Question Shifting vibrations on gamepad

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by TheFlash, Apr 3, 2016.

1. TheFlash

TheFlash Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I'm using the DualShock4 emulated as the XBox 360 Gamepad (because there's no official PC support from Sony). Since the patch I have no more rumble effects when shifting (option set at 100). Those of you who use the real 360 pad, are the shifting vibrations still working after the patch?

2. MPN64

MPN64 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I don`t have it anymore, but I have not played for a while so not really sure when I lost it.

3. TheFlash

TheFlash Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    So you didn't have shifting rumble with the real 360 pad before the patch but I had it with my pad emulated as the 360 pad (and don't have it since the patch) - that's kind of strange.

In the end, not having the shifting vibrations isn't a big deal. The important vibration feedback about wheels/brakes/kerbs are still working fine.

Besides, I'm hoping/waiting for a full Xbox One controller support. If that happens, I'll switch to it anyway because IMO it's the best gamepad for racing games

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    ^^^^ This - So far I've been using an XBox One Elite controller with R3E, it's great, as you can map the gear shifting to the paddles underneath, swap in the longer thumbstick for more control over steering and all the triggers, thumbsticks and buttons have a good feel to them, and the rubberized grip feels fantastic - BUT THERE IS NO RUMBLE, which is a real shame, as with a gamepad you really need all the feedback you can get.

I asked Sector 3 support about this (and why there is no default XBox One Profile in game), this was their response:

"Please note that we've noticed some issues with the regular Xbox One controller where it causes performance issues and fires off rumble incorrectly. From our investigation it seems to be a driver issue on Microsoft's side. We're not sure whether this affects the Elite as well. "

"Regarding the question of an official controller profile for the Xbox One Controller; Like I said in my previous response there seems to be an issue in the drivers (which are made by Microsoft, not us) that causes some players to encounter quite severe issues while using this specific gamepad in our game. These issues range from odd rumble motor behaviour and performance issues to the entire game crashing. [NB: I've not experienced this at all - Metalogic]

Until Microsoft rectifies these issues in their drivers or, at the very least, informs us of what it is that is breaking in their software so that we may work around it we unfortunately cannot officially support this controller."

"There is indeed rumble if you're using a wired 360 controller. For the Xbox One controller however there are the driver issues which makes the rumble motors act very strangely, so having no rumble at all is definitely preferred."

So it looks like until Microsoft sort out the driver issues, there will be no official support for the XBox One controller in R3E, nor any rumble effects, which is a real shame as the XBox One Controller actually has 4 separate rumble motors, not just 2, as also has the "Impulse Triggers", so could potentially give different feedback with those than the rumble motors in the hand grips. These are fully supported in Forza 6 to good effect, apparently.

I've actually just ordered a Thrustmaster GPX Lightback controller, as until the XBox One controller is properly supported by R3E, I would like to have something that supports the rumble effects - the Thrustmaster GPX Lightback is listed as being officially supported by R3E in their FAQ and is basically a 3rd party XBox 360 Controller, so should support rumble. It's also meant to have more precise thumbsticks than the official XBox 360 controller and stiffer, more progressive triggers, which may help with better control over throttle and brake - whether this actually makes it better for driving in R3E or not I don't know yet, but I'll provide some feedback once I've used it. I'd rather use my XBox One Elite controller, though, if that was offocially supported.

BTW there is also a "Ferrari F1 Edition" of the GPX Lightback controller available for £5 more, which has better case material and a rubberized back, but I prefer the more subdued look of the "Black Edition": http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/gpx-lightback-ferrari-f1-edition

NB: the lighting feedback looks more of a gimmick (who actually looks at their controller while racing?), but can be turned off.

5. Felix Azur

Felix Azur Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    NO vibration with Xbox One Wireless gamepad ! Really rubbish !

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheFlash

TheFlash Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that extensive information!

A big company like Microsoft isn't able to release a proper driver for their own hardware? On their own Windows system? They should be deeply ashamed! I totally understand that Sector3 won't put a second of work into that controller unless Microsoft gets their driver fixed.

Well, then I'll stick with my PS4 Controller. At least the crucial rumble effects work fine.

7. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Are you using DS4Windows to emulate a 360 controller?: http://ds4windows.com/

Or are you using InputMapper: https://inputmapper.com/downloads/category/2-input-mapper

Or maybe something else?

Are you able to use it in bluetooth wireless mode with R3E and still get rumbles?

Also, have you adjusted the sensitivity curves from the default in the DS4Windows software, as I understand this is possible?:

[​IMG]
    If the Thrustmater GPX doesn't work out for me, I might be interested to try a DualShock 4 controller...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  8. TheFlash

TheFlash Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I'm using the DS4Windows made by Jays2Kings (-> ds4windows.com). There are other emulators which also call themselves DS4Windows (adware with less options) so be sure you get the right one.

Adjusting the sensitivity curves in the DS4Windows isn't possible. Maybe you can do that in the InputMapper, I don't know. But there are enough in-game options to adjust the sensitivity curves exactly to your liking. For the sticks: Steering Sensitivity, Speed Sensitive Steering, Min Steering Speed, Max Steering Speed + Analog Sector 1, 2 and 3 - which are more options than the ones the picture you've posted. Plus the options for throttle and brake. I haven't changed them because the preset 360 values fit perfectly to the DS4.

Now to the wireless/bluetooth connection: Some people have the problem that the DS4 always loses the bluetooth connection after a few seconds and nobody seems do know why this happens. If you got that problem you probably won't get it to work wirelessly. There are some solution but they don't work for the most people. BUT: If the general wireless connection works (it did flawlessly with my DS4), then everything works - including the touchpad, the lightbar AND the rumble!

And you can set up funny little things in DS4Windows. For example, I set up the following things...
    - lightbar is off on default and turns red when I brake
    - touchpad is my mouse in the menus and while driving wiping in each of the four directions is an additional defined button
    - overall rumble effects are set to 150% (every value set in-game gets increased by 50%)
    - when you want to do your mandatory pit stop with the default tire changes you have to press (when in pit lane) "pit menu down" twice (2x button 1) and then "confirm pit stop" (1x button 2). I've set the triangle button to do all that at once with one single press.

While I'm typing this, I remember that you can not only set a lightbar colour to a button but also a rumble effect - this solves my initial problem with the lost shifting vibrations since the patch. Of course it only works when you shift manually.....

....update: tried it, it works! I've set a medium heavy low frequency rumble on the upshift-button and a light high frequency rumble on the downshift.

PS: You can do cool stuff when not using a Microsoft Gamepad on a Microsoft System :p:rolleyes:
    (Doesn't change the fact that I would love to have a fully working Xbox One Pad)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The Thrustmaster GPX is a very bad option. I send it back twice, finally for a refund, because the right trigger had an annoying dead zone what completely compensates the benefits the controller provides.

10. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Oh really? That's annoying - mine actually arrived today, but I haven't had a chance to try it out properly yet - how can I tell whether the GPX received also has this dead zone or not? How does it manifest itself?

11. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    The stiffness of the GPX triggers and thumbsticks feels like it would give greater control, although the feel of the controller in the hand feels is nothing like as nice as my XBox One Elite Controller. I'll try it in-game with the default GPX profile, and will see how I get on, though the default gamepad profiles aren't necessarily the best...

If I don't get on with it I guess I'll get either a stock XBox 360 controller or a Dualshock 4, not sure which of these two would be best? Even when/if the XBox One controller is properly supported by R3E (i.e. rumbles etc and a proper profile), which won't happen until Microsoft sort out the drivers, I still want a spare controller for practicing at work at lunchtimes.

12. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Mine had exactly the same deadzone, only on the right trigger. So I thought this is considered a 'feature' and went on a refund. If you are lucky and your GPX works properly, you will have a controller that combines benefits form the 360 and the xbox one gemaped. My deadzone was about 25 or 30 %, that in combination with the strong resistance made it completely useless for me. And the strong resistance was a feature that made be buy the GPX.

You can find that out easily in any controller test tool, as in windows gamecontroller options or in R3E itself. Just press the trigger slowly until the activation is noticable in the test. I did this with the left and right and the left was okay, comparable to the 360 gamepad, but the right trigger was nonsense. Then I pressed and hold the right trigger at the first activation point and checked how far I had to press it down. The trigger looked like it wasted half its possible travel until first activation.

13. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I forgot... If the GPX does not work out, try the 360 gamepad. Not a cheap imitation, I suggest. If you get used to the less accurate sticks (compared to the GPX or xbox one), what can take some rounds, it is worth the money. With the new slip rumble, you can feel what the car does. Just increase the slip effect to at least 60, then it becomes useful. But switcging between the 360 and xbox one often might be uncomfortable because of the very huge difference in the feel of their sticks and triggers.

14. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Well I did some tests, the left trigger picks up input almost right away, the right trigger I have to push further for it to register for an input (though definitely less than half travel). What was quite interesting, though, was that I performed the same tests with my XBox One Elite controller - and the results were not that dissimilar - the left trigger picks up input almost right away, but the right trigger I had to depress further before an input is registered - very odd!

Are the left and right triggers also different on the XBox 360?

15. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    No. On the Xbox 360 pad the triggers are responding fast, both of them, at the same point. If there is a difference, it is not noticable. The deadzone is very small, even light presses result in an activation. I checked that when I had the troubles with the GPX.

16. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Interesting... @TheFlash - I was wondering how this compares to the Dualshock 4 gamepad - do you notice any difference in deadzones between the right and left triggers and do the triggers register a light press immediately as an activation? How accurate do the thumbsticks feel (have you been able to compare to a 360 controller?)?

17. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW @Paradox Agi and @TheFlash - what FFB/Rumble setting values do you use for your controllers (screenshots of settings would be great)? I've been trying the GPX gamepad out (more on that later) and am really appreciating the physical feedback from the vibrations, though it's perhaps only the slip effect vibrations that matter, as these seem to start kicking in before the sounds of the car skidding kick in, so give a useful early warning to ease off. I'm actually tempted to turn off kerb vibrations, as they can just get confused with the slip vibration, and you can easily see/hear when you're on the kerbs anyway, or do you find these useful? I don't get any shift effect, even at 100%. Not sure I'm getting anything from the engine vibration effect, and not sure that would be useful anyway.

One thing that's a bit odd - there is a Gamepad Rumble On/Off setting - but even when off, I get rumbles on my gamepad - does this setting have no effect (this is seperate from the Force feedback On/Off, which does have an effect). I assume the steering force settings have no effect on a gamepad?

18. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW just I've posted a review of my experiences with the XBox One Elite controller and the Thurstmaster GPX Lightback controller with R3E here.

19. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    @TheFlash - are you able to make use of the Sixaxis motion detection at all with your Dualshock 4 controller in R3E using the DS4Windows software - just wondering whether you use this to trigger anything (e.g. look right/left, perhaps?), or whether this would just be distracting?

20. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I have the slip effect on 60% on my 360 controller. Engine vibration is not delivered by that gamepad, so it does not matter for me. The GPX can handle engine vibration, but it was distracting me, so I turned it off. The shifting thing also seems not to be delivered to my controller but I did not test that exactly. The curbs effect works well, I have this on the default value.

For the 'classic' FFB settings I experienced that these bring some slight but useless vibrations to my gamepad. So I left them alone and for me, slip and curbs are the only usefull FFB effects. I really love the slip effect because it provides some useful informations about the cars behaviour and let's me feel more connected to the road.

As the GPX has stronger rumble effects, my settings won't help you out, I think. I suggest to set slip and curbs to a comfortable value and ignore the rest.