Punctures!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sdemonnz, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Sdemonnz

Sdemonnz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Good to see Sector 3 adding this feature to Raceroom...could this be the start of a more indepth "mechanical failure" feature?

My question here is - could this be implemented as a "random failure" where tyres could suffer a puncture for track cutting or contact with other vehicles rather than the current need to wear your tyres out to RED before any risk of a puncture. I know many racers would not like this to be implemented - I get a puncture = race over.

However personally I like the thought of something largely out of my control happening to the car being there....I'm not saying that everytime you run of the track/collide you get a puncture - just that there is a risk!
    This could be added as a switchable damage option, so if you don't want it - turn it off.

Real life racing suffers from random punctures - should it be an option in Raceroom?
    Open for debate - lets see some thoughts on this suggestion.

Chris

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    I sure believe "punctures by contact" could be added. Happens all too often a car is limping back to pits cause of a close encounter with another car.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I agree Chris some kind of random option would be good

• Like Like x 2
  4. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Being a virtual world, some concessions need to be made....maybe, a car attempting an unsafe pass (read - hitting the car in front of them), would get a puncture first as well.

It's one thing to get along side a car and take the inside racing line coming into a corner. It's another thing when a driver pounces on a gap (that really isn't there), the split second the car in front is trying to turn in and using you as a brake.

I think that might help encourage "cleaner" driving?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Clapper

Clapper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    @Andy Blade was telling me about an idea that the more your tire wears, the chance of a puncture increases -- I thought it was a good idea.

White = 0%
    Yellow = 5-10%?
    Orange = 30%?
    Red = 60%?
    No tread = 80%?

These are just examples. We don't want punctures ALL the time, but maybe someone might pit on orange rather than run the tire down to the cords. If mechanical damage is OFF, then of course no punctures.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I also thought of percentage scale from yellow - orange with red highest chance ? Option in dedicated to turn on this function ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    I agree with most of the the above %s above I think it should have a higher number once you get into the red outline box. This may be in the realms of fantasy but would it be possible to add in a random factor for continually dropping wheels over the inside edge of a kerb where the edges tend to be a bit jagged?

Edit: Just noticed that the OP said almost the same thing about kerbs