Raceroom Remastered Reshade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by largestyle, Jul 25, 2023.

1. largestyle

largestyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Hi again Maskerader. Many thanks for your feedback!

Your observations & guess is correct, and I've seen this myself (and don't like it either)!!

I believe what's happening is the Reshade effect that adds the fake rayleigh scattering / volumetric lighting is the culprit. Basically, part of that effect contains a dynamic / reactive adaption system (seemingly to simulate eye adaption and / or manipulate tonal balance on a scene-by-scene basis by design) and there are moments when this system seemingly doesn't react particularly well for some reason and degrades / alters tonal balance too much of certain scenes. That said I'm not 100% convinced that's the entire cause as I haven't yet been able to do my usual extensive analysis, but this matter was already on my list for further attention. That lighting effect is the only dynamic element of my mod so this issue could well be / likely is related to that, but as a long shot it could also be to do with tone-mapping seeing as the base-game lighting wasn't made for modern tone-mapping and there might be inconsistencies with how effectively / prominently my tone-mapping enhances the base game on a scene-by-scene basis(?) Going back to that dynamic adaption system as it's probably the prime suspect, it's basically damn hard to get this effect under control as it sometimes works in odd & unexpected ways, and it's essentially by nature a dynamic tone-mapping modifier running within a global static tone-mapping modifier, and I'm balancing lighting improvements with dynamic tonal preservation counter-measures covering most if not all of the image spanning all times of day in Raceroom, all while using limited and sometimes even broken Reshade controls! Although it will likely be time-consuming and very tedious work, I'll work on finding non-destructive settings that work in variable harmony / synchronicity with themselves and hopefully I can resolve these tonal inconsistencies (as long as the base-game isn't the cause).

One element that should hopefully make that task a little easier is more tone-mapping improvements - for right now I've ditched all of my tonal systems and V3 is now running very nicely using Unreal Engine 4's internal tone-mapper! It's actually really quite close to what I made from scratch for V2 so I'm quite proud of that, but UE4's official settings are a slight step yet again in tonal accuracy so that warrants one last release of my mod! I had to do a fair bit of reading up about UE4's graphics systems to get it running accurately in Reshade but it's in there now and it looks like a flawlessly tone-mapped Raceroom. There' no black crush / tonal problems anymore so that should make it easier to assess and dial in those adaptive lighting settings (or ditch them and find an alternative)!

I'm not going to put a release deadline out as I've not been well recently so it'll be done when it's done. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts - that's exactly what I need to help iron out issues! V3 will be perfect (or I'll give up) o_O

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  2. largestyle

largestyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    So it annoyingly seems that the tonal adjustments / inconsistencies are caused by Raceroom's internal graphics, specifically the car windshield which seemingly reacts in variable ways dependent on the varying light being sent onto it from the sun, and the windshield ultimately acts as a tonal filter. While that effect doesn't cause tonal problems with modern titles as they'll no doubt use an additive / non-desctructive calculative way to simply add the effect, more aged gaming engine titles (like Raceroom) have no choice but to add the effect in a subtractive / destructive way hence why tonal balance isn't preserved. It's either that or their effect is advanced enough to be capable of preserving tones better but instead it's a rather overwhelming stylistic choice from the devs, but it leads to a less than ideal outcome either way.

The pictures below (using original unmodded graphics only) looking at the white BMW in particular show the difference in tonal strength changes going into turn 1 at Nordschleife where the sun is directly in front of the player and the windshield effect is present, compared to going out of turn 1 where the sun is roughly 70-80 degrees to the right side and the windshield effect is reduced but still present. I say that as then look at the levels in picture 3 (compared to picture 1) using bumper camera and the image is completely unfiltered or as I call it "raw" and is more vibrant because of this. Just to be extra sure, I also then disabled sun / God rays (or as they call them, lightshafts) as I suspected that might've been part of the problem, but that didn't have any significant effect and the windscreen effect / filter sadly remained.

upload_2023-8-1_15-30-3.jpeg

upload_2023-8-1_15-30-21.jpeg

upload_2023-8-1_15-31-25.jpeg

As for a solution, directly speaking there isn't one as I can't change / tone down / remove that windshield effect. Even indirectly I couldn't do much if anything at all as all I could do is add yet another adaptive layer or compensation calculation that dynamically compensated for windscreen specific tonal changes, but as the cars cockpit is constantly on-screen that would play a big limiting part when using a dynamic system. I mean, you could use such a low FOV and remove most of the cockpit but that's a massive and unrealistic compromise, and in that case you might as well use the bonnet camera (which alike bumper cam is tonally raw too).

So basically we're stuck with it (unless you avoid cockpit cam) but having improved tone-mapping is a mixed bag here - in one regard it shows this issue up more prominently as we have a greater base range to start with, but as bad as that might sound the tone-mapping will also help minimise that effect as we are still running in an expanded range, so we're kind of not really any worse off if you look at it that way.

I will look into it more anyway, specifically adaption settings as I'd also like to have it where when you go into & out of the tunnel at Raceroom Raceway and a quick bit of eye adaption kicks in (in a realistic way) but that's by no means a guaranteed task either!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  3. blueangel74

blueangel74 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I too tried the reshade for RR some time ago and got an improvement. Have you tried setting "ambient lighting" to "light dependent" or "cold", it seems that warm gives an effect that is too warm!:faccina:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. largestyle

largestyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to all that might've been keeping an eye on this thread for updates - I've simply been away down a very deep rabbit hole of computer gaming graphics programming for several days and I've only just resurfaced! I'll expand on this a touch more in a sec, but first to catchup on matters...
    After reading your message I looked into why we both shared a liking to V1 or V2 relative to specific tracks & times of day, and it boiled down to a small change in the games internal lighting variances per track and how my mods reacted to that. Essentially, Laguna's sunset shadows are 5% lighter than Spa's, and as my V1 mod made shadows 5% darker compared to V2 it seems we ended up choosing either V1 or V2 depending on the amount of shadow darkening amount we were after.
    Although my original reply to you was & still is correct, V3's installation will require a tiny bit more work than V1 and V2 so I plan to make a separate installation walkthrough video to help people that may be confused, which I'll do in the next few days.
    Thanks for your feedback. That warm setting was deliberately chosen for stylistic reasons - I just liked seeing something different and thought it looked decent. V3 is now using "light dependent" setting instead as "warm" was admittedly a bit too much in sunrise / sunset circumstances.

Right, back on track...(get it?!)

V3 is now done (as of about an hour ago from typing this) and I'll release it as soon as I've gone through all the required steps of cleaning the files up, making the demo video, modifying all text stuff (readme file and the RaceDepartment mod page) etc. All of that takes a surprising amount of time alone, plus I wouldn't mind trying the mod out for a bit more play testing using different tracks & times of day & cars combos pre-release!

I can say now that V3 is my last planned version as I'm pretty sure I've tried everything in the book to improve it from V1 & V2 and personally speaking at I least can't get V3 any better than it is now (that is without going crazy and adding screen / camera filters / effects / overlays etc). What makes V3 different from before is a little complicated to say as there's more going on under the hood this time compared to V1 and V2, but it's essentially that polished remaster that I set out to make as of V1, it just took me 3 goes at it to get it right! In what little testing I've done of V3 (last night basically) I was just racing along either having moments thinking "this looks great now" or I was otherwise simply enjoying racing in my favourite sim with more modern graphics for what felt like the first true time.

To say what V3 isn't - there's no "too" dark shadows from V1 and no overly bright lighting and massively oversaturated effects from V2 - basically there's no stylistic visuals, and I mean it this time! The very short version there is that anytime I tried to change lighting via tone-mapping alone this broke that tonal curve which is exactly what I wanted to completely avoided in V3. In fact I've approached V3 so thoroughly, carefully and "correctly" as I just didn't want to release another sub-par effort knowing that I'd have to do a proper job of it in V4. I know I'm biased here, but I'm very proud of V3 as I've done so much theory for it and applied many methodical techniques with constant rigorous quality control all to ensure that I can release this version & play Raceroom in peace-of-mind that I couldn't have done any better.

What's changed for this iteration then? V3's tone-mapping is from Unreal Engine 4 which had to be indirectly modified as just putting in a new (quite extreme) tonal curve in a game almost breaks as much as it fixes, and as I can't do the normal next step of changing / compensating Raceroom's visuals internally / in-engine to fit with that new curve another external modifier is required. I still applied & used the UE4 standard as a constant reference preset against V3 and mimicked it as closely as could be done without messing up either elements of Raceroom's visuals or the UE4 curve, so I had to make a really good balancing system which has been the heart of the challenge. I used a secondary tone-mapper within UE4's system which acts purely as the required compensation system for all of the other Reshade "effects", along with a third small near-black tonal adjustment as a final fix that couldn't be done in the former 2 systems without editing file code. A new eye adaption system now constantly runs in the background ensuring subtle yet effective optimisation of exposure levels that change according to light levels for any & every given moment. There's a full range colour correction suite that not only changes the colours to be more realistic, but they now also change tone slightly dependent on the light hitting the object (it might sound odd but it's more realistic too)! The "fake" volumetric lighting from V1 and V2 remains but it's been toned down / refined to be more balanced / also realistic look. I guess I could've just said the game now looks more tonally balanced and a touch more realistic, but I never give the short story first.

It's definitely a case of no one big change but the sum of all parts being the big takeaway here. I wouldn't expect it to look massively different from V2 in particular even though I'd still regard the change as significant. Without wanting to be full of myself, I confidently feel that we're now at the point when Raceroom can visually stand besides most of the other racing titles (although don't expect Gran Turismo quality, let's be reasonable here)!

I'm sorry that I don't have everything ready for release right now as I really wanted it out today / for the start of this weekend, but once I've done one last test session and as long as I don't encounter more issues, V3's release is just around the next corner!

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  5. largestyle

largestyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Hi again everyone.

Firstly I have to massively apologise to everyone on here - V3 has obviously been delayed and the past week has been far from fun, hence lack of release and even an update. I've really not been in a good place, so sorry to you all, I'm just trying to doing my best (and failing).

To explain what happened...

After making my previous V3 announcement post I immediately set to capturing image and video content for the release trailer, which included new comparison shots from V1 & V2 as well, and it was simply the case when viewing these items I wasn't happy enough with V3 as it was then to release it. In my defence, my prior praise of V3 was still correct, but I still thought it wasn't ready to be shared, especially considering that V3 was supposed to be the final & definitive release. There were 2 main problems with it - the colour correction suite was causing too much alteration of tone-mapping for my liking (as people may know, saturation changes alone can greatly change visual luminosity), and another Reshade effect that I was using for eye adaption (changing exposure based on light) also came bundled with another tone mapper (in the same effect file) that I didn't want but I couldn't disable it, and that clearly had another unwanted effect on tonal values. While I'd made a major bunch of compensatory changes, some effects were too strong to dial in (or out) and they left the final output as being different from what I was after and even slightly broken in rare circumstances. A couple of my private "work in progress" presets were less "advanced" than V3 but they still had some qualities that I very much wanted to hold on to but just couldn't due to the aforementioned issues and I became torn with the way forward. So I went back to the drawing board and started from scratch and made a different V3 that was more of my original vision, which I then thought I'd release "both V3's" together and label them as variants. But that didn't happen either as while both presets had their own unique positives, they both effectively showed up flaws in each other too, so that plan was scrapped too and I just about gave up.

While I might sound a little picky here, here's my mindset and why V3 was ultimately delayed - I don't want to just make a "decent" graphics mod by playing around aimlessly and without knowing what I'm doing and why, I want the complete opposite and the mod to be a reflection of simply making something well. To me the creation process is just as important as the end result if not probably more so. V3 up till that point was ok but it didn't reasonably fulfil enough of my personal criteria, and it's just taken a considerable amount of time, effort & struggle to become fulfilled.

V3 in the form that it's now in WILL be releasing tomorrow (Friday) for definite. It's yet another reworking from the ground up, and although it may not be absolutely perfect, it's good enough (IMHO) to get out there. In fact it's not really V3, according to my mod archive folder it's actually V106. All in, for my ongoing analysis I've taken 416 photos and captured 335 videos to get from V1 to V3. I won't bore you with my life story but I also have a lot of health problems and I can assure you that working on a highly mathematical mod with a few neurological problems, along with physical conditions that make actual testing extremely limited hasn't really helped me either, other than to give me reason to persist and overcome challenges. But that all is another reason for delays.

Anyhoo, this new V3 is what I described the previous V3 to be, but done better! It's basically a "best of" well everything all rolled into one preset, but can also be seen (in my eyes) as a box-ticking exercise. It simply had to be technically very accurate and as visually optimised as could be, I wanted to retain some stylistic flair from V1 while also improving my tone-mapping & saturation efforts from V2, and I just wanted it to look cool. In those regards, I think that V3 is a success. It's not as complete or even revolutionary as I'd like it to have been, but I've thrown everything I can at this project and it's just the best I can do. For those wondering about my previous statement of using Unreal Engine 4 tone-mapper - I had to kind-of ditch that for reason's I'll explain tomorrow.

In essence, I now see V3 as being more of a corrective mod than a visual overhaul as such, in that there have been times when I just see it as being normal and nothing special really, and only really notice it when I disable it. After all, the goal of this mod has always been to make a technical remaster and not redefine the wheel. At the least, it can be a basis for people to tweak away with.

Here's a short teaser that I've very quickly chucked together just to give you an idea what to expect. Please excuse all the bad driving - sometimes it was around 6am when recording (pre-bedtime).

I'll post again tomorrow (Friday) with better details of what the mod now consists of and to confirm being updated at ReceDepartment.

Many apologies again and many thanks for your patience.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
  6. largestyle

largestyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and to pre-empt any "shadows are still too dark" thoughts, I made the following video. It's just capture from Gran Turismo 7 (in SDR not HDR) that I made simply for a reminder of what a "highly regarded" games' lighting & tone-mapping system is. While that all is technically impressive in a regard, holy hell is it extreme. I hope those helmets come with night vision goggles, if you can avoid all those nasty sun reflection effects. Raceroom (even modded) might still look basic by comparison, but I'll gladly take it over GT7 for not only visuals but gameplay too.

Usual disclaimer for bad driving - again was extremely late at night / in the morning and was just using a controller.

7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Thankyou for all your work on this. Certainly more in depth than my pick a value and try it approach to reshape! I look forward to giving it a go.

One thing I have with reshade is a preset with nothing added, vanilla game if you will, so I can quickly compare the two.

8. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    @largestyle Thank you for your efforts, I'm curious what it'll look like in the end.

Also I'm really glad that you posted a GT7 video. Your Reshade videos look a bit too yellow and a tad bit green to me, and also I feel like I want to increase brightness a bit. Before, I thought maybe it's because of my monitor settings. Now the thing is, I see none of that in the GT7 video. Colors, while saturated, still look natural in tone, and dark shadows don't create an impression of the whole video being too dark. Even while driving in darker parts of the track I still see that it's a sunny day because distant objects that aren't in the shadow are bright.

9. largestyle

largestyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your comments. Reshade has a toggle on / off function which is unbound as default but you can bind any key yourself. It's in the GUI's "Settings" tab - just click the black area beside the toggle function and press your desired key. Has to be done for every Reshade installation (globally and not by preset) but is more efficient than making an empty preset.
    Thanks also Maskerader for you kind words and feedback. My teaser video is "the end" (planned / foreseen anyway).

Not to get defensive but to just address your comments...

Regarding my image being too dark, compare these...
    upload_2023-8-11_14-58-45.png

upload_2023-8-11_14-58-55.png

GT7 is set in afternoon while Raceroom is sunset, yet looking at the levels mine has more visual information including the lower regions. My image doesn't contain any very bright information deliberately as it's set in the shadow (the white of the car will fill the highlight area once out of shadows). Also note GT7's bottom left analysis showing that their highlight detail within shadows is almost completely based on strong vehicle reflections, which Raceroom doesn't have and I can't change this. Also, if comparing the amount of light that's hitting the trees on the left, GT7 has an advantage that I can't use / exploit. I've seen GT's tone mapping system and instead of the normal increase in lighter tone like UE4 does, GT decreases lighter tones in their tonal curve and then increases the in-game sunlight multiplier to make a bold distinction between light and shadow. I simply can't do any of that with Reshade alone.

As a second example...

upload_2023-8-11_15-5-29.png

upload_2023-8-11_15-5-43.png

My image again is brighter overall, and the circled tarmac area is very similar in luminosity as seen in the top right brightness & saturation levels. Granted that particular scene has raised exposure due to the adaption effect I used, so when you say go around turn 1 there the shadow level of tarmac is darker as the adaption isn't as effective due to more contrasting brightness (more of the sky in frame) but I have no meaningful control of the adaption effect, so my settings are a balancing or one could say compromised in nature. Just alike the sunlight tree matter beforehand, I just as much (or little) can't change the game's shadow levels either therefore I can't fix the issue. Besides, compare my tones to that of vanilla and again in that scene the shadows have almost identical / very similar values (in the top right of the screens)...

upload_2023-8-11_15-14-46.png

Yes my toning is clearly darker in some aspects, but if I raised it to be like "vanilla" then it would just look like vanilla and my mod would have no effect nor purpose. My preset concentrates on the "technical" element of remastering by "simply" adding tone mapping for the purpose that effect is supposed to be for - to simulate our eyes' perception and reaction to light and darkness, and done so with increased range due to dynamic pupil dilation as opposed to the game's original static average which is unrealistically flat. In all honesty I wanted my mod to do a little more than it does, but simply slapping on a tone mapper (in the wrong stage of the pipeline I might add) is a crude "fix", but my hands were tied beyond normal measures especially when comparing to professional studios and their own engines and systems that have clearly advanced more than a 10 year old game that Raceroom is. That said, I still think my mod adds more than it detracts, hence why I'm going to carry on using it!

As for colours, if you again compare vanilla with my mod, there's actually less yellow in my mod due to a small colour balance that I deliberately applied. Admittedly I'd like to have made the lighting even less yellow, but remember that I'm not actually changing lighting at all - I'm changing the complete colour palette, so removing more yellow than I already have would make the yellows that we do want to see (such as in car liveries) wrongly coloured...

upload_2023-8-11_15-19-46.png

upload_2023-8-11_15-20-3.png

If I take out the colour correction of my mod, the yellow situation is even worse...

upload_2023-8-11_15-23-30.png

... hence why I already dialled that back as much as reasonably possible. As for correct colour tones within shadows, that's a major matter in it's own right. When toning anything, and especially when using a dynamic exposure system, from what I understand there needs to be some form(s) of gamma and possibly hue correction applied to counter the distortion of correct saturation values. If unaware, tone mapping's brightening cause desaturation in that range and also causes increased saturation in lower tones, so a preservation system needs to be used. Considering the toning goal posts are frequently moving and as a knock on the saturation varies from being correct to less correct / incorrect, it's beyond me / probably Reshade to fix this. As far as I know, any saturation / gamma / hue compensatory systems that are dynamic and reactive to tonal / exposure changes are outside the ability of Reshade and simply require a dedicated collection of linked compensation systems which GT7 will naturally natively have, and my mod can't. I once had a very basic compensation system running in Reshade by adding more saturation to highlights while preserving luminosity through a second pass of manual compensation, and likewise reducing saturation to shadows, but it was flawed as Reshade effects can't directly "talk" to each other so I can't link anything. So I had to ditch my attempted correction system in the end though as while it fixed some colours in certain lighting situations it also broke some colours in other scenarios because my effect wasn't able to be dynamically reactive, and therefore just didn't work well enough to keep in the mod. I've been very mindful of saturation and colour tones throughout, and I even reverted back to my Fallout 4 modding days in which I tested and setup this Reshade mod within...

upload_2023-8-11_15-49-41.png

I'll also have to say that Raceroom's lighting approaches, styles and implementations vary quite widely between times of day, often by too much, and it makes it all (mod or no mod) very hit or miss in terms of pleasing results. Last night I gathered new footage for the V3 trailer and I just tried various tracks with "random" time of day settings - sometimes it looked great, flawless even, and sometimes it was too fugly to even remotely considering using for demonstration purposes. I've personally found that just like finding particular cars and tracks (and combos) that we each like, for Raceroom the time of day seriously needs to be chosen wisely for decent results. While extreme, GT7 at least looks consistent, but this is where Raceroom just needs updating or even outright remade.

Despite my above response, I do get why you have the impression that the brightness may seem a bit too dark, but in terms of tone mapping it's the vanilla version that's instead just too bright. Ideally, a true native remaster would feature stronger tone mapping and any lightening up would be done using the game's internal lighting engine. Reshade is exactly just that, I'm reshading / regrading what's already there, and put frankly that alone can't and doesn't remaster anything, so in that regard my mod could be seen as a hoax, but in reality it's not because my mod is a technical remaster by "simply" adding more modern toning & "fake" lighting changes / techniques to the game. I had to abandon using the Unreal Engine 4 tone-mapper in the end as directly applying it broke so much - the sky's were so bright and washed out that clouds even disappeared or just lost all tonality (were just a white blob) and there was even more darkening present than in my mod. That whole UE4 tone mapper (ACES) in Reshade ended up as a messed up matter anyway as I've tried 3 or 4 different ACES effect files and each looked different and unique, so most if not all were flawed anyway. My new V3 uses a tone-mapper file obtained externally from Reshade (it's perfectly safe and from a highly reliable source) which originally had an ACES curve applied, but I had to rewrite curve parameters to suitably fit within visual tolerances and ranges. Essentially my mod was more extreme at the start due to how applying a tone mapper works, and I've just continually dialled it all back through many gradual refinements to eventually reach a point where the effects work effectively enough and as done so as flawlessly as possible. The end result that is V3 therefore isn't a massive reworking, but that was never going to be possible from day 1 due to limitations of how mods like Reshade work. Meant very nicely & respectfully, V3 is basically a take it or leave it situation, as I simply can't see a way to "fix it" any more without breaking it any further either.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
  10. largestyle

largestyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Right, so I've made a quick adjustment to brightness / shadow levels...

Here's an ungraded & un-tone mapped grey scale for reference...
    upload_2023-8-11_18-33-12.png

Here's how that looks with my V3 from yesterday...
    upload_2023-8-11_18-33-47.png
    The dark regions are admittedly very dark / pushing boundaries as such, so here's a lightened version I just made that makes in game shadows fall in line with vanilla...
    upload_2023-8-11_18-35-36.png
    In game that changes yesterdays V3 from this...
    upload_2023-8-11_18-43-7.png
    To this...
    upload_2023-8-11_18-43-22.png

A subtle yet effective change, maybe not demonstrated at it's best but it'll do for right now. The second (new) iteration is technically better by having more detail and lighter tonal response to shadowy areas, but I still like the original stylistically so I'll include them both and label them something like dark & light shadow variations. I really need to get on actually sticking to my word and getting the mod out today as I have lots to do still :)

Attached Files:

11. largestyle

largestyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Right, V3 is now on RaceDepartment. Apologies for the delay but I've done as much as I can as quick as I can.

Need to knows for V3:

There are 2 versions included - "Darker" and "Lighter". Darker is what I've been working toward and on for the past 2 weeks, and it's highly refined & polished. That said, that preset still contained a slightly darker tone (shadow area of brightness) than most wouldn't probably call a mainstream look, so the Lighter alternative is a very much last minute inclusion to please that audience. Due to the rushed nature of today, Lighter therefore isn't quite as polished as Darker but some may still prefer it anyway.

The installation is a little different, in that it needs 2 new effects from within Reshade and 1 externally (but supplied in the download)...

V3 still uses:
    Reshade Package: SweetFX by CeeJay.dk, Effect file: ChromaticAberration.fx
    Reshade Package: Legacy effects, Effect File: AmbientLight.fx

...but also needs...

Reshade Package: AstrayFX, Effect File: BloomingHDR.fx
    Reshade Package: Color effects by prod80, Effect File: PD80_04_Color_Balance.fx

and the "external"...
    ACESNarkowicz.fx

For the native Reshade effects, to add them you simply re-run your downloaded version of Reshade, go through the same installation steps as before but when prompted select the "Modify" option. This will then let you add new Effect Packages / files from their repository to download into your existing Raceroom / Reshade folders.

The ACES file needs to be manually transferred into...\raceroom racing experience\Game\x64\reshade-shaders\Shaders\ - I've put the folder structure into the mod download so just drag & drop my .ini files and the Reshade folder into the aforementioned directory path. The file is perfectly safe and came from official sources linked with Unreal Engine 4.

Here's the V3 demonstration video too. To clarify, the gameplay footage is all the Lighter version as although I'm not sold on it yet I thought it would have more appeal than my preferred Darker version...

As a summary, as an initial reaction to myself, the Lighter preset is fully admittedly the closet yet to being a technical remaster, but it's also the least stylistic version I've made which I'm frankly rather bummed out about. I used to love racing in some sunsets as they in particular gave a lot of atmosphere, which is now pretty much almost completely gone in V3 Lighter. I'll probably have a look before long to see if I can find a way to get a tonal response that darkens it up a smidge while preserving decent visibility. I don't know if that's even possible but I have found a new way to move forward with that so I'm curious as to where that may lead, if anywhere. I was also working on Depth of Field implementation but that missed the cut for todays release deadline. Most probably won't like that either, but I do so that could be an optional extra. I really don't think there'll be a V4, or at least that's not foreseen nor planned, but if I can tweak V3 just that tiny bit more then I'll release it as V3.1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
  12. paultino666

paultino666 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Very nice work Large Style, V3 is great with darker+lighter iterations to suit different tracks and time of day.
    Many Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. largestyle

largestyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Thank you paultino666 for you continued support and kind comments here and on RD.

Can't say I gave the different iterations being useful per scenario any real thought so thanks for pointing that out too! That's invaluable insight from a different perspective so much appreciated! :)

14. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    @largestyle Thank you for your efforts and thank you for your explanations too, it's very educational! Regarding color tones, I don't use vanilla and instead use "standard-day" mood which removes all this excessive yellow tint (you could say it now looks a bit blue, but I like it and don't mind it). I don't know if it preserves natural yellow colors, but I think they look okay in this demonstration:

I tried to use your V2 with standard day mood (instead of default mood) on Brno and it resulted in a pretty natural looking picture but the overall lighting was if it was a 100% cloudy day, you know a bit gray and with undersaturated colors. Still looked pretty cool and I'd say looked perfect until you notice clear blue sky in some corners :D

Anyway, if I still find color tones a bit off for my liking (and as you said, different times of day can look better of worse), which plugin would you recommend me to adjust it? I'm totally new to Reshade so don't know which ones have a proper functionality for that.

15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    There's a slider in reshade to adjust colour temperature. Use that.

16. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    @largestyle finally found the time to give your work a try and thanks so much for your hard work. I personally like V1 the most, feels to my 4k TV display setting what's closer to real outdoor colors.
    But Reshade is so powerful and users are so different in their set-ups and preferences that I can understand why people would prefer your more recent versions.

one bad glitch though that I am facing for the 1st time using Reshade in Sims titles, I am getting a massive artefact on the pedals/steering widget.

anyone who would have had to deal with the same issue and would know a fix?

thanks a lot
    upload_2023-8-15_10-52-6.png

17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I've had that glitch now and again. Restart game usually solves it or even just go back to main menu .

18. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    thank you. is that inherent to using Reshade? because had never seen this until I loaded Reshade in RRE which is quite recent

19. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if Reshade can contribute to how often this bug appears, but it's not the cause of it. It can happen without Reshade or anything, last time I had it was when I switched between fullscreen and borderless window. To fix the issue, you can also use "Move and resize HUD elements" button, move the input meter and it should fix it.

20. largestyle

largestyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much @nolive721 for your kind words. I'm glad you like the mod. There's no need to justify which version you prefer - they're not offered as incremental improvements as such, they're just different. V1 while flawed still offers the most stylistic visuals so that holds a lot of unique appeal to me too!

As for the widget "bug" I personally couldn't say as I've never used it, but according to everyone else it's a known bug perhaps not necessarily associated with Reshade? Aside from experimenting with 3D I've not used Reshade before so I'm just unfamiliar with any possible bugs.
    Many apologies @Maskerader for not replying before now - I had to have a few days away from Raceroom as it all quickly became an un-fun stressful headache-inducing work project. Thanks once again for your kind words too. You never mentioned that you're using a different "mood" file which would've explained a lot regarding colour tones not matching with the default "mood" (what I've been using). I've now had a very quick look at those options and if I do any more Reshade work then I'll test the Standard Day mood as it looks possibly better than default.

I might still put out a V3.1 sometime, I'm not sure. Last time I had a go on the game, the Depth of Field effect again didn't really work out, but I did find a way to improve definition within dark tones, and using that extra range I could lighten shadows without compromising black and near-black levels, so there's a little more to be gained as yet from V3, but I've had some life stuff become priority for the next week and a bit so this mod is down my list a bit, at least for now.