question for video and fps gurus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clevername, May 1, 2016.

1. clevername

clevername Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I'm running 2 970GTX cards (yes, I know R3E is not SLI compliant). When I set the graphics settings at LOW, using FRAPS I am getting a solid 75 FPS, and all motion is butter smooth.

If I run on HIGH, I am getting 65-75 fps, but even when the FPS is at or near 75 FPS, overall motion is not as smooth (stutters).

Why does the video look stuttery on high settings even though FPS are same/very similar?

What settings should I try to reduce or change when running on HIGH to get smooth motion?

2. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I am not a sli guru but I will try to help you.

Do you have vsync on which limits to 75fps? vsync should be avoided if possible.
    Can you give us a bit more information? CPU, RAM, resolution, triple monitor setup?

Some hints for issue:
    1. Small stutters happen to me since I think Nordschleife patch (I own a R9 290, similar performance to your single 970). My System is fast enough, didnt try to reduce video settings. It is not a deal breaker it happens very rarely.
    2. First of all fps is a bad indicator for multi gpu systems because the gpus render independently and irregular. 65 fps could be in the worst case real 35 fps. This issue was there from the beginning and is still not solved by any company. For the future avoid multi gpu if possible, it is not worth it.
    3. Both of your 970 use 3,5 GB vram proper ram and 0,5 GB ultra slow vram. In the best case your cards should never use that 0,5 GB ultra slow vram. If they do, you get stutterings. R3E should not be that vram hungry unless you run a very high resolution with AA.
    4. Your CPU is too slow
    5. Your System is overheating or your power supply is not powerful enough.
    6. Some SLI issues, never owned a multi gpu system.

Improve performance? Reduce AA, shadows and reflection rate.

3. clevername

clevername Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Muca,
    Yes, I had vsync on. I will turn that off and see

Here are my specs:
    Triple Monitor Setup @1080p
    CPU i7-3820 3.6Ghz
    16 GB RAM
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Mainboard
    1200W SeaSonic PSU

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Probably CPU hitting it's limit. What was the actual race/session setup (which track, how many cars and how many visible, damage on or off)? On high graphics settings you can try to disable the visible opponent cockpit option and reduce the number of visible cars. Disabling replay recording might also help a little.

5. clevername

clevername Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Mainly I have been testing on Raceroom raceway GP layout with 20 cars, 15-20 visible, and damage on. I will try some of your suggestions. Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  6. MrTay.

MrTay. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I got the help for my SLi problem from here on these forums!
    Download NVIDIA Inspector and adjust the driver to suit your setup.
    Below is mine and it works like a charm.
    The key part is changing the elements in the SLI section.
    Change the GPU counts to TWO (where yours is) and 'Force Single' on the other three options.
    It might work better on your setup selecting AFR or AFR2 but try Single first.
    Up top is the Sync and Refresh section. It might be worth putting on a frame rate limiter to your desired rate or maybe just under.
    Worth trying, it certainly worked for me.

[​IMG]