Question for the experts (Monitor related)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dave R, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I have triple screens right now but need some room on my desk. I'm considering exchanging the triples (5040x1060) for this
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-29-i...=4922000&productCategoryId=pcmcat200900050015

Will most games do 2560 x 1080 resolution at 75Hz? (R3E, Assetto, iRacing,)

I plan on keeping a single monitor (up top) for work stuff and for dashboard type programs. The main draw for this is not only for space, but I'd like to be able to play FM and Motorsports Manager on a bigger screen with no bezels to get in the way.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  2. FCV

FCV New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a 29 " 2560x1080 75hz and it is fine for sims but i would consider Vr at this point

3. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    VR is out of the question for me. Tried it at a friend's house and it made me super sick.

4. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I think @Ronin_GTDave might actually have that same monitor. Maybe he could chime in.

Otherwise, dont have an answer for your question, but just a secondary thought. If you were able to play with a decent frame rate on triple monitors... switching back to one (even if its an ultrawide) should net you a lot extra performance, allowing you to crank up some of the settings you may have needed to turn down to achieve a solid frame rate for your triples.

Dont know what the performance was like in R3E for triples, but some other games are fairly demanding, so some more eye candy may be a nice consolation for less horizontal viewing space.

Also, nice to see you back around here a bit more again ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Billy Strange from ISRTV uses a 21:9 setup so have a watch at some of his test drives to see if it's up your alley? I'm thinking a 21:9 paired with an EDtracker/Trackhat/TrackIR would be a great combo.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    @Dave R Hello.
    I have the smaller version of that monitor (25") but it's still 2560x1080, R3E runs very well on it, not entirely sure it looks correct or that you see any more than you do at 1920x1080 (I can't remember what that resolution looks like if I'm honest), may just be that you drive a wider car haha but it's something you get used too very quickly either way.
    Only games that I've had a "problem" with is older games like Mass Effect (1, 2 and 3) but there is an option on the monitor to switch to "original" 1920x1080 so it's not much of a problem at all.

Just be warned, the picture in the link is a little bit mis-leading, the screen bezel isn't really that thin, the plastic border/casing is only a mm or 2 wide like it shows but the bezel actually sits behind the glass and is about a 1cm wide all the way around the screen.
    Good monitors though if you can get past that little bit of false advertising, highly recommended.

• Like Like x 1
  7. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Chiming in, I believe that you should be a thought to Freesync or GSync monitors depending on your GPU.GSync ones may cost quite a bit more, but if you got an AMD GPU ,Freesync are about 250-300$/€

8. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Thanks all and thanks Nate for the kind words. I bought one and really am enjoying it. I can hook my PS4 and my One up to it as well so that's a bonus. This one has freesync on it as well so that's a bonus. I just need to fire up the old FOV calculator for racing sims.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  9. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I'm running triples using a doddery old GTX780 with everything maxed apart from shadows and maintain a constant 60fps, generally the same for most Sims the poor thing is running a tad warm and the fans sound like a deranged leaf blower but my point is triples aren't the drain on resources most believe, most modernish nvidia cards should run 5760x1080 without breaking to much of a sweat, tiz all them fancy effects that suck the power!

10. lrystedt

lrystedt Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I'm so sorry if I hijack this thread but I see you are using three (?) monitors. Is it possible to have one facing forward and the other two to the sides?
    When in multiplayer I sit inside the cockpit not knowing if anyone is beside me, and I really don't want a reputation of a crash king dragging everyone with me.

11. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that's pretty much the purpose of triple screens. One out the front window, one for the left window and one for the right window.