R3E just delivers when it comes to racing against the AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anno900, Jun 30, 2022.

1. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,

maybe some of you know my posts about AI but what I saw in my last race (finished 5 minutes ago) was simply a blast.

Porsche Cup Deutschland with full grid at 100% AI (I'm not an alien) at Zolder.
    I qualified 14th (my last lap was invalid and would have been maybe top 5).
    In the 20 min race I finished 7th with having the 3rd fastest lap of all (only 1st place Rivas had an alien lap 1 second quicker than the rest).

I have to admit I tested some other sims lately as I got a new PC. And I qjuite liked ACC for its immersion but racing against AI is ... They drive their lines but never attack (also not on 100% aggression). They only overtake if you do "major" mistakes and seldom fight side by side with you or against each other.

What I had in the race above in R3E was a complete different level. Kolkmann and Zimmermann in front of me fought for laps when Zimmermann pushed Kolkmann wide to the gravel, he came back and one lap later he overtook Zimmermann in the final chicane ON THE OUTSIDE going into the last chicane.

I had some nice side by sides with Zimmernann into T1 but could not make it stick, whilst Akin Aka cateched up and divebombed me into 1st Chicane (but no hard incident buthe come from nowhere). Wow, simply just wow and it puts a smile on my face.

The "only" downside is (at cars with ABS it is even worse), that the AI still brakes too bad for slow corners (Akin Aka's divebomb was an exception of really late braking) and they are still slightly too fast in such 2nd-3rd gear corners. And those alien laptimes of AI (happen basically every last but only for 1 driver).

Racerooms AI is just so racey especially with the "no ABS and no TC" car classes, as they do "humanlike" mistakes. Not so much at braking, but going out of a corner, where they "often" have to back up from throttle.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Glad it works that way for you but when reading posts like this i cant help but wonder how experiences of the same thing can be so different :D

3. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Keep reports coming, since ai performance can differ massively from combo to combo
    I'm glad you like it;)

4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Probably because you're doing something different than we are, or because you have unrealistic expectations as to how things should be. AI is not an exact science. Despite it's name, current gaming AI is not actually "intelligent". It acts and reacts based on defined values, settings and data ranges and cannot think out of the box or react to undefined situations like a human can. In a situation like simulated racing, where literally anything can happen at any time, and when your PC is trying to determine the actions of a whole grid of AI cars, things can and do occasionally go a bit loopy. No matter how good "AI" gets, it will never feel fully "human".

That said, I love R3E's AI and have no particular issues with it using the vast majority of cars/tracks. A few anomalies, but nothing serious. They race both me and each other pretty well, they're probably the most "aware" AI in any sim right now, and they make the same kind of mistakes I see online racers make all the time. In fact, I get rammed off the track far less often by R3E's AI than by real people so... yeah. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    The unrealistic expectations will probably play a role but i just cant help but think the aim is for the ai to deliver races that feel like youre driving against professionals (perhaps with the added bonus of manually choosing how fast those pros can go). Now i havent gotten that experience in any game but just because no game does it good enough for me doesnt mean i suddenly enjoy it. But at the end of the day i prefer racing online anyways (where 95% of the time im involved in much less than against the ai and when i am i have a far easier time accepting there just are a variety of players with vastly varying skill levels plus some trolls rather than the ai not properly doing the one thing its supposed to do) so its not a huge issue for me, just a very different experience to the one described by anno and judging by the likes one thats shared by many here