Recommend me a 24" monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metalogic, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Hi - I'm looking for a good external monitor, primarily for use with racing sims (I don't play FPS, and the other games I play are less demanding strategy games or RPGs, like Europa Universalis IV and Pillars of Eternity), as I currently am just using my laptops 15.6" 1080p screen, which isn't going to cut it once I get a wheel...

I have limited space, though, so am likely limited to no larger than a single 24" screen, which I hope is going to be large enough, as I'll be using a Wheelstand Pro to mount the wheel, so will be sitting a little back from my desk...

My current PC (an XMG P505 laptop with an Nvidia 970M GPU with 3Gb vRAM) doesn't support G-Sync, though my next PC likely will, though I can't see myself buying a new PC for another 2 years. My PC *does* support up to 144Hz refresh rate, though of the sims I currently own (R3E, AC, GTR2), it's probably only R3E and GTR2 where I can get more than 60fps at 1080p on the higher graphics settings (also another reason for not going more than 1080p).

Support for a VESA mount is a must, as am considering mounting the screen on an adjustable monitor arm, so that I can bring it to the front of my desk more easily, though may not do that for a while, so would like a stand that has lots of adjustments, including height.

I'mm be using a DisplayPort or miniDisplayPort input primarily, though would be nice (though not essential) to have HDMI input as an option too.

A thin-ish bezel would be nice, though not essential, as I don't have space to run triples.

I don't need speakers, as will always be using headphones with it to avoid annoying the missus!

I don't really care about blur-reduction, it's not really needed for racing sims I think and tends to dim brightness

These are the monitors I've been considering - which of these would you recommend I get, or should I be considering something else? My budget is about up to £300, though nearer £250 would be better.

All the below support >60Hz refresh rates:

• BenQ XL2430T (not G-sync, but otherwise looks great, has the widest selection of inputs, including DisplayPort and HDMI, is about £260) -Review
    • AOC G2460PG (has G-Sync, and has really come down in price now - £250 at Currys, but the BenQ seems to have a better screen) - Review
    • Asus VG248QE (no G-sync, but otherwise looks pretty good, is cheap at about £210) -Review
    There are also various Acer offerings, some G-sync, some not.

Am currently favouring the Benq XL2430T...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  2. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
  4. || HyperBeast ||

|| HyperBeast || New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey there,

I'm using a Benq XL2730Z with the fastest TN Panel and 144Hz. Its just amazing, even the windows cursor moves smoother. Min. Specs should be 144Hz and FreeSync or G-Sync. 1080p @ 24" is OK. The Acer looks pretty good for the price.

5. Jazz Forsberg

Jazz Forsberg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I've been myself with a Benq 2420T for years. Now it belongs to a friend.
    Another friend has the bigger 2720Z and he loves it (although its "only" 1080p)

For non G-Syng panels I would probably go with Benq. They are solid.

6. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Unless I can convince her otherwise, I'm limited to a 24" screen as the missus doesn't really want anything bigger than that on the desk, as she uses this during weekdays for working (she works from home). She may have a point, as the space we have is quite limited, though perhaps a thin-bezel 27" screen might be acceptable,

Also, I'm not sure that my 970M GPU will be able to drive a resolution higher than 1080p at decent fps without turning details down (although probably not an issue with Raceroom, as I can easily get 90+ fps with this, but could be an issue with AC and other games), and most 27" screens seem to be 1440p and running games at non-native resolution is never ideal. The BenQ XL2720Z is 1080p, but then I'm concerned that the lower pixels per inch count means things won't look as sharp as 1080p on a 24" screen when working with Windows - though maybe I'm wrong?

I'm leaning towards the Benq 2430T, it's no G-sync, but from what I've read build quality is better than the other brands listed, and it's sounds like it has a good screen. The Acer Predator XB240HA looks good value at £260 for a G-sync screen, though only DisplayPort input (like most G-sync screens) and the build quality is apparently quite plasticky and cheap-feeling.

7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I guess it depends on how big your desk is. Admittedly, I got a huge desk (2mx1m) and there the 27" screen works excellent. I also like it for writing/work as I can have two regular sized windows side by side (Word or LaTex on the left, browser/pdf on the right) which is very comfortable.
    Everything else is down to your preferences, I'm ok with 1080p @ 27", think what's more important is having 144 Hz. Sharpness is not an issue on my end, but that's also very much down to what you're used to and what you want.

Of course it's always very subjective and might also be down to sheer luck, but Benq is the first monitor manufacturer I've had zero problems with so far, so I'm a bit biased.

8. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I got a triple setup using these, right at the back of my wheel, so pretty close to my eyes. They are as sharp as knives...;)
    Best monitors I ever owned.

9. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    In the end I purchased the the Benq XL2430T, as noticed that last night was the last day Benq's own EU store was offering €90 off monitor and free delivery (so €309 / £239). It's not G-Sync/Freesync, but then my laptop doesn't support that, but does support output up to 144Hz. From all the reviews I've read, it looks like a good quality monitor, and will fit better in my current workspace than a 27" screen.

24" is still going to be a massive step up from my current 15.6" laptop screen!