Qualifying in multiclass

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raaf, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I joined a few races on an open server with many classes: DTM, GT1, GT3, F4 and some.

During the Qualifying session a DTM driver started to complain that slower cars should give way, and although it wasn't directed at me (but I was driving a GT3 car), I wondered about the rules during qualifying in this situation.

I think it is the responsibility of the faster drivers to find their run without too much traffic, and while the slower cars should allow the faster cars to pass along without too much problems, I don't think they have to give up their racing line.

(but because it was an open server, there were many faster driver who solved their problems by just bumping the slower cars off track).

2. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    For that event they should have set qualifying to private imo

3. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I think this is the proper method to doing that.

Generally, the faster cars need to find their way around the slower cars. However, while the slower cars can stay on the racing line, they should not attempt to block if there is a faster car trying to pass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    most modern series seperate the classes when qualifying , so either you do a private quali ... or you do what the next best thing is , if you have a 10 minute session for each class to quali , set the quali session to however many classes you have x10 minutes and run ts with a race controller , so start with the fastest class and work your way down the list ... just like real life

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    My approach to qualifying, even multiclass qualifying, is always that IF you are on a current hotlap that could or is faster than your current best then you have every right to the racing line. Doesn't matter how fast the person behind you is or how slow you are, if your lap is valid and better, stay in it. HOWEVER, the instant your lap is invalid (coming out of the pits for example) you should give way to anyone and everyone who IS on a valid lap. One of the most infuriating things in qualifying is when someone comes out of the pits and ruins multiple people's laps during their out lap. Equally annoying are the people who think that just because they are fast they are entitled to all of the road all of the time.

Basically it all boils down to: don't be a jerk, pay attention and be nice when you're not on a valid lap, and you don't own the road just because you're fast :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    This, all of it, 100%

7. Caledonian Wolf

Caledonian Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Sounds fairly sensible to me.

8. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Separate classes in quali, its the only method that makes sense. Blue flag rules can regulate races only, but they really could turn qualis into a mess.

In race, the car in lead has the right of idela line, and keeping to it. Only when the car behind is tehchjcially clearly faster and superior, a blue flag shopud be given. Or when the car in ead in a duel is already one lap behind the car behind, means: its an overlapping situation.

However, always: drivers in secojd car should not expect the car they overtake must necessarily jump onto the pakring lane or stop on the sideline immediately when they see an opponent cathcing up in their rear mirror. Car in lead has the right - and it is the reaosnable thing to do - to keep the line in a difficult passdage, delaying overtaking to a passage that is less risky for both cars. When i did online, and somebodxy wanted to ovwertake me, I let him pass soner or later, but not in the middle of esses or tight turns - but on the straighter passages following them. If second car driver is to impatient and tries to enbforce overtrakiung already in problematic passages and then needs to rasdically break and spin off the track, or worsE hits the car in lead, then it is all the fault of car driver 2, and him alone. The car driver behind has the responsibility to make sure he picks his attacks reasonably and in a safe fashion.

Multiplayer, also, consider that it is just computer, wioth all the situaitonal awareness limitations that this brings. Allow room for human error. Study the car in front, how it behaves, whwether it drives in full co9ntrol or makes gives the imporesison fo the driver just so keeping in control. Allow space for lags and warpings. And fionally: allow space for human error: the other guy may chose different brekaign po9jnts than you do, may oick other lines, or just is not as great and flawless and fanmastci than you without doubt are. ;) :D

Never expect the other to drive with all perfection, and never assume you drive perfectly yourself either. I stick with a principle form reality: the driver of the car slamming into the rear of the car ahead, is guilty. Always. I recommend to imply this principle to MP racing as well.

Anticipate situations developing ahead of you, be ahead of events unfolding. I you see dust ahead, or cars colliding, do not try to break thrpogh with full gas, but get off the pedal and increase steering control: slow down.

People want to enforce things too easily, too early, too often, want to go with their heads through the wall. This goes not well with MP.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016