Should I use motion blur?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fleskebacon, Apr 17, 2016.

?

Motion blur?

1. Fast

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Complex

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. Nope

28 vote(s)
    56.0%
  1. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I remember doing screenshots with motion blur as well. But currently as soon as I stop the replay and go into the free camera there is no motion blur? But it's supposed to work with the freeflight cam right? Do I have to select some combination of "complex" and "high" for motion blur I screenshots?

2. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I am not a good person to ask for this as I never use motion blur for any reason :p I just recalled seeing it in promo pics in the past.

Perhaps @Georg Ortner can chime in and shed some light on this for you, as he would know far more than me.

3. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,509 / 0 / -0
    For screenshots i usually use the freecam that moves with the car and take the image in motion (dont pause the replay).
    That way you will have motion blur.

If you use complex motion blur, you can play the replay in slow motion, and the motion blur will still be there.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    perfect, thank you Georg!

5. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Reduces the micro-stuttering for me. Complex/ High

6. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    If you are running 60Hz monitors you will have a blur no matter what (it's horrible). If you are on 120hz or higher, you are better without motion blur. Keep things crystal clear and smooth. Finally, if you are an artist and you like replay features, the motion blur comes really handy.

7. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    I've already posted the following in another thread, I hope you don't mind my copy pasting, but it just fits in here nicely:

What I instantly notice, is when I turn off motion blur completely. Some hate to use it, I really need some of it. The reason might be that I seem to be very sensitive to seeing a "slight stutter" if I'm watching a sequence of pin sharp pictures - even with framerates around 120, at which I have the game running quite constantly. You can compare that to a movie filmed at only 24 frames, but still looking fluid. The secret behind that, is that each frame was shot with a shutter speed of around 1/50 of a second which leads to a slight motion blur of moving objects in each frame. This causes a very natural blending from frame to frame, fooling your eye and your brain to believe there's no information missing in between the frames and thus giving a very fluid impression. The same scene filmed with an exposure of 1/1000s would appear very choppy. This impression becomes less obvious if you have more fps, but for me it's still distracting at above 100fps. So adding SOME motion blur (algorithm 'complex', amount 'medium') gives me just enough blending of the frames to prevent me perceiving it as choppy.

Oli

• Informative Informative x 1