Problem Poor Optimisation

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by leon_90, May 2, 2015.

1. leon_90

leon_90 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Hi lads,

just bought for my birthday R3E DTM Experience 2013 pack thanks to Humble Bundle Racing Weekend sales. I really like and enjoy this sim, and I was already planning to add some more content (historical, as you may understand by my avatar :D ) to my installation. But something stopped me. I tried a race with a full grid of DTM 2013 cars at Nurburgring GP and my framerate is horrible to say the least. My system spec you may ask, here you go:

-GeForce GTX 970(Asus Strix) OverClocked @1463 (Max Boost Clock) - 7.7 ghz (Memory Clock)
    -Intel(R) Core(TM) CPU i5 3570k @ 4.2 GHz (OC)
    -16GB RAM; 2x 8gb CORSAIR XMS3 1600 MHZ CL11 @2000 (OC)
    -ASUS P8Z77 V-LX2
    -ASUS XONAR DSX

-MS Windows 8.1 64 bit Pro
    -Thrustmaster GPX Lightback (Ferrari Edition) Controller

Afterburner shows me, as you can see by the picture attached, that my GPU usage hovers between 44-50% (the second percentage, the first one after the GPU clock is the TDP percentage ;) ).
    R3R.jpg
    My ingame settings are simply maxed out, except for Corners Markers and FXAA disabled at 2560x1440p resolution.
    Now, don't tell me "try this, try that". I don't want to fiddle with graphics settings when my GPU is not even used at 100%. Don't tell me "your overclock isn't stable" because I know what I am doing first, and second my games apart from the poorly optimized one run 60 fps rock solid.
    This is simply an optimisation problem, no fault in my system or in my settings, full stop. So, @Sector3 in conclusion, I really enjoy your sim and I can drive almost flawlessly at Get Real level thanks to some really good controller custom settings! (only the throttle is a pain, something that you should consider for us gamepad users: let us tweak digital input as GSCE does, that way brakes and throttle which are "all or nothing" right now could be more sensible)
    But this really puts a stop and put aside on the shelve for me until it gets fixed ;)
    Have a good weekend :)

2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Try turning down the reflection detail. Or not, if you don't want it to run smoothly...

3. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    @mr_belowski I'd have said the split-shadows are more of a drain, actually, shadows in general, turn them all off for a smooth experience, they are being worked on as far as I'm aware but they are effecting a lot of people.

4. leon_90

leon_90 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Thank you @mr_belowski and @Ronin_GTDave for your help :) :) As I said, however, I don't want to spend time on fixing this while my GPU horsepower is not even half used. I'm sorry but I don't. I can technically run the game with current settings if only was better optimised :( anyway, thank you!

5. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    yeah at the moment shadows seem to be causing issues for a lot of (but not all) people
    it is just part of the deal with early access and beta games but we know they are working on it

6. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well, all said then. Just wait for the optimization and don`t enjoy DTME 2013....seems you are cool enough to endure that like a real man :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    It's probably your CPU struggling, not the gfx card, hence the suggestions to tweak the settings a bit

8. leon_90

leon_90 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    It's just a game man ;) nothing you can't live without. Besides, I am confident they will sort it out

@mr_belowski now that you mention it, I did not check my cpu usage ;) I will and report back

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    My system is not nearly as quick as yours I rarely drop below 60fps even in heavy traffic during multiplayer. Has to be a setting causing the low frames. R3E runs better on my system than rF2 and AC.

10. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I have a solid system and I get massive drops now...use to not.

I use to run max settings np, now I have problems.

11. leon_90

leon_90 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Ok I did some testing and after that I quit R3R to check on CPU Usage. Max for all cores is 92%, so CPU is not a bottleneck. While it is heavily used, it never reached 100%. Not once

R3E CPU.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  12. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    92% may be considered high. Even though you have 8% unused, the application may not use a 100% of the cpu power available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. leon_90

leon_90 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    It could be, if the exe is meant to work that way. Seems strange however in all sincerity, but it could be

14. Lost77

Lost77 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    The game does not use more than 30% of my i7 4790k, not more than 30% of my 2x8 go hyper x (nothing overclocked) and I have constant 60 fps with high settings (had more before). Still this game "behaves" strangely with many computers.

15. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I have used MSI and GIGABYTE monitoring software in the past and they gave some game real problems. Especially the auto overclock stuff. Have you tried the game with all this stuff disabled?

16. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    There may be something to this...

17. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    R3E is the best optimized sim out there. ALL games need graphic tweaks. TBH, I don't see the point of your post. Do you want an exclusive from R3E to fix the game for your system? :rolleyes:

18. leon_90

leon_90 Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Yes I do, and I want them to build a pyramid in my honor a hundred foot high.

Anyway, for those less sarcastic than Emerson, I fixed it and sorry if I forgot to report :oops: I lowered contact shadows to 16, disabled track split but what did the most was lowering lod for cars to medium. They have apparently same quality than before. Everything has same quality than before, even shadows, and I get 60 fps rock solid in all circumstances ;) W&W

• Like Like x 2
  19. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    thanks for report and great that it is running now... i'm sure that there will be a lot of optimization in future updates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, great that you have it running smoothly now @leon_90 but I do find it completely bizarre that a machine as powerful as yours still struggles with everything set to high while others with lesser machines don't have an issue at the same settings, even I with my comparatively ancient system still get a perfectly smooth experience with a couple of things set to high (Track texture, shaders) and a couple on medium (car texture and something I forget).

I'm sure that S3S will get things sorted though #InS3SWeTrust! :D