Resolved Problem with very low framerate

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by a_m_larsson, Jul 17, 2015.

1. a_m_larsson

a_m_larsson Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I play Race07 a lot, but consider moving to Raceroom. But sadly the game runs very bad on my computer. And it seems like it runs worse for every update. The first versions were ok, I think.

Specs:
    Intel Core i7 2,67GHz
    6GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    Windows 8.1

When running the game at medium detail level and as low resolution as possible, as far as I can see CPU load is about 30%, there is lots of free RAM and the GPU load is not over 40%. Also, a race takes really long time to load. Does anyone else have similar problems with the game? I know my computer is old, but I can't see what is slowing the game down that much. Greateful for help :)

2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    can you show your ingame-settings?

3. a_m_larsson

a_m_larsson Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply :)
    Resolution 1280x720, vsync and fullscreen on. Everything else set to low or off (looks awful ;) ).
    Had a test run at Suzuka today. At the start the framerate was ok except for the start, but after a few laps it went down. So sadly the game is quite useless for me :(

4. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Switch off vsync. That will make a huge difference in frame rates. I went from 25 to 30 fps to 45 to 70 fps. And I'm running pretty much the slowest system you can run with.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  5. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Switching off vsync doesn´t "give" you FPS.
    Vsync limits your FPS to the value of your monitor refresh rate.

With vsync off the FPS will just oscillate freely, causing in most cases tearing.

Your system should be able to run the game better than that.

What are your nvidia settings?

6. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    That what everyone keeps saying. But I had everything set on low as well and video still ran slow. That was the last thing to try. Now I'm running clean graphics with no tearing or stuttering. At least that's my experience.

7. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    yeah - somehow the ingame V-Sync seems to cost some frames in comparison to the Driver-V-Sync. So switching that of can help.

But something different seems to be wrong. Is there any other Program running in the background? Shadowplay or MSI Afterburner for example?
    Maybe have a look in your Taskmanager an close every Program that is not really needed for RaceRoom.

• Like Like x 1
  8. opelman

opelman Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Can u tell what is you'r fps?

9. a_m_larsson

a_m_larsson Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have found the problem now, and it was a silly one. When playing the game the computer suddenly turned itself of, because it was overheated :oops:. So a cleaning and some new cooling paste did the trick, and now it runs well again. Silly me, hadn't noticed before, I guess Race07 doesn't need that much cpu power :oops:. Thanks for your help and sugestions:)

10. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Glad you found the issue. I guess your CPU was throttling back due to overheating? Sounds like you have an i7 920, the same CPU I have. If you find yourself CPU bound in future, mine seems most taxed when running a full grid of AI drivers, the 920 is a pretty good overclocker,particularly if it is the D0 stepping. You can check that in CPUID. With even a decent air cooler, a D0 should overclock stably to at least 3.5ghz, though be aware of the risks if you get an overclock wrong.
    Personally mine is sat at stock clocks for now since it runs most games well for now

• Like Like x 1
  11. a_m_larsson

a_m_larsson Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it is the 950. I might test clocking it in the future :)