POLL: Ovals and asymetric setups? Read first!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tuborg, May 20, 2017.

?

Would you like to see ovals and asymetric setups in raceroom?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes, but it's not important.

4. No, ovals doesn't belong in raceroom.

5. Something else, I explain.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Would you like to see ovals and asymetric setups in raceroom?

Your vote is secret!
    You can Not change your vote!
    e03ac5317860f48418efd9d57cd690f7.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. TFalk

TFalk Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    If nothing else, offer the Indianapolis Speedway!
    From a marketing perspective it would appear foolish not too especially with all of the attention surrounding Alonso entereung the 500 this year.
    Also, it would seem that most of the hard work is already done!
    Any plans to offer the Indianapolis "Speedway" track???

3. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Why is the vote secret? This is 2017 and oval-haters shouldn't hide anymore!
    I'm here, I hate ovals, get used to it! :p

Seriously though, AI and contact physics would surely need work done to support ovals. I suspect it wouldn't be a simple implementation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  4. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    For a virtual NASCAR Cup driver over many years, there is no question: YES!!!

At least we need all famous oval tracks and setup options like in NR4 / NR2002 / NR2003 (iRacing predecessor):

Tracks:
    Bristol,
    Charlotte,
    Daytona,
    Indianapolis,
    Michigan,
    Pocono,
    Talladega

Setup:

5. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't want S3 to go out and spend time and money on licensing new Speedway circuits, but I would welcome speedway layouts for existing tracks, like Lausitz and Indianapolis.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    More people "dare" vote.

7. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Well i'm not that enthusiastic to ovals but that's because I've never driven on ovals. Maybe it's a blast to drive on ovals?

It has already been mentioned, there is a couple of ovals in R3E more or less ready (?) to race. There is some licence work and "some" work on asymetric setups.

But the most time consuming (i guess) is something that people never seem to be satisfied with: "they are to fast", "they are to slow", "they are to aggressiv", "they bump in to me"... and so on.

I am talking about the AI. I guess it wouldn't be a that much work if they did ovals a online thing only.

I think that would drag more people online.

8. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    not a big fan of ovals but a fan of variety so a definite yes for me.I think it would do good to the game to attract the left goers and I dont believe they would only drive on ovals.But to have fun and not anger quit on a slight tap that sent u to the wall I think collision physics should be addressed first especially door to door.

9. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    There was a oval track in Race 07, and have also done some races on ovals in iRacing.
    It can be fun in small doses, and as said, it would add to the variety, and might also bring more players.
    And I'm not sure it would be so much of a AI issue, mostly it's the tight turns that the AI can have some struggle with.

10. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    At least that was the reason given by SMS why ovals did not come to Project Cars - they did not manage to adapt AI accordingly.
    I for one can do pretty well without ovals. I'd rather see more "classic" tracks instead

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Considering how the AI works and how contact physics work, that is a solid NO. As much as I like oval racing, I prefer normal racing and considering the experience I had with rFactor 2... Let's just say it's a delicate issue...

Anyway, consider this: rFactor 2 got out of beta still in beta. Tons of features were missing, some needed fixing and lo and behold, devs announce oval racing and spend long months to satisfy the few excited about it. Long story short, oval in RF2 suck and the sim is still a beta.

Here are the priorities:
    - fix collision physics
    - improve the AI
    - add tires!
    - add a proper career mode
    - work on the online rating system
    - add pit crews
    - add night racing
    - add weather
    - add dynamic tracks
    - improve the damage model
    I could go on.
    To sum up, there are more important things to add into R3E to improve the experience than bother with ovals. And why ovals? How about togue? Maybe rally cross? Hell, if we are talking wishlist, why not car upgrades, team management, money for parts and repairs? There is a million features that could make this sim better and more interesting and as much as I like racing in circles and V8 cars, I'd rather have anything out of the above.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I voted "doesn't belong". Not a fan of oval racing myself. I find it intensely dull and wouldn't purchase any oval content if it became available in R3E.

From a more objective standpoint, to do oval racing justice would be like creating a new game within R3E and I just don't see how Sector3 has the resources for that. Sector3 (like Simbin before them) have built a solid reputation for producing great touring and sports car content and I would quite like Raceroom to retain that focus.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
  14. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Pretty much this (although I personally do enjoy oval-racing).
    Oval-racing is a very specific category that needs special set-ups, AI and what-not.
    I'd much rather have S3 focus on what they do oh-so-very-well.
    Besides, if S3 came out and said e.g. the AMG was going to be delayed because resources were being allocated to ovals instead, I'm pretty sure we'd have a popular uprising on our hands, pitchforks and everything. :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Macaquinho

Macaquinho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +219 / 0 / -0
    Nope, thanks... :)
    But would love to see the GT Version of Daytona Speedway in Raceroom.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    The thing is that this is your priorities and depending on who you ask this list will look different. For me personally all work on AI is a wast of time, because I never drive against AI, no matter how good they become. They are not real.

So while the devs spend a huge amount of time on creating artificiell opponents for you, other stuff have to wait.

But for some the AI is very important. I just have to accept their priorities :)

17. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Torn on this one.

I like Oval racing but:
    I don't understand it.
    I really don't get the setups, and they are apparently really important.
    I'm not very good at it (see above)
    I like it best when there is a crash and (car) body parts are flying.
    iRacing has it, but for a road racer like me, it is really expensive for a track with 2 corners. And you need a lot of them.

So.....

I satisfy my occasional urge by playing RF2. It's not very good, but it's OK for me.

S3 seem to think that it is the AI that is the problem (and maybe the Asymmetry thing), and I am happy to believe them. If they are not passionate about working on Ovals, I would rather they didn't.

But if they wanted to produce a 'tech track' Oval or two for Johnny Turbo Guttman to race online with, that would be great. I'd give it a go.
    Just don't try to implement AI ! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Haha...:) Ovals are not important to me @Mr_Mints_Taboo and that is what i voted for.

But I must say that the outcome of the poll so far is a surprise.

19. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    That's the nature of polls recently.
    About as accurate as a willy ruler.

20. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    But oval lovers should hide all 3 of their teeth and dirty mullets....

Just kidding :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1