Racing etiquette at start of ranked/multiplayer race?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RogerSaele, Apr 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. RogerSaele

RogerSaele New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Should racing etiquette be displayed when ranked/multiplayer race is loading? I think it might help educate some racers and help avoid certain incidents. For instance, I believe some racers do not know what a blue flag is and how to behave if you get one, that they are responsible to safely rejoin if they go off (perhaps do not have mini-map and spotter), etc.

Something like this:
    https://images.app.goo.gl/3PqjNDMdourbAyBo7

And perhaps include something like:
    - Do NOT try to win the race in turn 1. Remember that your tires/brakes are cold hence be careful to avoid ruining the race for yourself and others.

Basically display a set of "rules" to iterate what is expected behavior (do's and don'ts), especially for ranked servers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    what does a blue flag mean to you ? ; to me it means there is a faster car near ; be aware

Andi

3. scotty_r56s

scotty_r56s Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    In my experience, it means there is a faster car approaching and you must yield to it. Does it have a different meaning depending on the organization?

4. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    An all-caps chat message that says 'JUMP-STARTS WILL BE PENALIZED' (or something like that) during the grid/start sequence would be welcome.

5. RogerSaele

RogerSaele New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In the linked example it states the following regarding blue flags:
    I think that sums it up nicely. In RaceRoom, as far as I know, you get a blue flag if:
    - You are lapped, which generally means you're way behind and you should facilitate the pass (the passing car might even be fighting for a win or podium).
    - In quali when there is a faster driver approaching (this can be a tough one, because one might be on a good lap also in which case you might have to compromise your own lap for the sake of the faster drivers lap). I tend to yield if the driver behind me is actually faster. Sometimes though, if I have yet to set a lap time, if I get a blue flag I would only let him pass if he's actually faster (sometimes that is not the case and he doesn't actually catch me, and hence I'm not in his way).
    - And I guess in practice, but here it's less important IMO (because nothing affects your ranking/reputation).

I would prefer something like the quoted statement, but a more "courtesy flag" message, like "be aware" would be fine too. Basically just educate some racers of what the blue flag roughly means, and perhaps get some racers who already know what it means to respect it more (hopefully seeing the "rules" before starting a race would make them more likely to adhere).

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  6. RogerSaele

RogerSaele New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Didn't even know you could jump-start.

7. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yes. And it's also not enforced on ranked servers because flag rules are set to "visual" there.

Jump-start protection is always on on ranked servers, but you can turn it off on your dedicated server. But there's no way for a driver to see if it's on or off, yet.

• Informative Informative x 1