Race Room in Race Rooms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FormelLMS, Apr 13, 2015.

1. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    Yesterday, I was in a race room store at the Nürburgring and drove a few laps there. It was a race with the Mercedes SLS from GT Masters on the Nürburgring track.
    Now I have a question....

At home I'm driving with a xbox one controller. I want to buy a driving wheel, when I have more money. With this controller I have many problems to control the car. When I'm on the curbs, my car drifts away and can't get controlled. Same, when I come to the grass. The car makes mostly a whole turn around.
    Yesterday on race room it was all another. I can control everything. Curbs wasn't a problem, grass were not, too. The car was easy to handle. Not to mention, that I've chosen medium yesterday. Same as I choose at home.

Now the question: is this race room in the stores an other version of the game? Is it easier to drive than the one we have at home or ist all caused be the steering wheel vs xbox controller?

Hoping that someone knows this!

Thank you!

2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, not so sure but i think the Versions are the same. The big difference especially with the curbs is the force-feedback, that you don't have in your controller. With Force-Feedback you feel, that the tires will move in the other direction when you hit a curb and you will slightly steer against that movement. With the controller you don't feel that and so the car will shakeup a bit...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Ah, okay. This could explain it.
    Thanks for answering.

4. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Impossible to know-maybe the display at the Ring had the amateur settings enabled, like traction control etc, but get a wheel anyway, you'll wonder how you ever did without one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I've chosen amateur settings, as I did it at home, too.
    I think, the real race cars have abs and traction control, so why make it move difficult, than in the real world.

So, there was no difference in difficulty level.

I really think, that it's only the steering wheel what makes it so much easier.

6. Richard Powell

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Each to their own, I like to drive with all aids off, but a force feedback wheel and pedals is a game changer, an absolute must if you want to be capable of any finesse when you're placing your car on the track. Once you've got a wheel, if you find you're REALLY getting into this you'll end up wanting a set of pedals that has a load cell brake, like Fanatec CSR Elites or better, then you'll want a cockpit to mount it all in, but all in good time. That's how it happened with me, getting a wheel opened up a whole new level of immersion in racing games, and I'm completely hooked now. Easy for me 'cause I'm a grumpy old man with plenty of cash and time on my hands. Whether you get into this a little or a lot it's all good fun.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    traction control is also available in get real (when applicable). amateur is more than just real life assists it has some form of unrealistic stability/traction control as well which makes it substantially easier and more accessible.

8. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Okay, your answers are really appreciated! My problem is: playing with a controller doesn't make any real fun because it's very difficult to steer and I can't make any good races with cracks or good KI because of this.
    Don't get me wrong: I don't want to be everywhere the first, but I want good fights between me and others. But that isn't with the controller.
    But buying a steering wheel costs me 1500 euros, because in the living room is no place to put a steering wheel, so I have to buy a complete new monitor and than a racing seat to make it perfect.
    What I don't want to have is, that I spent so much money and after that it doesn't drive like in the race room Cafe, because they have a complete other software or anything like that.
    I don't know if someone tried r3e with a controller, too.
    I want to buy those things and want to have that fun, that I have had in the cafe with this game.
    But, when I understand everything right, it seems to be as good with the steering wheel at home.

Oh well, if I could try this, before spending so much money. But I have no friends who likes racing Sims....

9. Richard Powell

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Before you buy anything take a look at the bundle deals at the Fanatec website. I'm in Australia, so I don't know if the same offer is available there, but atm they have a deal for the Porsche GT2 wheel ($329.95 Au) and CSR Elite pedals ($199.95 Au) for a bundle price of $329.94, so they're giving away the pedals for free (the cheapest set on the market with a load cell brake pedal).

http://www.fanatec.com/au-en/module/configurator;bundle_id;22

or you could go with the CSR Wheel and the standard non load cell pedals for $299.95 Au

http://www.fanatec.com/au-en/module/configurator;bundle_id;18

Clearly the first deal is the better bang for your buck, with better pedals, though many prefer the CSR Wheel. As I said, don't know if these offers are valid in Germany, but maybe worth a look.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  10. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    mate, i brought a $30 logitech driving force ex wheel of trademe (nz ebay) and it is a huge improvement over the controller. a expensive wheel is unnecessary i can keep up with the semi fast guys and have won a few races just don't expect to drift.

this has the same base and pedals as my wheel so i expect it's quite similar:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Wi...527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234f191a2f

11. Richard Powell

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I had a DFGT first and it's great value, but there's no feel to the brake pedal and of course no clutch. All depends on one's budget, if you don't have a lot to spend the DFGT is the obvious choice, and light years better than a controller.