(Setups)Bump/Rebound

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slythe, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Slythe

Slythe Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    through the years of driving race-sims i have learned that the rebound should be slightly higher than the bump and that when using soft springs the dampers should be on the softer side as well . Does this apply to R3E as well? Maybe one the devs or the more experienced R3Edrivers can enlighten me how this works in R3E :)
    Thx in advance and kind regards

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  2. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    If I have got this correctly the Bump setts how slow / fast the suspension is being compressed.
    And Rebound setts how slow / fast the suspension bounce back. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Not good enough driver to say how it actually applies on R3E, but you sure feel a difference maxing the values out on either ways.

3. Slythe

Slythe Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    You're right Heppsan, but this didn't answer my question;)

4. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    No, sorry about that. :oops:

5. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I have noticed with just about any sim including this one that if you set rebound slightly higher than the compressed side the car handles a lot better.

In this game I usually set it one click higher. If the car feels too spongy I increase the stiffness, but I always make rebound one click higher.

I would like to know the 1st thru 3rd placers on the leader boards car set ups are. Be nice to get a screeny of those.

6. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Forgive my ignorance (I'm rubbish at tuning and most of this sounds like Greek to me) but what do you mean by that? Which side is the compressed side? I often feel "sponginess" in the cars and I'd like to figure out how to address it (easily, if possible).

7. Slythe

Slythe Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    compressed side means the bump-setting..
    I can only guess...but maybe 'sponginess' means that the car doesn't settle down fast enough when driving over bumps

8. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Bump is the compressed side of the valving for shocks.

To reduce sponginess you can go about it a few ways. One is increase both sides of the damper. Bump and rebound. Or increase spring load, or a combo of both. There many other ways to go about besides these. Ride height affects the travel for example. If you mess it up just reset to default and start over.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, dampers are really rather for fine tuning, springs, arb, toe are much more important and influencial settings. You should have those dialed in before changing the dampers.

I generally agree with DM, on a "regular" car (front engined rwd) it is almost always advisable to have a higher rebound setting (especially in the back), simply because it makes sense. =)
    Seriously, the dampers are there to resist the springs in order to reduce oscillation, so it's logical that a sprung coil needs to receive more resistance than when unsprung, cause there is much more energy stored in it which you don't want to release to quickly or the car will start to bounce.
    But also don't want it to release to slowly, cause then the dampers might actually lift the tyres off the surface by not releasing fast enough.

It's time consuming to get it right. The racers I know do it by changing one setting at a time by one or two clicks, then driving, then changing again and so forth, until it feels the way they like.

10. Slythe

Slythe Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    What do you guys suggest for a DTM92-car on a bumpy track like the Norrisring? Soft spring? I'm having a really hard time setting up the Audi for next week league-race. Atm i am running pretty high springs on both ends with high rebound-settings