Question So, is VR now supported or not ?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Ben Joeres, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Ben Joeres

Ben Joeres Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Hello people,

since the preorder of the Oculus Rift is starting on Wednesday(https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/oculus-rift-pre-orders-to-open-on-jan-6/) i want to know if the VR support is now ready to go for RaceRoom. I know the Oculus wont be coming out 2 days later then but still its really soon(and i dont mean soon as the Nordschleife XD) but lets say they shipping it mid-January to end of January, will RaceRoom be ready for it? Its an important question for me since my new PC can handle the Rift and im really close to buy a ne monitor/TV only for Racing Games but im not sure if RaceRoom does support it. Anyone knows?

Greetings Ben

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    rift doesnt support dx9 ...raceroom is dx9
    as far as i understand
    Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Ben Joeres

Ben Joeres Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I see, where did u read that? On their page they not saying anything about DX support

For the full Rift experience, we recommend the following system:
    Video Card NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
    CPU Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
    Memory 8GB+ RAM
    Video Output Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
    USB Ports 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port
    OS Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer

also i use dx 12 on my pc and raceroom still works, i dont get that =) isnt it downward compatible? Should be or not? so rift supports only DX12 or what ? mhh

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    They dropped DX 9 and 10 support officially. I'm not that interested in VR so I don't know all the ins and outs but there are some third party drivers like http://www.vorpx.com/ out there already that let you play older games, like rF1 or Far Cry 3. No idea if they need to actually include a game in their supported list, or if it might work out of the box (as they claim many games do).

5. F19_CoNa

F19_CoNa Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Only the SDK1 and 2 are supporting DX9.
    For CV1 DX11 is mandatory.

So until we get DX11, CV1 will not be working. ( working racing DX11 titles today: AC,pC,DR and iR is comming)
    Will have to hope for Vive instead for R3E it seems like.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    A DX9 game can be run with DX10/11/12 GPU => that's were we are with R3E
    Hardware that requiers at least Dx11/12 can't be used with a Dx9 game => that's were the Occulus rift will be

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
  8. Ben Joeres

Ben Joeres Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    thx all for the information, i guess i will stick with project cars then till its supported :-( hopefully they upgrade it when the Nordschleife comes =)

9. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    There is some mis-information about ... Yes oculus dropped DX9 support, however DX9 games can still be modified to run on Dk2 and the new CV1 without having to implement changeover to DX11. The workarounds have been used by a few programmers including the guys who make Live For Speed which is a DX9 race title, yet still works on current Oculus SDK and will work on the release CV1 version with some modifications to the code. So in a nutshell, if Sector3 want to spend the time, they can make current RRRE Oculus Rift VR CV1 compatible. Please I really hope they do but it takes users to ask them and let them know how many of us out here are VR users.

Updated : Forgot to mention Euro Truck Simulator 2 ~ another DX9 game that was modified to work with the Oculus Rift and according to info available will be supported by CV1.
    Just another reason why RRRE can join those great drving titles in VR land ... we all be happy, happy, joy, joy :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  10. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I'm much more interested in the HTC Vive (which is now available for pre-order on Steam), it's technologically more interesting and (I think) will support DX9...

11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    What they say on their homepage sounds quite impressive, technically, but the price is also remarkable. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Indeed...

13. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Considering the non-mass market stage of pc VR (ignoring gearvr which focuses on that), price is okay imo. The room tracking and the hand controllers is well worth it. In a few years quality of display should go up and rest of hw cheaper.
    Also the "room" experience lends itself further to play with others watching. A bit like with the Wii, you'd swap with your friends and watch what they do on TV or so. So for multiple people the costs amortise better and the social experience is more fun than expected. The whole physical action of moving in a virtual room is cool, much more than sitting with a helmet on.

14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yea, of course, VR is still in its early adopters phase so high prices to compensate the high development cost are nothing out of the ordinary.
    From my personal pov, it's 900 €s for a gadget, but then again I'm not in the early adopters range of income atm. ;)
    Come to think of it... Back when Playstation 2 came out I had to have it on day one, spent 1200 bucks for that piece of junk (including some games and a second controller), money I earned by working at a sawmill all summer. :D

15. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Don't think it would work too well with the missus either, she finds it annoying enough when I'm wearing headphones, but at least I can see her when using a monitor...

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    But (as I think @mr_belowski pointed out) she could banish you into a cupboard with a vr headset and spare herself the sight of her partner playing with his vroom-vroom toy in the living room. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1