Shipping costs are a joke

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by w4nn13, Mar 29, 2016.

1. w4nn13

w4nn13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I was looking forward to buying a https://www.raceroomstore.com/shop_en/driving-contoller-76050023.html

But once I got to check out they wanted to charge me 30 euro delivery to Ireland for a 25 euro device, this can't be right?? This kind of silly thing has stopped me buying it now and seems no one else sells it, they got me by the balls, I would really want to know from someone why it cost 30 euros to ship the item? because as far as I can see they got not reason to charge this amount....I mean ffs I could fly there cheaper on Ryan Air plane and back for less than 30 euro

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  2. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    site says 10.5 gbp.

3. w4nn13

w4nn13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that might be UK but I am in Dublin, when I go to UK site there no option to add one to my cart, just says add to wish list as if they don't have any in stock?

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Because that's how much UPS charges for shipping to Ireland here in Germany.
    Actually it's even more for a private sender, guess RR as a business get a "better" price. It's ridiculous, I know, but not Racerooms fault.

Btw, nice avatar. A pleasant surprise for me when I first heard them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Christian here. Shipping costs in general have skyrocketed in recent years. Less than 10 years ago I ordered stuff a lot from all around Europe, mainly UK and even overseas across the pond and shipping was usually reasonably priced not counting all the ebay ripoffs (best option was of course Amazon UK Free EU delivery R.I.P :oops:).

Today, You might get a decent price if the delivery can be arranged with a national post agency, but in most cases with every courier there is, that is UPS, DHL, FedEX etc., they just ask ridicilous prices even if your package is relatively small and light. So in many cases the price arbitrage I might gain in the product price is simply negated by the huge shipping costs, even if not counting possible customs and taxes with non-EU orders.

So, in most cases today it is just easier and cheaper to get the stuff where you live. The problem is, of course, if you want something that isn't available in your country. Then you just have to make a choice, either leave it or suck it and pay an overpriced sum of money because of the shipping costs. I have done both in my life, so I guess it depends.

6. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, international shipping is very costly, especially for "express air".
    I was looking at shipping a Logitech Momo wheel to a friend in L.A. from Western Australia, as his G25 died sometime ago, a quote from DHL inter chilled me to the bone, I was quoted $340 Aud to ship a 5.5Kg box "express air", the cheapest quote was $175Aud express.
    In the end I sourced a near new Momo on Amazon, so I decided to screw the shipping companies and had the near new Momo delivered to his door for a little more than the cheapest shipping quote. and he didn't need a voltage adapter, as we Aussies use 240v, the US is 110v.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  7. w4nn13

w4nn13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Haha yeah great band seen them in Dublin here last year!

• Like Like x 1
  8. w4nn13

w4nn13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I understand were your coming from but still its a total rip off, I ran my own business and shipped stuff all time does not cost that much unless its something big

9. gio_vtec

gio_vtec Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    No kidding, shipping internationally will always be the worst, also depending on the currency, here in Mexico the price of the dollar has shot to the skies, and if i want to get something around 30 dlls i need 1 week of my payment to barely pay that.

I hope in a future R3E add a bit more content in Steam as Steam manage to level prices in our economy.

10. w4nn13

w4nn13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Well I got a reply from them and it seems I am right about what I said, never take it up the backside from anyway one question everything haha.

Thanks for the inquiry - seems like you found a bug in our store. So thanks a lot for reporting you rproblem.

May I ask you which country are you from? Right now I guess the delivery price of 30 € is the one that would apply for products with bigger measurements e.g. our game seats.
    However the delivery costs for smaller products should be lower if unless I am mistaken.
    So if you could tell me which country you're from I'll see if this actually is the correct shipping price or not.

11. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    If you go strapped on a wing, naked and carrying everyone's bags and they'll still charge you extra for the 2 sacks between yer legs!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hehehe, it's not a bug. I'd be interested in their final answer. ^^
    A parcel is a parcel (up to a certain weight), if they send a simulator in one piece (which I doubt they do) that would be freight and 30€s would be a steal for an international freight delivery.
    There's a UPS truck for international deliveries on the RR page, so I guess that's the service they use.
    You can test it yourself here: https://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_IE
    and see how much a standard parcel, 20x20x20 cm, 2 kg from Ireland to Germany (or vice versa) will cost.

• Like Like x 1
  13. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I bought my Thrustmaster T300 from a German company and paid just under £10 for shipping. Worked out cheaper than many UK e-tailers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I think a lot of it, at least for the US, is what sort of deal companies have worked out with the carriers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yep, of course as a company they'll get a better deal, but for a private person the cheapest, most standard option (=DHL) for a parcel of up to 5kg costs 17€ atm. UPS is ridiculously expensive, with something like 50 €s.

16. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I used to order snus in bulk from Sweden, then the USA decided that it had to be shipped via UPS or FedEx instead of US Mail. Now shipping is astronomical. Say a product costs $20 for a log, and shipping is $35. Whereas shipping for 3-5 logs of 10 cans would cost around $5

• Like Like x 1
  17. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I learned this last year. A friend in Germany was sending me a T500 rim and in exchange I was sending him 4 pounds of delicious Murican chocolate, it cost about $20 to purchase the chocolate and over $50 to ship it to him through USPS (it was even more through UPS).

18. w4nn13

w4nn13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    OMG I can't believe it, there just told me its correct and it cost 30 euro ship a tiny box OMG there so taking the piss, why is there a monopoly on delivery, why is there no choice for say like normal post, I cant believe this shit, its shocking and I would love for for some one from the company explain to me why there is no choice, do you want sell more stuff or not? Don't make any sense wtf?

19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying to stop myself from saying I told you so...
    Argh, didn't work. :D

As I said above, it's insanely expensive to send anything abroad from Germany, even the most standard option is 17 €s, but when a company has a contract with one service provider (UPS in this case) they have to stick with it.

20. w4nn13

w4nn13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Its all a load of bollox if you ask me, I want to see some numbers from the company, I don't care what anyone says it don't cost 30 euro to ship an item the size of Easter egg, there should be a choice, do they want to sell me this controller or not? I cant pay 30 euro so what am to do? Just take it? They dont sell it anywhere else, if this is the case why dont they give it to other re-sellers who wont charge silly prices for delivery