Bug Screen freezes when loading a session

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by watam, Jul 2, 2022.

1. watam

watam New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I'm encountering an inconsistent but game braking bug where the game fails to fully load a session, be it online or offline. Screen freezes on a loading screen but the game continues to run in the background, if I move my mouse to the left corner and left click I can start the game and hear it play. If I alt+tab out and back in screen fills with artifacts as shown in the attached screenshot. Can only close the game through the task manager and hope it will work the next try.

It's a new pc, all drives up to date and even reinstalling Windows didn't help. And no I haven't encounter artifacts in any other game I've tried.
    My suspicion is that it might have something to do with monitor refresh rate, I have a 144hz monitor but have it set to 60hz in Windows, though the game doesn't seem to recognize it. If I let game run at 144hz compared to 59hz the frequency of the issue gets slightly reduced but still happens often enough to be annoying. On 59hz it triggers almost every second try.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Attached Files:

• rrre.png
      rrre.png
      File size:
      997.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    These artefacts look like there's a hardware problem. Is your GPU overclocked in any way? If yes, set it back to default values. You can also try to stress-test it and see if it works fine.

3. watam

watam New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know it's not overclocked, all the settings in the BIOS and the GPU control panel are set to default and I haven't changed any values. I did the stress test and it went fine, no artifacts or any other issues. I've tested numerous other titles on it and they all ran without any problems or weird artifacts on screen.

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    where did you set the refresh rate exactly? Might be worth turning vysnc and any other hz capping off - both in game and in the Nvidia/AMD control panel. What graphics card and driver version are you using?

5. watam

watam New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    RX 6700 XT, driver version 22.5.1 I had the same issue on the previous version.
    As for the refresh rate I set it within the Windows display settings.

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Probably better to use the recommended Windows settings then and cap frame rate on a game per game basis either using steam command lines or the AMD driver, if that is possible. Otherwise. you might as well just use a 60hz monitor!

7. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I'd take the GPU out and put it back again. In case there's a bad contact somewhere. Then ran a GPU memory test.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. watam

watam New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That seems to have fixed it, thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  9. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0