Recording replays with geforce experience in r3e

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nico Kunze, Feb 10, 2022.

1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Does anybody here use the geforce experience to record replays in r3e and get it to properly work? When i open the overlay via alt+z and click on start a recording there then i cant close the overlay again (when recording in the menu i can tho for some reason) which means i cant switch between cameras and so on. When starting the recording via alt+f9 i cant seem to end the recording..

2. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Alt+f9 to start the recording
    Alt+f9 also to stop the recording

3. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Thats what i tried but it just doesnt end it (at least i dont get a notification and theres nothing in the folder in which its supposed to end up in)

4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I'm using that thing and it works. When I press Alt-F9 a green dot appears in one of the corners (adjustable in settings). If it doesn't appear I'd assume the recording haven't even started.

Does it work in other games or programs? Which shortcuts work for you in GeForce Experience? Maybe it's Alt-F9 that doesn't work for whatever reason, try a different one.

5. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    I turned the green dot off in an attempt to get rid of the big overlay but when i press alt+f9 i get a notification that a recording has been started so that seems to work. When im in the menus in r3e starting and stopping works fine but in a replay things no longer work as expected. Havent tried any other games or different shortcuts yet, guess ill try that later today

6. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Well tried again today and now it worked without any problems. Maybe yesterday i tried to bring up the overlay with alt+z and that messed things up or whatever. Either way thanks for the help to both of you :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Hm weird issue. Never happend to me. I used the NV recording feature a couple years and it had other issue here and there like it once started to not record the game on my main screen, but the secondary monitor lol and would sometimes just not record at all ect.

When Win 10 got the Game Bar with build in recording tool i switched to that and tbh it works flawless since 4-5 years without any single problem. I would recommend to use the Windows tool, nowadays it has every needed feature + more. :)

8. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    That wouldve been my first choice as well but for some reason it takes away any performance and just causes stuttering all over the place
    Just as a little comparison
    With windows game bar (maybe skip to 0:30):

With geforce experience:

9. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Btw the "Just for Forum" one only has 48fps not 60fps ^^

But yea really weird. I mean i made a lot videos since 2013 so i used booth tools for years and couple hundreds of videos and when i switched from Shadowplay to GameDVR years ago i was just happy to getting rid of the mentioned weird issues and never noticed any difference in needed performance for recording between the 2 programs and so the videos were fine.

I use 1080p/60fps and 45mbit in Shadowplay and also 1080p/60fps and "Video Quality - High" in GameDVR and with that the bitrate is around 42-45mbit at the end. All my recordings go to a separat disk thats only for videos so theres no OS, programm, game ect. installed or running on it.

I just made a quick test video with Streamlabs and using first Shadowplay as you can see when the green dot in the corner appears and after that i start the GameDVR recording at around 45sec where the fps drop at the start of the recording like always and nearly exactly numbers regardless of the used tool. There's nothing visible from the GameBar overlay neither on game capture nor screen recordings footage.

At the end the amount fps and cpu,gpu usage seems pretty identical to me. No clue whats going on that you have those heavy lags with GameDVR. You could also give OBS, Streamlabs a try for recording stuff. Their advantage is the very high flexibility of the recording settings in detail and also codec selection.

Btw on a side note: Normaly when driving/playing games I always use vsync and borderless window mode for everything because i have a Pc screen and my Tv hooked up in extend mode on my pc.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  10. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Good to know that the difference in performance is down to something on my end although i dont know what. But as long as its now working with geforce experience i wont question the details :D