Short shifter rod for Fanatec made a massive difference

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Turtle Power, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I am sure some of you already have seen this short shifter rod from Boosted Media video. Just to clear things up, I am not here to promote any product/s. I am here to give you my personal opinion because I believe it is worth looking into it.
    Straight to the point, the item arrived quickly, with excellent built quality, and the most important part is that my Fanatec shifter now feels just like a sports car. It feels different, precise and you can shift a lot faster. I love it.
    short shifter.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Man I'd love to have one of these but with the conversion rate it's $50 US or so. Thanks for posting it Turtle. I hope someone stateside will make these.

3. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Bought the Fana shifter once and sent it back cause it had a sluggish mechanical feel to it that I didn't like (even after adjusting). And unwilling to learn heel-toe and whatnot after racing for 20 Years in sequential/kart mode I had no use for it anyway. Got me the Heusinkvelt one and it reliably does what it's made for ;)

4. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    The Fanatec shifter does have a sluggish mechanical feel, and I wasn't a fan of that either. Thankfully, this short rod eliminates almost all sluggish feel due to short and quick travel. So you won't feel it as much, and no need to worry about high tension either. If you adjust higher tension, the shifting becomes very strong, tactile and precise. It takes very little time to get used to it. I am pleased with it, and the price is great. I indeed paid for the postage and conversion rate a little bit extra. However, it would probably cost me 3 times as much here in Aussie land if I asked someone to make one for me. The labour here is insane.

5. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I've been meaning to do this same post, as I immediately grabbed this a couple of weeks ago after seeing that same vid.. - It only worked out as ~£22ish for me IIRC.

I love it though - As above, it just feels so much more immediate than the stock shaft.

Shot for comparison:
    [​IMG]

I did not enjoy unscrewing the stock one though.. The force it took was just unpleasant, and I thought I'd snapped something when it eventually gave.

6. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    That makes me ask why Fanatec doesn't have that option in the first place as there are two knobs delivered anyway if I remember right. Not to talk about the fact that the price for the shifter is a bit "juicy" on top of it. But nice you found that alternative m8 ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Same here, it sounded like a snap. It could have been a locktite or something? I see no problems so far.