Situational Awareness in R3E

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Why485, Jun 22, 2015.

1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I do like the spotter in iracing...very useful and as you say it adds to the immersion. For mirrors i prefer to use the on car mirrors when possible but sometimes the virtual mirror is a must depending on the car.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Defo, drives me round the bend, have a feeling this was designed by a non driver!

The engine/tyre hud is also positioned slap bang in middle of in car rear view mirror, doh

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  4. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I like how rFactor provides the possibility to have virtual side mirrors. This helps a lot to improve situational awareness. At least for me as a singlescreen user with low FOV setting.
    And i use a spotter plugin in rF2. Just a simple "car left", "car right", "clear" is really a useful warning, that you should better keep your line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. RuskyV

RuskyV Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I currently use TrackIR and use the One to One Profile and just drop the 1st Yaw axis movement pip in the graph down to zero to create a dead zone in the middle and disable all the other axis. I can move my head around a small amount without effecting the screen (I tend mimic the g force a little with natural head movement subconsciously). when I turn my head further than 12 degrees I get to check my left and right mirror without to much effort and I also find that I can look deeper into a tight corner without being disorientated. it feels quite natural and helps me alot with SA.

I was sceptical about using TrackIR as I always found it way to sensitive and disorientating to use for simracing but as a single monitor user I found that this particular set up works really well. just make sure you disable the other axis apart from yaw and you will have a much better solution to assigning buttons to snap your view left or right.

hope this helps in the meantime.

6. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I actually have TrackIR, but I haven't been using it because I never got around to setting it up. I sort of forgot about it. Anyway, I set it back up again and was quickly reminded how much I like it. The way it captures your own subconscious movements makes it really immersive.

Thanks for reminding me RuskyV, and yeah it definitely helps with situational awareness.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  7. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    In iRacing you can adjust the FOV of your rearview mirror to prevent this situation from happening.

8. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    The helicorsa app from AC is the best method I've used for being able to judge what's around me. It's also very unobtrusive as it only appears when there are cars in very close proximity....would love to see something like this in RR.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    I only wish everybody cared about this. I'm sure all you guys that have participated in this thread can make good and safe races just cause you do want to be aware of the rest of drivers. My worries go to the people who don't care about the others, you could provide them with high tech apps and features and they woudn't use them jus becuase they don't want to. Besides technology, I've found the human factor as the main issue about this topic. And yes, the Force can be as helpful as any app if you're willing tu use it. ;)

Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely...clean racing and situational awareness is no problem with the features RRE provides...but egomaniacs will always be egomaniacs...:rolleyes: