Slow penalties do not make sense to me....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stefan Mizzi, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Its a pain on many levels, i had two races tonight where i either hit someone that spun in front of me or go off track and avoid them, i went off track, any guesses what happened next?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I got a slowdown and it stopped the car so fast it spun around that is not a penalty that's almost end of race,
    Then when I got going and lost alot of places, I got about half way around the track and the one in front of me ran off just about enough to get a slowdown penalty and I slammed right in to him spun around 360 and got going.
    He was happy I think, I rocketed him out of his penalty and he was of in the horizon :p

So I would agree on all points it's pretty useless but what else do we have, part from drive through and stop an go.
    But as said before it work fairly well if you are quick to release the throttle, you mostly don't get a slowdown penalty then and don't lose so much from it...

3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    The only thing i really really wish is, that the cars that receives a slow down penalty switches to ghost during that time +1 sec.
    In close driving it is nearly impossible to notice it in time that the car in front receives a slow-down when he was just slightly to far off the line... the result is a contact with an unknown end...
    Or especially in spa after eau rouge it is sometimes like doing a slalom-race. Especially in the first lap it is very difficult 1. not to get a slow down, 2. avoid hitting one who get a slow down, 3. trying to overtake or defend a position between those who got a slow-down.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Many races are ruined by this slow penalty.......yesterday I was racing at Hockenheimring Grand Prix and I had a slow exit in the last corner....the guy behind me came beside me and attempted a risky overtake in the first corner....which you all know is a very tricky "fast" one......he went wide of course and I had no choice but to go a bit left as otherwise he would have crashed into me.

Of course I could not keep it into the line and got a penalty. In my opinion, there are more disadvantages than advantages with this slow penalties thing.

Most of my races are ruined with it. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    You should be able to slow down when you want during the lap as in Assetto Corsa.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i prefer if we stick to something more realistic , so the race 07 rules were pretty close to real life and are the best solution ...

going to hassle to see if its possible

Andi

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    What are these rules?

8. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    This.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I guess with hindsight its easy, but you would of thought the powers that be would of thought, ok we gonna do another racing game, wouldnt it be a good idea to carry over the best bits from our best highest rated most popular release to date?
    Naaah that would be too obvious!

Sorry, moaning againish :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    You say that like the guys from SimBin/S3S created R3E from scratch. They didn't, they inherited it and it may not have been created exactly to their liking, so some things that were possible in previous SimBin titles may not be so easy to implement into the RaceRoom engine. They're doing the best they can with what they were given, and some of the stuff they've managed to shoe-horn in to an existing product could be considered small miracles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Fair point, from who if i may ask?

12. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I don't remember all the details, but I believe RaceRoom (as a company/publisher and a game) existed before the S3S guys came onboard. It was not very good and they were tasked to improve it, and they have made massive improvements to it. Something like that anyway.

This is directly from the S3S page: "Established in 2014 by accomplished developers from SimBin Studios, Sector3 quickly assumed responsibility for the development of RaceRoom and began releasing updates to meet and exceed community expectations for the virtual racing platform." (emphasis mine)

• Like Like x 1
  13. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    But it was a product of Simbin origin and not completely unrelated to the RACE & GTR series.

14. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Slowdowns are the most stupid ideia ever in simracing.

To be more precise though, I understand the logic behind it just not having the *option* to disable it. Nevertheless, it still remains as the most stupid idea in simracing... ever.:eek:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I'm a bit foggy on the period between the two entities. I was under the impression that the S3S guys took over the existing RaceRoom product which was a bit of a mess when they got it and they've had to try their best to take what was there and turn it into something better.

16. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I'm playing Devil's Advocate a little bit here, as I don't disagree with the main point, but there are actually some single seaters at schools or track days that do this, based on GPS - the Palmer Sport ones, for example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Simbin basically became Sector3, shedding a load of staff in the process and, later, relocating offices. So it was more a case of starting afresh with a new studio with a new focus, or at least that's my understanding.

Getting back to the point, R3E is essentially of the same lineage as the RACE series so it's not unreasonable to expect some of the basic features of its eight-year-old predecessor to be carried across. The fact that R3E was so feature-light in the beginning (and still is) is perhaps why it's not considered a 'serious' sim by many.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    That does beg the question then of why was it so feature-light in the beginning and why haven't features from RACE been incorporated from the beginning? Not sure how I got the impression that S3S took over an existing product, but I was fairly confident in that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Not a fair point then, i take it back, bwaahaahaaaa :p

20. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Not to re-open old wounds....but - well, yes....I do want to re-open this!

Today's race was filled with slowdown crashes. I think Slow downs could be tweaked alittle bit.

I had posted video of 1.4 - 1.9? second slowdown penalty turning into 12 seconds at Monza when trying to address this issue in the past - just after the release of the Audi TT pack.
    a great response I got was - sometimes 1.4 seconds isn't really 1.4 seconds - :confused: or something to that effect. So, I deleted the video. I guess I don't know enough about the Theory of Relativity in relation to racing.....other than some of my relatives are a PITA! ;) so it's tough to make suggestions.

I liked someone's idea of becoming a ghost car when serving slowdown penalty. Use the existing coding and include slow down penalties as another parameter for wrecker prevention?