Problem R3E crash when setting (upper) clutch deadzone to zero

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Cobra Cat, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Cobra Cat

Cobra Cat New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I first noticed this issue in the Porsche 964, I've not tested to see if the problem exists in any other car. I noticed I was missing shifts while downshifting and blipping the throttle, sometimes in the exact same location on the track which seemed strange. I regularly driving AC and rF2 and have no issues when manually blipping. As a result I adjusted the clutch deadzones and observed R3E crashing pending the clutch deadzone setting.

Regarding the missed shift issue. Here is an example of what I'm experiencing. Before entering a turn I simultaneously press the clutch, disengage from higher gear to lower gear, blipping throttle at the the same time, downshift is ok, the shifter was firmly in 2nd gear but when I released the clutch I get the missed shift gear grinding sound and the car was in neutral

Its almost as if R3E is too slow in detecting the clutch input and by the time I'm releasing the clutch its still catching up after detecting the shifter input.

I have a Logitech G29 wheel and the G29 shifter.

clutch deadzone crash.JPG

2. Cobra Cat

Cobra Cat New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I drove the Porsche 934,10 laps at Hockenheim and had no missed shifts. I immediately switched to the 964 and had a missed shift at Sachskurve. Strange as more often than not its this turn where I miss shifts consistently in the 964. Something related to the RPM range perhaps.

3. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    From memory the 964 has a syncro box so the donwnshifts have to be precise. @Alex Hodgkinson will be able to confirm this.

4. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Yep, they both have a syncro box but whereas the 934's is slightly modified and has a lighter flywheel the 964 is factory standard, in fact the same spec as the 964-RS. It means the 964's revs take a bit longer to drop when you dip the clutch, so you have to ensure you're not rushing changes.

The 964 also has huge ratio differences between each gear, which you can see below*

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What this means is that you have to wait for the revs to drop more than usual when downshifting. If you don't, then the next gear won't engage otherwise as the engine revs will be too high for that gear.

*Speeds may not be exact because the tyre radius is dynamic and so will change with speed and load.

5. Cobra Cat

Cobra Cat New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Excellent! Thanx for the info. Staying on the brake a bit longer before downshifting which allows the RPMs to drop a bit more did the trick !

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  6. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if you've already seen this, but I made a sort of pre-release help video for this car:

7. Cobra Cat

Cobra Cat New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I saw this video a few weeks back, helped me quite a bit. Watching it again will probably help me pick up some of the minor details I may have forgotten, thanx!

I drive the 911s in Assetto Corsa mostly, although most of those are modern with rear wheel steering, etc. Obviously completely different handling. The 3.0 RSR in AC while nice isn't nearly has engaging or nuanced IMO as the 964 in R3E.

This is by far my favorite car in R3E. Brilliant work by all evolved in the development of this car in R3E.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1