Pit to car radio app available - work in progress

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Jun 24, 2015.

1. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    If you assign RRE to 50% and Crewchief to 100%, do you leave all the audio setting in RRE as default?

2. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Yes, R3E is untouched.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yep. Want to be assisted by such a system, not annoyed. "Stay outsid, stay low. Stay outside, stay low." > "STFU"

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Couldnt agree more.. I am my own spotter through my mirrors and looking left/right :sweatsmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
  6. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Hi all.

Silly question, but have do I turn up the VOL on the app, as it's fine when I play in stereo, but too low when I play in 5.1/7.1.

Thanks

7. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    You have to start Raceroom and the App. then you have to go back to your desktop and open the sound mixer in windows. Turn the overall volume up to 100, every program will move with it. Then put Raceroom to 50 and readjust the overall sound to your liking. This way the app won't get louder but the game will get quitter which gives you the same result. If 50 is to low then redo all the steps and choose 60 or 70 for Raceroom

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I think a spotter would be way out of the scope of this addon, but I really really like the iRacing spotter!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    A weather spotter would be cool in the future.. :cool:

Spotter: "Rain in Sector1/2, careful at the hairpins" @ Nurburgring for example
    Me: "Get them intermediates ready" :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Kjell Eilertsen

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Weather spotter would be cool indeed, but first we need weather... :p

11. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Surprisingly there's *some* scope for a spotter. The app can read the player's current speed and the time gap in front and behind. If we're confident that the car in front is moving at approximately the same speed as the player's car, and we assume both cars are on the racing surface, we can work out the distance between the two cars. If we then assume each car is the same length we can guess whether their positions are overlapping.

There are lots of problems with this - we have to make sure this doesn't trigger every time you drive past the pits or past a parked or very slow car (hence the need to establish that the other car is moving at a similar speed). We can only infer that the cars are overlapping (no idea which side your opponent is on) so the message would be limited to "hold your line.." and "clear". We'd have to sample the shared memory block more regularly (at least for the speed and time deltas). All this is manageable but the interaction between these spotter messages and any other messages that might be getting played is awkward. Do we only play spotter messages when there are no others being played? Do we interrupt? Do we 'open' the radio channel ("beeeep") when we say "hold your line", then keep it open (blocking other messages) until the "clear... beeeep" message? This might take 10 or 20 seconds for a long battle.

There's also issues with the app's structure - currently messages are queued to play in the next second or so. The spotter messages must be played instantly so would need to use some other code path. The background files would also need to be extended or looped to accommodate potentially very long radio open periods.

So while I'd love to implement this, and being able to create a (crude) spotter from the limited data in the current data block would be quite satisfying, I'm concerned that it'll be a lot of very fiddly work. It may end up being intrusive, inconsistent, unreliable (after all each car *isn't* the same length, and *isn't* always going the same speed), and unhelpful (well, is he on my left or my right?).

• Like Like x 3
  12. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and ta for the F1 radio messages - I'll have a rummage later.

I'll also look to add some of the suggestions from earlier in the thread, but I've not been able to do anything on the app today so I think the next release will have to wait till tomorrow now :(

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Thanks very much for the tip.

14. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Just some more ideas.

1. Ability to assign a (wheel)button to CrewChief so when you press it it tells your position/deltas/laptime. My T300 has a nice radio button waiting for CrewChief. :D
    2. Be able to output the audio to a different audio device. So the car sound comes from my main speakers and CrewChief via my headset.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Kjell Eilertsen

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    If in a battle with someone, the last thing I want is any info on my tire temps, lap time etc, I'd be yelling like LH at the pitwall "DONT TALK TO ME IN CORNERS/BATTLES MAN!".
    A spotter on the other hand is a nice addition, especially since we sim racer tend to be visually impaired compared to real life drivers (due to being on 1 - 3 screens rather than in the car).

16. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Going through these steps my Crewchief is still too low. My sound mixer for RRE is down to 35% and I have started lowering RRE ingame settings now. Before this I had the ingame settings to below all 50% and below.

17. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    With the GSCE Spotter plugin you can turn off the er "spotter" chatter - stay high, stay low..., without the "Nascar Mode" enabled the spotter is mostly lap times, running position, brake temp message, etc.

18. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    What about warnings and penalties actually ? Mostly driving so clean that I didn't realize if this is announced too - because THEN I could go on Ultra Get Real :) and spare the pop up messages (pitwindow anyway, but cut-track warnings & penalties)

19. Gil Ritter

Gil Ritter Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    mr_belowski, I have to thank you so much. This tool adds so much atmosphere to the game, it is fantastic. And it gets better and better with each version. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Noticed that yesterday too, as i was driving my first online race with the Crew chief. Didn't knew that in that moment and was a little bit confused. :confused::D
    Just for interest ....... is it an App or API problem?

Edit: And as additional info ...... i was using v1.8.5

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015