Poll Do you use Simvibe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tuborg, Jun 23, 2015.

?

Do you use SimXperience Simvibe?

1. Yes, Chassis mode

32.8%
  2. Yes, Extensions mode

25.0%
  3. No

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    This is just another curious poll.
    But feel free to share your thoughts and experiences, pros and cons together with Raceroom Racing Experiences.

2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Use it in both modes.

Shakers (right/left) for chassis, 1 under the seat (extension seat), 1 under pedals (extension)

I find the chassis mod pretty good.
    The only thing negative I find is the gearbox effect to be too light

Otherwise I'm pretty happy, now I can hardly play without it!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    I absolutely love SimVibe. My first taste of transducers came prior to the SimVibe software using just a single BK Gamer with Gran Turismo. I loved it, but SimVibe took it to a whole new level even when I only had one transducer!
    Thanks to SimVibe my rig no longer rumbled with any and EVERY sound, mouse click, menu choice. lol

I have a big Ole BK Advance under my seat and love to really crank it up when driving an older muscle car or vintage open wheeler as I associate a bit of "do-ga-da-do-ga-da" with those cars haha
    And when you feel the RPM through your feet or the thump of a gear change, it's just one more sense getting involved in the whole "let's pretend granny is the next Simona DeSilvestro dream"! lol
    Bailey

PS, if you find an effect too light for your taste add it again to the profile, double up. You can then adjust two identical effects slightly different which is very nice for gear change and engine vibrations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. euphoreon

euphoreon New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but after the patch it hasn't felt so alive in RRE, not sure what's changed. Anyone else think the same?

5. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I have voted Yes for chassis mode, but it's more a future statement.:rolleyes:
    My Simvibe setup is still in building process. And i'm still looking for some good (and decoupled) mounting options for the shakers. But someday it will be ready.:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. FunkyChicken

FunkyChicken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    How have you set up the effect for the gearbox/shifting? Just once? If you stack three of them over another, each with slight different setting for the tone, you can make it quite brutal ;) I had do reduce the strength of the effects after a while as the shifting caused a headache...

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    I use both Chassis and Extensions.
    Left/right front and left/right rear in
    Chassis mode. Pedal, shifter and seat
    in Extensions mode.

It doesn't have to be expensive. I use
    cheap shakers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sine-Live-Bass-Pump-III-Ohm/dp/B0000WR4F2

Obviously not the best but they do the
    job. I feed them with a pair of old surrond
    amplifiers, Yamaha DSP A1 and DSP A2.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/dsp-a1_black__u/

They were expensive at the time they were new but really cheap today as they lack features like HDMI , WI-FI , USB , etc

Really heavy and cumbersome but they do work.

It's like FFB for your body. Once you have tried you do not want to be without.

However , it is part pottering before everything is in place and functioning.

But it's worth it!

8. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    I might agree. The wind effect doesn't work for me, anyone else?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I already had doubled it, didn't found the effect more powerful. Will try with a third one to see...

10. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I had a Buttkicker Gamer 2 mounted to my rig, driven by audio only. Though I liked the added feeling, I did not like the unit being activated by every little bit of noise, be it the public speaker, someone laughing, thunder and more. (Before anyone thinks I'm crazy, the thunder is present in PCars :) )

So I started thingking about installing Simvibe.
    Before I decided, both the Amp and the tactile unit gave up on me. The BKG2 showed some unnecessary and pretty loud rattling, even with minimum input and no clipping.
    A few months later the Amp started blowing its fuses. After sending the set back to Aerosoft, they confirmed both were defect and were valid for replacement under warranty.
    At this moment Guitammer is reworking the Amps as well as the tactile units and it coukd take a few months to get a replacemenf.
    Aerosoft agreed to send me the "Simulation Kit" in stead of the BKG2, but that is also not in stock. It features the Mini Concert and the same Amp as the BKG2.

So I did not vote yet, but as soon as get the new stuff, I am planning to get Simvibe too.
    Using it for only one unit under the seat, will it be worth it ?
    My guess would be yes, but since I have no possibility to try...Your thoughts are welcome...

11. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Simvibe is to expensive for me, so I have to use Wifevibe...:kissingheart:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Yes it worth it.
    I started with only one BK G2.. it was not only great, but it push me to add more shaker to enjoy the greatness of simvibe :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    is something that interests me a while ago , I have a amd fx 8350 8 core processor is compatible with the software simvibe ?
    on its website it says " intel highly recommended " so my doubt .

14. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Im using the same processor 8350 and simvibe works just fine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi

How many channels and how do you separate each channel for each transducer?

simvibe (5 channels for instance) ------> secondary 5.1 analog audio card ------> Amplifiers --------> 5 transducers

Can simvibe connect and separate the channels using optical link? or only with analog conectors?

thanks!

16. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    AFAIK you can't use 5.1, simvibe can only use 4 channel output.
    If you want to use extension and chassis mode together you'll need 2 soundcards, one for each (as I do)
    1 soundcards for chassis allow you 4 shakers (1 one each corner)
    In extension, you have 3 channels : seat, shifter, pedals.

I don't think you can output optical. But you may be able to use a CAN to pass the signal through optical cable and on the other end with CNA extract the analog signal

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0

To me it's a must primarily because I've used it and tweaked into something that really adds another effect to my senses.

Realizing that one could spend a little or a lot to get a SimVibe system going I'd say I'm in the lower middle. I only use 2 BKer's, a large/powerful Advance under my car seat and a Mini LFE near the pedals. You can go crazy, placing them in all corners etc. but this does the trick for me. Just as importantly, I use a good quality amp that is actually capable of driving them (Behringer iNuke)
    Not surprisingly, people try to use home theater amps not realizing that only the subwoofer channel would be applicable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had experience with less powerful amps and wasn't very impressed - in fact my senses didn't particularly take note of the vibration unless I was actively concentrating on it.
    Needless to say I think that some of the really weak transducers/amps could actually turn people away from SimVibe depending of course on where they mount them. Place them too far away from your person and it may be nothing more than a little hum when you hit a bump, I want to feel like I went over a bump or over-rev'd the engine or I'm just sit'n there "cam'n". lol
    Placement and power are important and some rig structures may require more to adequately transfer vibration.

I wanted to feel higher frequencies that one might associate with high rev's invading the cockpit as well as 'thumps' when taking far too much kerb. And I wanted to feel them with an intensity that you still notice after racing a while and being completely preoccupied with your driving.
    With this and the feedback from my wheel I noticed something... I tend to clinch when I know I'm going to hit a bad kerb. Yes, that has probably slowed me down a little bit as I get physically punished for moving the apex, lol.

So I wholeheartedly recommend SimVibe but with the understanding that placement and power can have a great effect on one's opinion of how immersive it is.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I started with the BK Gamer 1 when it was first released and at that time it was a good starting point but slowly I added new pieces until I had what I felt was a good immersive effect that is now a must for my rig.

Well that's my two cents anyway (no refunds, lol)
    Bailey

• Like Like x 1
  18. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    So like this:

simvibe .jpg

In this scenario, all transducers should be either 2 or 4 ohms per channel, correct?

19. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Yep like this

Bass shaker are often 4ohm, so yeah you'll need amps that can drive them.

On my rig I went for a car audio subwoofer amp.
    It can output 1000W over 4 channels @ 4ohms. It's more than enough for the shakers I have (250W RMS each, 100W normalised.. Like a buttkicker mini lfe)
    The tricky part is to find a power supply for the amp. It can be expensive too find a good power supply that can output such power over a single 12V.
    I found a pc atx power supply that can output 42A on a single 12V rail. It gave only 550W max, but it enough to make my rig shake like hell ^_^

20. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    What? That's much more expensive :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1