS.

Issues:
    * SteamVR integration - when I launch the game, I need to take headset off, to minimize Steam VR bar. Otherwise, mouse is difficult to use in the game.
    * As others reprorted, shutdown is an issue. Steam VR needs to be closed, and I had "VR service" crash once, which made me kill Steam as I couldn't close it otherwise.
    * While in garage during race session (paused state with menu visible) image in the background (cars) jumping/moving sometimes, almost like head tracking steal happens? It should be still.
    * Sometimes, game launches at very low resolution. I don't know what causes it. Using CV1.

10. ycusteau

ycusteau New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow.... for a 1st pass you accomplished a lot. I love this game in VR !!

11. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Just minimize all other programs on your windows desktop, e.g. steam vr, then the mouse pointer will work fine again.

12. MrTay.

MrTay. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I'm still getting a completely black screen on Oculus. Tried everything i think. Re-installed, deleted user profile, started on screen, swapped to VR, theatre on, theatre off, the obvious -vr, no joy. It was fine the first time i tried it even though the view was from the left hand front wing. Since then - nothing. Help here will be greatly appreciated. :)

13. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Have you calibrated Steam VR room? You need to install Steam VR and set it up. One more thought remove -vr switch and go into game without VR. Map Center VR view button (not sure of exact name) and launch game again. Then, with headset on, hit that button. Maybe image is behind your head. And, obviously no SLI, R3E does not support it. Desktop being black is normal.

14. Consolefanatic

Consolefanatic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Works very well for an early Build and brought me back to R3E after months of playing other VR Sims :)
    Haven't tried it with AI, but 1.8 Resolution at medium settings and 2xMSAA runs smooth and looks very clean on my Rift CV1.
    Good job guys!!!

I have one question. Will medium car textures also effect interior textures or only outside? Thx

15. nivadepi

nivadepi Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    thank you for this, the wait is over. insta bought all the content and i love it

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  16. bakayoyo

bakayoyo Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    This sort of thing happens to me if there are other controllers connected that are not completely centered. Try to make sure none of your controllers have axis that are slightly off the dead center.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. -= Rooooney =-

-= Rooooney =- New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I allways get a "Crash Report" message when I try to launch the game. Other games are running well. (AC / pCars / iRacing). I made a fresh installation without any success. Without VR, the game is running fine.

My Specs:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    20 GB RAM
    SSD (480GB + 250GB)
    Core i7 2600k @4,6 Ghz

I hope you can help me to enjoy it soon :D
    PS: I can upload my Crash Report if its helpful)

18. -= Rooooney =-

-= Rooooney =- New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here is the Crashreport I got. Meanwhile I also tried:
    - delete Simbim folder
    - reinstall the game
    - checked uptodate .Net Framework

Attached Files:

19. Robes

Robes New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,

I'm glad to see VR implemented, it made me come back, however it's currently unplayable for me.
    My system is an AMD R9 Nano and an i5 6600k clocked to 3.5GHz. I'm using a Vive for VR.

With everything turned down or off and the command line set to -vr 1.0 I still get terrible framerates even as the sole car on track.

Is anyone else using AMD hardware? I'm wondering if that's the issue.

20. Iggy_82

Iggy_82 Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I just did a practice session on zandvort with a full grid of cars and all of the cpu cores were between 30-50% with one of them up to 80% and my gpu at around 35%, everything is fluid but gets blurry every here and there when other cars is in motion.
    I know that my CPU is to weak for my GTX 980 in some situations and R3E is maybe one of them future will tell if they can optimize the game better. I can run a full grid of cars in AC on maxed out settings and it´s fluid with no noticable fps drops with cpu cores around 50% and GPU at 100%, same in Project Cars on High settings. A cpu and mobo change have to wait until my hobby account gets a refill.