Question about GT3 class physics (and probably every other car as well)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spyshagg, Jan 22, 2018.

1. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Going furiously on the green hell's first long straight, the Quiddelbacher-Höhe, followed by the flat out jump @ Flugplatz, everything feels right, until the very next right corner, which is the fastest corner in the entire track.

Here two things happened. The realization you can make this corner without lifting off, followed by the contemplating afterthought - "did I flicked the car to initiate oversteer, and forced a 4 wheel drift to stay between lines while actually gaining time? yes, yes I did."

I have not driven any fast car in real life, specially a GT3 in nords, and I understand the fear factor is removed from simulations (even in VR). But the car
    behavior at that exact spot does not feel right. It feels, "lenient", "permissível", "politely forgiving". My next thought was "Why haven't I done this corner this way before?". Its probably because I never driven R3E in VR before but thats another story. The point is that the very next thing I did was to tackle other corners accordingly, witnessing the same "leniency" happen, and go back to Assetto try the same, and smell the odor of burning grass and sand en-route to the barrier.

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone else felt the same? That the physics are somewhat forgiving at the limit?

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    RRE has a better tire model and that is what you are feeling. I've driven a dozen good sports cars in the last 20 years and more of them feel like RRE to me than AC. Even my Mazda 3 with low profile sport tires that I drive to work every day has double the feel at the limit when compared to AC.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    first question, how fast are you? if you drive 10-20 second under the top time of the leaderboard, you are not at the limit. if you are not at the limit the car is forgiving, yes. an it is... ahem correct?
    second question, why don't you try to ask yourself why assetto corsa has so stupid (imho scripted a lot of time) behaviour also if you are not at the limit? why sim racers drivers thinks that only cars which smashes left and right are simulated in a right way? why i never see race cars in real life smashing left and right? why i see also gentleman drivers driving a race car without problems?
    third, and this is not a question, some days ago i was so lucky to race with a gt3 driver (well known in motorsport) and he told us a lot how well gt3s are done in raceroom. one of the happiest moment in my simracer life, for sure.

ac is a good peace of software, raceroom is a good piece of software. enjoy what you prefer.

but i think it's time to understand that race car and race tyres are done to have the best grip. what is strange is to lose the grip easily.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    The fastest corner on the track is actually Schwedenkreuz. The fast left hander before the braking zone into Aremberg, which is before the iconic Yokohama bridge. The fast right at flugplatz is ~220 kmh in a GT3 car, whereas Schwedenkreuz is 250+.

You should be able to take this flat out in any sim :p

If you dont, you arent going fast enough.

5. MrBones22

MrBones22 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    In my experience most racing "sims" are far too punishing at the "limit", to the point where the instant you lose some grip you are spinning wildly off the track (Rfactor, Pcars 1, some cars in AC), which if you've experienced in real life it's not the case. Even The Stig (aka: Ben Collins) said that exact same thing recently in a video discussing PCars 2, stating "...A lot of sim racers are quite used to cars that, if you go over the limit, you spin off and hit the wall. If that was the case I'd have been killed a long time ago on the track....." thus confirming my feeling on the matter. I think it's funny/maddening how many people equate this type of slide-off handling as a "real sim", and claim anything more drivable as "simcade", when it is not very close to reality.

Collins interview, comments on grip levels in sims at 5 min 55 seconds in:

I feel like R3E is one of the best with regard to this, and sometimes I wonder if others just give you a crap base setup for cars, requiring so much setup to be drivable, that it makes me question their physics, or motives lol.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  6. MrBones22

MrBones22 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Out of curiosity I just did a test of the corner in question (the right hander coming into Flugplatz) In both RR and AC. First in RR: I wasn't able to make the corner without lifting just a touch in the Mercedes SLS AMG GT3, even with a few tweaks to the setup. Then I jumped into the McLaren 650s GT3, and with a small setup tweak I made the right hander without lifting, and also the left hand bend exiting the Flugplatz (Schwedenkruez, Which is just as difficult to take without lifting IMO).

So Then I fired Up Assetto Corsa, and hit the Nordschleife in the McLaren 650s GT3. And I was just as easily able to take the corners (Flugplatz, and Schwedenkreuz) without lifting, first with soft tires...then with Medium tires with a softer front roll bar and another small tweak or two...so that's that :D.

Jumping from RaceRoom to AC makes AC seem so bland...the sound of course, but the force feedback feels much more numb in AC, maybe I need to tweak the settings a bit. Also, the amount of steering rotation needed was pretty different between the two, I felt like I was driving boat with the amount of steering input needed for the 650s in AC. Anyhow, both are good, but of course, different.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  7. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    In AC the wheel rotation setting does not work for me with g27. I have to use the logitech software and manually set rotation to match the car i'm driving (or whatever rotation I feel works best). Maybe it's something similar to you. As for FFB I think AC has more detail but I think raceroom delivers a more realistic FFB.

8. MrBones22

MrBones22 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Gotcha, I got the FFB feeling good, but it's just in the first few degrees of turning, on straights and stuff it feels loose...

I tried a few more cars in AC, and was able to make this corner without lifting in the Z4 GT3, AMG GT3, R8 LMS Ultra, GTR GT3, 488 GT3 with a few setup changes to each, a couple of them made the turn very comfortably. The only car I tried that I couldn't hit the Flugplatz corner flat out was the Huracan GT3, it required me to lift slightly, no matter what my setup was. So if your not going flat out through there, (or very close to it) in a gt3 car in AC, your setup could probably be much better.

I think most of the problem is in the default setups, in AC they are not as consistently drivable as most of the RaceRoom default setups, which makes all the difference in the first impressions of a car. Pcars1 was the worst offender, in which most cars had a base setup that was so loose it was ridiculous, and if you don't know much about setup you were stuck tiptoeing around the track.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018