Possible Roadmap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RacingSym, Oct 4, 2017.

1. RacingSym

RacingSym Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Greatings
    Maybee iam blind. But i cant find and Kind of Dev Block or Roadmap. If there is just non. Would it be possible to talk to us? It would be great to know what they want to achive, develop in the next two years. How looks the planning for R3E after the GT 3 release. All i cant find are rumers. How does Sector 3 react after PC2 or the dx11 update for rF2. There is soo liddle what we get on informations. Yea close to release they whissle a bit to us. I know S3 is a small company, so stuff isnt that easy like for the Big ones. But as a ex EvE Gamer, i know the diffrence. Ccp is part of the community, that makes everythink more greater. And bind both more together.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. schielchen

schielchen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    No, you're not blind

3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The plan to deliver a fully fleshed out ranked multiplayer system has been talked about in the past and is still one of the main targets for the foreseeable future, afaik.

There's also quite a bunch of smaller and bigger surprises cooking in the background. But as a very vocal portion of this forum's userbase repeatedly voiced their dismay regarding announcements that are not followed up by a timely release, I think S3 have become a bit reluctant to spread the word before the things they're working on are nearing finalisation.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. schielchen

schielchen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    @Christian Göpfert
    Most of those complaining about the absence of a roadmap would be satisfied with a list of things to come, I guess.
    A rough estimation would suffice and as plans change, the list changes.
    Sort of an answer to the question if this game will ever deliver the things your customers expect; And that list alone would be extensive. It'll probably be larger than the list of things to come, but that is to be expected.
    I'm not accusing anyone, but your policy leaves too much in the dark, which might lead to unwanted reactions.
    I'd hate to leave this game and it's community, but as long as the future is unsure, I'll be careful from now on.
    Not even the Porsches will change my mind, for I don't know if I can drive them in a game that I will love to play in a year or two.
    The game itself is so slow in making progress. That surely has it's reason in things you are working on.
    It all comes down to:
    Why don't you let us know?
    Kind regards und schöne Grüße von der Mosel
    :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  5. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    What's unsure about the future? Genuinely curious on your thought about this.

As for sharing a roadmap... The devs have mentioned a plethora of stuff they would like to add to the game, and have even gone as far as outright saying they are working on specific features. However, people seem to have a bit of a short attention span at times and think this means the feature will be released within a month.

Some things just take ages to work on though. The whole MP ranked system isnt forgotten, it's still being developed. Mutliclass racing in single player hasnt been forgotten, it's still being worked on but systems need to be in place to handle how different classes interact, as well as how race results function. Triple screen support is being developed. 64 bit build is being developed, which will finally allow us to utilize more than 4GB of RAM, thus making big grid races more enjoyable from a (hopeful) performance boost. Not to mention the 'big one' with the switch to UE4 that is very tentatively coming sometime next year perhaps.

These and a lot more have all been mentioned here on the forum. Just check out some of the dev profiles and check their past posts if you need some further insight :)

As Christian also mentioned above though, sometimes sharing a detailed roadmap with dates and times isnt always in the best interest of everyone. As there will often be backlash if a date is pushed back, or a feature gets shelved because priorities change.

Im always in favor of dev streams though. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    First of all, thanks for your greetings. Sadly I can't compete with the scenic Mosel so all I can return are greetings from the boring Main. ;)

I get your point and one part of me agrees that having a rough outline written down somewhere would be a handy tool because not everybody wants to scan through developers postings to filter out the info they're interested in.
    I just think that at the end of the day that could as well cause frustration cause as you said those plans can and do change and things that are planned have to get canned for one reason or the other. And if sb was looking for a very specific feature or piece of content they can end up being disappointed that that thing was "promised" to come but had to be canceled.

Nate mentioned the addition of a 64 bit architecture, which doesn't sound like a huge thing but it will solve a handful of issues in one big step. J-F also confirmed triple screen support recently which is highly anticipated by a number of people.

So for the time being the best resources for plans and upcoming things are interviews like this one: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/raceroom-racing-experience-interview.131852/
    and/or dev streams.
    I encourage everyone to check out Georg's streams here: https://www.youtube.com/user/6e66o/ (I think he's usually streaming on Sundays). He's always sharing some insights into what's going on during those.

But I know it's the same thing as with the dev postings, we can't expect people to sit through 3 hr videos to get some snippets of info, some condensed form would be great. Sadly they haven't found the time to do another office dev stream so far, but to be fair I know for a fact that they are actually really busy behind the scenes and I hope they'll do another one once the bigger surprises are ready for the public. I know J-F can't wait to get back infront of a live camera. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  7. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    You may thank the vocal users, like our very own ice diva, who do not get tired of bashing the devs for not releasing announced stuff in time. So they are in the wonderful position of one part complaining about timelines not being met and others complaining about no timelines given. The latter are the more peaceful ones, so I guess that's why we don't see an official road map.

Nevertheless - when reading the forum and watching the occasional dev streams, you'd know that a bunch was announced. The ranked MP system was already mentioned. There are several GT3 cars incoming, GT4 class was mentioned (KTM X-Bow GT4 is set and it is safe to assume the Porsche Cayman GT4 will be one of them), iirc 9 Porsches have been mentioned (the first one being the Cup car) and during the release of the Swedish tracks there were also hints about "lower" touring cars.

To me that looks like a bright future (and I have a certain feeling there is more behind the scenes that we can look forward to).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    As we've learned, the influence of the publisher on the planed roadmap is quite big due to demands from partners. So a release of an official roadmap would be something like hit & miss.

But maybe it doesn't need a real roadmap.
    Maybe just a closed but regulary updated topic from one of the Dev's with an announcedment of the Key-Topics that the team is currently working might do the job, too?!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  9. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Implementation of one small, seemingly insignificant feature can throw a spanner in the works and wreck something else, I bet S3 have a bunch of features that have had hours spent on them, only to be shelved through unwanted side effects, more pressing items, bug fixing previous patches, not to mention having to release content to generate income and on top of all that, this has all been achieved from the smouldering wreck of the initial release and the restructuring into S3.
    I honestly believe that you've had to be in it from the start to appreciate the advancements made and direction being taken to be able to sit back and let S3 roll out the goods, when ready, I'll do the hours of thrashing it around a track from there on!
    When it's ready, it's ready, until then it doesn't exist. If you want a road map buy an atlas!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    A sensible move when you consider the announcement-to-release timescales recently. Take the eagerly anticipated "new" generation of GT3 cars: it's been a year since the Callaway Corvette was announced and a little longer since the Audi R8 and Mercedes AMG were revealed. While it's great to know these cars will eventually come to Raceroom, over twelve months of being patient is, well, testing my patience!

There needs to be some middle ground between creating a bit of hype for new releases and not pissing people off when, over a year later, the content they're looking forward to is still on the drawing board.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Imho a full roadmap is not really relevant because as I see with Studio 397, Reiza and Kunos it never really goes further than upcoming (expected) release or month. And as almost always plans shifts due to unexpected issues or more important issues which require more resources which leads up to delay.

Though that said, it would be nice if the dev’s would made a kind of public list of by the userbase desired functions and which of them are in development with a rough timescale and things which are on the wishlist but currently not in development. As for “regular” content, I really prefer the “Sepang” release style. No hype ‘till right before release. I think both things would contribute to less dissapointment and less cringing by some... ;):D

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Everything. Simply everything. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Sadly I can't give two agree votings, otherwise I would have. ;)

However, once these cars are released this whole GT3 jumble will make perfect sense, trust me. I know I'm the broken record here, but the reasons are understandable and the outcome will definitely make up for the limbo everybody's been kept in with those announcements.

• Like Like x 3
  14. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    New physics? Please tell me this is about the supposed new physics that have been hinted here and there over the last few days... I neeeeeeed to knoooooww!! :eek:

I'm not really in a hurry about the new graphics engine (in fact I'm a little bit worried that using UE4 the game might lose a bit of it's current visual identity that I like so much), and the ranked multiplayer system doesn't excite me either since I mostly play single player... but the idea of new physics has me now reading this damn forum every day looking for any new hint or random piece of info. Can't wait! :)

15. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    That „limbo“ doesn‘t happen to be a tiny typo? ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Guess I have to respond now, otherwise my silence will look like a confirmation of sth I didn't really have in mind. :)

Physics development has been ongoing since day one, meaning later releases always represented an evolution of previous models. So I guess it's safe to assume that this process will continue but I'm not sure it would be justified to call that "new" physics...

Just have a bit more patience and you'll find out about the goodies they are working on. ;)

Typo? https://www.dict.cc/?s=limbo
    Of course I meant limbo as in "abeyance" and totally not the biblical pre-hell sorta deal. ^^

EDIT: It took so long for me to even realise what you're aiming for with that comment (which should be proof that the word "Lambo" bears no significant meaning regarding RR for me ;) ).

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  17. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    It was worth a try - could have worked ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure it will.

It always does.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Hey what's wrong with you and the Main??? ;):)

PS: glad and proud to hijack this thread :D:cool::p

20. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Fair enough :)

I'm mostly going by the fact that J-F mentioned a "major upgrade of our model for the GT3" on Racedepartment forums, and also by the things Paul Jeffrey said in the RR Porsche preview video... it sounded like most of my niggles with RR physics were nowhere to find on that car, which is great if true :)

• Winner Winner x 1