Raceroom is not that great...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbtm, Jan 12, 2018.

1. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    So all these are now overhauled by @Alex Hodgkinson ? Or still only GTR3, ADAC and the new Porsches?

2. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    That list is basically just, "Anything before summer 2015 is on old physics, and everything that has been released or updated after summer 2015 is on 'new' physics."

The distinction is that the 'old' stuff feels floaty and doesnt feel that nice to drive, but the 'new' stuff doesnt have that floaty feeling and is more precise.

If you want to get really technical... All the GT3 cars (ADAC & GTR3) as well as all 3 Porsches are on the "newest" physics since only those were done by the new physics dev.

For the purpose of my distinction between new and old, that isnt important though. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. javi_crash

javi_crash Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Do you know if they are going to update the physics of these cars?

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Older physics iterations will be updated whenever time allows for it. Actually the Touring Classics and DTM '92 cars had been updated once already in the past, but that was over two years ago. Much has changed since then.
    So if there's time in between new stuff the devs will use it to update those classes, eventually. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    shouldn't it be a priority to get everything equal? or else wipe the content that never will be updated (or there's only a very small chance) from the store, like the Ruf RT12R GT3. Or make a big sticker on it "old fisics"

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. javi_crash

javi_crash Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the answer Christian.

• Like Like x 1
  7. javi_crash

javi_crash Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Ruf RT12R GT3 has new physics, like others GT3 cars.

I think it's good (especially because I have this car), if they have been overhaul a discontinued car, sure they will overhaul the others cars.

8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I don't think so. If that where the mo nothing would get finished cause each time you adjust some values in a certain class you'd have to then update all classes. This is impossible with a staff size similar to S3's, just look at how long it took to overhaul the GT3 physics, there's months of work involved. Improvements are made on-the-fly, mostly while working on new stuff, and if those improvements turn out a big benefit they will be spread to other classes eventually.

Also, what works for one class (e.g. GT3s) won't necessarily work for other classes, like open wheelers or GTO Classics f.e. So having multiple tyre models isn't a downside from my pov.
    Personally I don't really understand the old-vs-new-physics topic (admittedly, possibly because FFB isn't as big part of the equation for me as it is for wheel users). I get that it'd be nice to have everything on par, but on the other hand newer/different doesn't always equal better. I like the TC/DTM '92 cars the way they are, just like most of the classic cars we have, and those haven't been touched in a long time.

9. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    i know, but it was wiped from the store "to make room" for the "official" Porsche 911 GT3 R ... if you know what I mean. I know it has the same physics and will probably get the updates in the future too.

best would be to make it clear to the customer which physic iteration drives this car.

@Christian Göpfert with a wheel it's a very huge difference in the cars. The Ruf RT12R from the GTR2 class is almost undriveable for me because it's so floaty. Most of the "old" cars have this floating feeling. I never drove with a gamepad so I don't know if this difference is noticable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  10. javi_crash

javi_crash Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Yes, i know what you mean. But think that S3S doesn't make money with the Ruf RT12R GT3 (because it's no longer for sale) and they have updated it as the others GT3. They could have put aside this car and they didn't.

I'm thinking about the good side of this ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Here is it again. Sorry, thats a weak argument.

They want to play with the big, they are pricing like the big (or even higher) and they have to deliver like the big imho.

Whats with the costumers who purchased because of DTM92?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yea, FFB ain't really a factor I even have to consider for my driving.
    That being said, for me the "physics model" of a car is not the same as its FFB(-quality). From my pov those are two seperate subjects, and most probably why I don't get the buzz. (Tho I wish people would be more precise in their terminology :p , but that's just me being nitpicky to the max ;) .)

13. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    In is first or second video appearance, Alex Hodgkinson mentioned somerthing like that when he examined the formulas and numbers, he found one or two very profound things to be very wrong, I think it was something about inertia values, but my memory may fool me there. At that time I had not the impression that he was describing something that was unique to just the GT3 class, but the physics model in RR in general, in all cars.

If so, the physics overhaul indeed should be attached to all car classes in use. Currently, we seem to have three physics standards. The mainstream one we had before the revamped GT3, which included most but not all classes, then the latest GT3 (and Porsche ?!) physics, and then the very old and outdated standard in classes like GTX and the like that still were not lifted to the mainstream standard of pre-Hodgkinson era. I do not think it can be defended to leave it like this. All classes should be lifted to the latest Hodgkinsonian magic, in the sequence of their popularity, obviously: cars used most should go first, less used classes go last. This is the only way things make sense to me. It must not be pushed to the top of the priority list, the better strategy probably is to have instead lower-intensity but constant work done on it, making sure the transfer to the latets physics standard is constantly happening.

Its a fundament in physics modelling I talk of, not about making all classes feeling the same. They should feel differently, yes - but on basis of the variation possible within one and the same physics rule set.

And only then comparison between classes makes sense, becomes possible.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    How can staff size not be an argument when it comes to producing anything?
    And where and when did they ever say they want to compete with Gran Turismo, or Forza, or even PCars? You simply can't if your staff is a tenth (or less) than theirs.
    You wrongfully equate justified pricing with output quantity.
    As (fast)food analogies appear to be in vogue here atm, here's one: If you run a fancy little restaurant you will never be able to put out as many meals as fast as McD's can, and you're charging way higher prices than they do. Even worse your portions are way smaller, so people even get less food for more money. Is that unjust, a rip-off? Well some might think so, but those poeple are missing the point, quality. Quality-wise they deliver big imo, and for that they are charging big, even bigger than the simracing fast food outlets. ^^
    What is the issue with/for the people who bought DTM '92 cars? They bought the cars the way they were when they were released. If you didn't like them, why did you buy them?
    And nobody said that those cars won't be updated, but, as above, it's a huge task (especially with a small staff, even if some (for whatever reason) won't acknowledge this simple truth). Even Alex can't just magically c&p "the physics" to any other car and it'll work. Things take time, and if your staff is minimal even more so.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    But isn't there an argument, that Raceroom is always evolving and there will not be a annual new release like F1?
    What about the plans of reorganizing GTRX, GTR1, a special Pagani Zonda R Cup (25 liveries)?
    Raceroom gets advertized with
    upload_2018-1-13_17-52-18.png
    Raceroom would benefit, if all cars and tracks were at same level as said before.
    At least the Flinstones era should be overcome;).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lølwut

Lølwut Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Would you kindly look over to Project Cars 1 and 2 wich has had a huge Budget and a mich greater Manpower than S3 has? Now tell me how polished and amazing that game is compared to R3E. Ive played both too and had my fun with them but hell, theres bugs all over the place, even some from the first game carried over to the second one.
    What is the point in having all those fancy features, all those cars if the most basic stuff doesnt work properly?
    Physics might be not all on the same page in r3e but have you ever encountered as severe bugs as in PC1/2 in this game?

That being said, i really really tried to love the new pc but i just got tired of dealing with bugs literally every race online or offline. In the end of the day im always end up back in R3E because it has the most polished experience in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    What an utter nonsense. I bought the Cup Porsche for iRacing (I assume you would call them a "big one") last week and paid about 18$ for one car with one skin. What was the price again in Raceroom? And don't come with AC - thanks to being a mainstream AND a console game/sim, they have a far larger userbase and of course can offer their stuff at 'lower' prices. But you also have to admit that in order to get the one Porsche one likes, you are forced to buy a DLC with a bunch of uninteresting vehicles. Your trumpesque exaggerations help no one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Same guy. Another try.

Now he dialed in his FFB.

The result will surprise you (or should I say, in the end it's not surprising?)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stef van Remy

Stef van Remy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First of all I like to say I like his cockpit. And I don´t care I can not see his foot work as this rig is beautiful. So far for that.

This guy seems to be
    A) smart
    B) really smart
    C) A well balanced driver due to his love to all cars

And every single review about a game from people playing R3E as long until they like it is usefull...:D:D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    i agree though it should be quite high on priority list to get all cars updated, unless they are gonna take them off the store