Problem Raceroom won't launch via Steam

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by John McG, Oct 9, 2021.

1. John McG

John McG New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Today I have had the issue where Raceroom will not launch. I start through Steam but RR just sits at the "Starting" tile and Task Manager shows it as unresponsive. I tried leaving it for quite a while then had to shut it down using end task via Task Manager. It was running as normal yesterday (Friday).
    I reinstalled RR twice but the result was the same.
    I tried Assetto Corsa and it loaded and played normally.

upload_2021-10-9_21-45-45.png

I reset my router to default and also reset my fibre modem too. Same problem

I also run RR dedicated server on a different PC with a different Steam account. I checked that the server runs up ok and a multiplayer instance is available. This was confirmed by a racing buddy who was able to access it on RR Multiplayer from his sim rig. However, while I could see him active on the server in the server browser, I noted that the server command window had started displaying numerous errors.

I then tried running RR from this same server PC, but the result was the same as shown above.

I tested my broadband link and it was testing consistently at approx 940Mbit up and down. Both the RR PC and RR server PC are cabled connections.

I have a couple of other sim racing buddies who also have broadband from the same provider and they have confirmed the same issue with running RR. We have also noticed that Steam login has recently(last few days) needed a couple of attempts to log in.

Obviously, this likely points to a broadband service provider issue, but I would like to know if there are any known settings that may affect this and may be specific to the way RR (and potentially Steam) access interacts via internet, or if anyone is experiencing, or has experienced, something similar?

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    That's interesting. So far, whenever someone complains about R3E connection, it goes like "everything's working fine except Raceroom". Now there's one more service that's also affected. I wonder what's common between them. Some kind of encryption? Data protection?

What's your ISP and where is it located?

3. John McG

John McG New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I think I have found what the issue is, even though before I did anything this morning I could successfully get on to RR...

I am in Singapore and my ISP is Starhub.

My Starhub provided Linksys router is set for DHCP which of course, also means that the DNS server address is allocated as part of that. So it was using the Starhub default DNS address. I am pretty sure an issue had developed with that DNS server which was affecting some sites but not all and RR and to an extent, STEAM were 2 of these affected sites.

What I have done this morning is set the router DNS to manual and entered the Google DNS addresses (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) as primary and secondary DNS servers. I also invoked the ipconfig/flushdns command on both PCs just for completeness.

A side effect of trouble shooting this problem yesterday is that having reinstalled RR (twice) I had to set everything up again which is fine, but the feel is now quite different compared to my legacy settings prior to yesterday. It's almost like the updates that have happened recently work slightly differently as an update compared to a complete reinstall....

Anyway, that's for me to continue with settings experimentation. I'm just glad to be back online with at least a fairly solid explanation of what was happening.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    What about your friends? Did they managed to solve the issue too?

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  5. John McG

John McG New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    They were online successfully, but they did not do what I subsequently did as RR was running on Sunday morning before I did any of the above. They have just continued with the ISP default DNS.